No announcement yet.

Killing Bobcats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're considered a furbearer here and there is a season on them. But from the start of December to the end of February I shoot them. I'd probably pass on a little one but I shoot them to make money and the little ones don't bring much. Beautiful ain't got nothing to do with killin nothin. Some people just have it in their mind if you can't eat it,don't kill it. Well....eat it then if that's your philosophy. Nobody ever said you can't eat predators. I ain't....but if you think that way...eat up. I think that whole thing about eating what you kill is a load of horse hockey anyways. The people talking like that better be having mouse kabobs when they have a rodent problem cause I guarantee you they ain't killin everything just to eat it.
    Last edited by okrattler; 11-07-2017, 09:52 AM.

Comment

I have shot several of them. You couldn't get me to pass up a shot at one. Now not so much. I have a nice rug & a nice life size mount. I think I would just rather watch them now. With that said, my sister in-law wants one for a life size mount. So if a good one comes by I will shoot it. We have a bunch of them on the property we hunt. See several every season.

Comment

I think bobcats are pretty cool animals and love seeing them; that being said I will shoot them if/when I see them. I know we have them, but don't don't see them on a regular basis at our ranch.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
          All I have killed have been tanned. I have 2 in the freezer now and only 1 has minimal damage for a full body. Luckily it's my biggest cat. The one I missed Sunday was same size and very similar to the one pictured above color and size wise. If I can get him down before the other heads to the taxi I just might be out $2k and have them both done in the same scene. Crazy what they cost but a good cat taxi isn't cheap! After that tanning is all I will do.
          Where do you get yours done? Was gonna have mine done at gods creations. Never thought about getting two done.. that would be cool with some quail..

Comment

I shoot every one I can, probably the best meat in the wood.

Comment

Originally posted by wloftis View Post
              I think bobcats are pretty cool animals and love seeing them; that being said I will shoot them if/when I see them. I know we have them, but don't don't see them on a regular basis at our ranch.
              I had only seen one in the wild my whole life then at the lease last year I saw 3 playing together while deer hunting. Called another in the next day within 5 yards!

Comment

Originally posted by randal View Post
                Where do you get yours done? Was gonna have mine done at gods creations. Never thought about getting two done.. that would be cool with some quail..
                I am trying to decide actually. God's Creation has some impressive work. Mark Couture I believe is his name and I'm pretty sure a member here. He charges $950 for the cat and then the scene is extra. Im also thinking about using my main Taxi (TexanTax) here on TBH. Haven't really decided yet.

Comment

Originally posted by PEC View Post
                  I shoot every one I can, probably the best meat in the wood.
                  Ive heard the meat is good but haven't set my mind to tasting it. I just might have too. Processor in town swears by it and makes stew.

Comment

Kill em all

Comment

Personally I won't shoot a bobcat only because I rarely see them. We have one on our Kerr County property that I have watched a few different times. I don't care if others kill em, but I won't simply for the fact I have seen so few. Same with mountain lions

Comment

Whack em and stack em. Wait till u look up from ur pop up and see one staring at u from 5 yds. NOT cool

Comment

I have shot several over the years. The largest one I had mounted and I have to say it is one of my favorites. However, I quit shooting them awhile back and now enjoy watching them when I see one. I have no problem with people who blast them, and I understand the need for predator control in deer management. I just personally quit faulting them for doing what the good Lord created them to do.

Comment

Originally posted by BRYAN@ANDERS View Post
                            I have shot several over the years. The largest one I had mounted and I have to say it is one of my favorites. However, I quit shooting them awhile back and now enjoy watching them when I see one. I have no problem with people who blast them, and I understand the need for predator control in deer management. I just personally quit faulting them for doing what the good Lord created them to do.
                            Very good point. I debated shooting the one Sunday. After missing it (chip shot) I started to wonder. Watching it move through the grass was neat. Stopping every 10-15 ft and only thing moving was it's tail. If it wasn't for that I wouldnt have known it was there. Fawn crop was weak this year. Not that they weren't born but disappeared. I figured Coyotes for one were the issue but in the last month every camera check has shown Bobcats.

This was my last camera check. Coyote with a deer leg. (Thought maybe youth wknd someone shot a deer and disposed of legs but didn't hear any shots.) The cat was Saturday. I killed a big Tom at 7:30. This cat came by 700 yds from where I liked the other at 9:20. Sunday I shot at a darker cat back at the same setup I killed the other Saturday.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Kill em all. We've killed 15 or 16 (lost count) on our lease in 2 years. They take a toll on the quail, turkey, and deer, no doubt.

Comment

For the naysayers- here's a bobcat attacking a deer.

Comment

Working...
                                X