Welding jealousy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welding jealousy!

Alright guys. I’m tired of being envious of all the DIY stands,feeders, Wok-its etc....

Spare me the search function comment please. I prefer this.

So you guys that have started welding as a hobby, where did you start? What machine? Any other helpful tips? Thanks!!!

Justin

Miller 180 with auto set. Love the machine. Got the big bottle on it and it lasts a long time when just hobby welding.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasCanesFan View Post
      Miller 180 with auto set. Love the machine. Got the big bottle on it and it lasts a long time when just hobby welding.
      Thanks TCF!

Comment

Looks like they no longer make the 180 and IOC says the replacement is the 211. That gives you 220 and not just 110.

Comment

Lincoln 140 weld pack. 120v and flux core makes for easy welding. Will handle 1/4 steel no problem.

Comment

12 years old on the back of my Dad's pipeline rig. It was a Lincoln SA250 or 300.....not sure, as its been a while ago. My only real recommendation is to get a 220 rather than a 110. The Miller machines are far better than they used to be years ago. Back in the day there were called "blue tumors".

Comment

I wouldn't start with a 110v unit, you won't get the results you need or want. Lincoln or Miller are fine. If you watch a couple youtube vids you will be a good welder in short order.
              Understand you will need some consumables on hand, ( tips, nozzles, shrouds etc...), you can buy kits online or go to your local welding house.

Comment

I appreciate the responses guys.

Comment

I started with a Lincoln cracker box years ago.
                  A lot will depend on where and what you plan to do. I see on here where most guys have some kind of wire welder in their garage or shop. So then, you are limited to that one place. I've used wire welders on the job in years past and you will ALWAYS have some kind of trouble with them.
                  Why not learn to stick weld, buy a gas powered machine that you can take anywhere at anytime?

Comment

Welding in the shop or garage.....get the biggest wire feed you can afford. The smaller ones with low duty cycle will try your patience. Once you get going good, you will hit your duty cycle and have to wait for it to cool off. I run a Miller 252, but would recommend a Hobart Ironman in similar size. They're made by the same people and use the same tips, rollers, sleeves, etc. The Hobart will be cheaper.

With a wire feed, you have to stay out of the wind, and your material has to be clean. Can be a pain sometimes working with dirty, rusty material. Have to spend more time prepping weld areas.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I started with the Hobart Handler 140 and it did everything I needed it to do. I built feeders, deer stand towers, and many other things.
                      I now have the Millermatic 211 and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If your on a budget check out the Eastwood welders. I’ve had the 175 for a while and with very few issues. Helped me pay for college doing side work.

Comment

Thanks again fellas.

Comment

for stick welding you cant go wrong with Lincoln Red box welder for price, durability, and ease of use.
                            others may wish to comment on learning to stick weld first vs using the wire feed mig welder first.

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
                              for stick welding you cant go wrong with Lincoln Red box welder for price, durability, and ease of use.
                              others may wish to comment on learning to stick weld first vs using the wire feed mig welder first.

Make sure it’s an AC/DC machine, if you go with the Lincoln tombstone. I started on my dads Lincoln SA200 pipeliner. I bought a small Miller 211 110/220, then upgraded to a Miller 210. Mig is easier than stick, but it’s good to know how to stick weld. Also, you could look at a multi process machine, TIG, MIG, Stick....It’s convenient to have them all in one machine, but the more processes it has, the more of a chance that it’s not great at any of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X