Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-14-2020, 08:30 AM   #1
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs
Default Ozark - Season 3: FOR THOSE THAT HAVE FINISHED WATCHING

Finished watching Season 3 of Ozark last night. Jeez. I haven't felt that level of t.v. tension since the end of The Shield. Some thoughts...

Wendy - I fully expected her to kill her her brother. Would've had more respect for her if she had. She's a sorry human among a bunch of sorry humans.

Darlene - Crazy, but effective. Very direct.

Darlene, Wyatt, and Ruth will be formidable.

Glad F. Cosgrove Jr. got what he had coming.

Just can't wait to see the next reinvention of Marty and Wendy's family and life. That boy is short fuse that is burning.

Helen's brains on Wendy's face was fitting. Jeez.

Can't wait for the next season.
mikemorvan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2020, 08:34 AM   #2
SwampRanger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Batson

Best season yet
SwampRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2020, 08:42 AM   #3
TexasAggie04
Ten Point

Hunt In: LaSalle, Wharton, Fort Bend, & Union County NM.

Best season so far! Can’t wait to see what season 4 has in store.
TexasAggie04 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2020, 08:46 AM   #4
LWC
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRanger View Post
Best season yet
I agree. The acting and writing was awesome. Except for Wendy's brother Ben. I thought he was pretty bad and did not mind seeing him leave.
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2020, 08:52 AM   #5
PoohDaddy
Six Point

Finished last night as well, That ending blind sided me! What a great series, Hate that its so long between seasons!
PoohDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2020, 08:54 AM   #6
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...=764079&page=2
Craziness
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2020, 08:55 AM   #7
bowaddict40
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWC View Post
I agree. The acting and writing was awesome. Except for Wendy's brother Ben. I thought he was pretty bad and did not mind seeing him leave.
Really? I thought he did a pretty good job at being a crazy.
bowaddict40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2020, 08:56 AM   #8
abilliott
Six Point

The ending really through me off. I am usually pretty good at seeing things coming but didn't see Helen dying, much less in that fashion. What did I miss there? Why did Navarro do it?
abilliott is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2020, 08:58 AM   #9
breederbuck33
Ten Point

Quote:
The guy playing Ben absolutely nailed that role! I don't understand why people don't like the role Ben played. I thought he was great, and they used him to deepen their ties with the cartel. Season ends with Wendy and Marty in an embrace by Navarro himself covered in Helen's blood. I regret not waiting till the series was finished to start watching it! I hate I have to wait for season 4.
breederbuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2020, 09:01 AM   #10
bowaddict40
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

Quote:
Originally Posted by abilliott View Post
The ending really through me off. I am usually pretty good at seeing things coming but didn't see Helen dying, much less in that fashion. What did I miss there? Why did Navarro do it?
He did it because he knew Helen was lying to him and could no longer be trusted.
bowaddict40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2020, 09:02 AM   #11
gonzaleziam
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hidalgo County

Crazy Good/Awesome series.

Thoughts on why lawyer was killed? Was she planning her exit from the cartel? Was she stealing? Maybe I missed it.
gonzaleziam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2020, 09:06 AM   #12
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowaddict40 View Post
He did it because he knew Helen was lying to him and could no longer be trusted.
Lying to him about what?
jshouse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2020, 09:17 AM   #13
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
Lying to him about what?
She was getting a plea bargain(for the byrds) from the feds to give navarro so he would kill the byrds off and she could take over their businesses without them. I'm betting the fbi agent lady tipped off navarro during their plane ride.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2020, 09:24 AM   #14
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

I thought Navarro didn't like Helen's ethics. Some pretty fine moral distinctions made in the underworld. In episode 6 or 7, i think, Helen made a comment that depending on how things went, and what Navarro thought, some one would wind up being redundant / expendable.

I also thought the guy that played Ben did a great job of acting. Not sure about his role being necessary, but he did a good job in the role. It was really creepy when he smiled at the robo-assassin at the end.

I guess nothing in the world rattles Marty.

Last edited by mikemorvan; 04-14-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:40 AM   #15
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
She was getting a plea bargain(for the byrds) from the feds to give navarro so he would kill the byrds off and she could take over their businesses without them. I'm betting the fbi agent lady tipped off navarro during their plane ride.
Right, because she knew Marty and Wendy were a s show lol. She had already told Navarro she wanted to take over. Maybe we will get a flashback in season 4 and see what went down.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:06 AM   #16
crittergetter76
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by breederbuck33 View Post
The guy playing Ben absolutely nailed that role! I don't understand why people don't like the role Ben played. I thought he was great, and they used him to deepen their ties with the cartel. Season ends with Wendy and Marty in an embrace by Navarro himself covered in Helen's blood. I regret not waiting till the series was finished to start watching it! I hate I have to wait for season 4.
Ben was an annoying addition. He pulled some stupid stuff. BUT, the actor portraying him was outstanding. He showed a crazy range of emotion, convincingly. For being such a late addition to the show he made his performance memorable.
crittergetter76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2020, 10:15 AM   #17
Hobbs
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I guess Nelson lied to Helen when she asked him if he ever got the call to kill her he would tell her. She sure didn't look like she knew what was about to happen.
Hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2020, 10:20 AM   #18
breederbuck33
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergetter76 View Post
Ben was an annoying addition. He pulled some stupid stuff. BUT, the actor portraying him was outstanding. He showed a crazy range of emotion, convincingly. For being such a late addition to the show he made his performance memorable.
I totally agree. I agree he was annoying, but he was also necessary! I bet that becomes more clear next season when Ruth turns against them.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:23 AM   #19
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Really good show but I can't stand Wendy. Reasons: 1. worked on obama campaign, 2. cheated on husband, 3. she isn't as smart as she thinks she is, 4. she's the word that rhymes with hunt
Aggiehunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2020, 10:24 AM   #20
LWC
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by breederbuck33 View Post
He is a yankee that grew up in New Jersey. I couldn't get over the fake, over exaggerated southern accent. He just didn't come off as authentic to me.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:27 AM   #21
ca1219
Six Point

Quote:
Man, I disagree with this 100% I thought his acting in the show was at the top of everyone. I personally wasn't a fan of the character but I completely understand why they introduced him to the show.
ca1219 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2020, 10:28 AM   #22
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

Ben struggling with bipolar disorder for my wife and I was convincing and tough to watch having see it in a loved one.
Gunnyart is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2020, 10:49 AM   #23
boomerball
Ten Point

Quote:
I kind of wondered if her tipping Marty "do not get on that plane" was enough to consider her as compromised ... hence his "thank you for the warning" as he stepped on the plane ... does/did navarro have Marty's phone tapped so he knew the deal?
boomerball is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2020, 10:59 AM   #24
LWC
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1219 View Post
Man, I disagree with this 100% I thought his acting in the show was at the top of everyone. I personally wasn't a fan of the character but I completely understand why they introduced him to the show.
I agree that he did a great job at the nut house. But I had a hard time getting over his golly gee, gomer pyle style southern accent. I told my wife he wasn't really from the south. I looked it up and he grew up in NJ.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:33 AM   #25
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

Quote:
I agree that he did a great job at the nut house. But I had a hard time getting over his golly gee, gomer pyle style southern accent. I told my wife he wasn't really from the south. I looked it up and he grew up in NJ.
I get that and their attempt at every turn to portray middle America or conservatism from their Hollywood elitist liberal view was tiresome.
Gunnyart is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2020, 12:43 PM   #26
James
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb County, Kansas, Out West

Great season!
James is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2020, 01:51 PM   #27
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Absolutely a great season can’t wait for the next.
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2020, 01:56 PM   #28
sotx
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

Quote:
I agree could have done without the stupid brother.
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2020, 07:41 PM   #29
Lynn21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Tx

The only thing that show lacks is a hot girl.
Lynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2020, 08:01 PM   #30
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn21 View Post
This is so true....youíd think they could at least sneak one in. 🤔

Martyís daughter is the hottest but that sounds creepy coming from someone my age 😂😂
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2020, 11:17 PM   #31
Jamesl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado, New Mexico

Quote:
The could be how he knew. Thanks.
Jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2020, 11:19 PM   #32
Jamesl
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn21 View Post
I'm not in disagreement with you but, it such good writing/acting that it is not needed to carry the show.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:22 PM   #33
Jamesl
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
Really good show but I can't stand Wendy. Reasons: 1. worked on obama campaign, 2. cheated on husband, 3. she isn't as smart as she thinks she is, 4. she's the word that rhymes with hunt
I was hoping she got a bullet too. .
Old 04-14-2020, 11:36 PM   #34
MassMan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fisher, Erath

The season would have been better if the students had thrown Ben into the shredder and taken back their phones.
MassMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2020, 07:35 AM   #35
LWC
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassMan View Post
The season would have been better if the students had thrown Ben into the shredder and taken back their phones.
I agree. The show already had enough interesting story lines. But I would have been ok if if the writers had added Wendy's hot sister with a drinking problem and loose britches
Old 04-15-2020, 08:28 AM   #36
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uh yeah. About that...

Ben and Ruth didnít seem to enjoy their horizontal humpty dance scenes very much. Canít believe Helen got blasted. Great season. Almost didnít want to watch Season 3, because I was satisfied with the outcome after the end of Season 2.

I do think the show is at a potentially precarious point though. Either they wrap it up in season 4, or it becomes the Walking Dead (and remember Prison Break?), where the plot just becomes more pathetic in its attempt to one up itself. I do not need to watch any stupidness of where Marty hires the cartel to steal the FBI ladyís newborn baby, and they give it to Ruth as payment for killing Ben, and then thereís a spin off show about the lives of Zeke and the FBI baby growing up, both kidnapped and unaware, and blah blah blah. I could totally see that happening though.

I think show writers want to try and match or beat Breaking Badís longevity, but thatís a tough one. Ozark could do it, but itís getting sketchy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2020, 08:37 AM   #37
Easttxbowman
Ten Point

Hated Ben's character but I get the reasoning. I'm fairly certain the byrds were getting on the plane to be killed but Maya was pushed into giving up evidence to the FBI of the rival cartels domestic ties when she found out Marty was getting on the plane. The news was announced and Navarro caught wind of what Marty had done for him, thus having no need for Helen if Marty was so loyal.

Also, I'm 100% certain there wasnt a more fitting song to go along with Helen being whacked.

Cannot wait for season 4
Easttxbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2020, 08:44 AM   #38
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easttxbowman View Post
Hated Ben's character but I get the reasoning. I'm fairly certain the byrds were getting on the plane to be killed but Maya was pushed into giving up evidence to the FBI of the rival cartels domestic ties when she found out Marty was getting on the plane. The news was announced and Navarro caught wind of what Marty had done for him, thus having no need for Helen if Marty was so loyal.

Also, I'm 100% certain there wasnt a more fitting song to go along with Helen being whacked.

Cannot wait for season 4
Makes sense, seems like Charlotte mentioned Jonah having video of the rival cartel killing the drop off guys and then I don't remember it coming back up. Maya may have gotten possession of that video and Navarro found out the FBI was going to act on it...
Old 04-15-2020, 08:47 AM   #39
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpitdog View Post
Ben and Ruth didnít seem to enjoy their horizontal humpty dance scenes very much. Canít believe Helen got blasted. Great season. Almost didnít want to watch Season 3, because I was satisfied with the outcome after the end of Season 2.

I do think the show is at a potentially precarious point though. Either they wrap it up in season 4, or it becomes the Walking Dead (and remember Prison Break?), where the plot just becomes more pathetic in its attempt to one up itself. I do not need to watch any stupidness of where Marty hires the cartel to steal the FBI ladyís newborn baby, and they give it to Ruth as payment for killing Ben, and then thereís a spin off show about the lives of Zeke and the FBI baby growing up, both kidnapped and unaware, and blah blah blah. I could totally see that happening though.

I think show writers want to try and match or beat Breaking Badís longevity, but thatís a tough one. Ozark could do it, but itís getting sketchy.

I agree, it doesn't need to drag on much longer now. Have Marty come up with a clever way to keep Navarro happy just long enough to figure a way out and ride off into the sunset with his kids. They could lose Wendy along the way but the way the season wrapped up it seemed to me like Marty and Wendy are solidifying.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:55 AM   #40
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Makes sense, seems like Charlotte mentioned Jonah having video of the rival cartel killing the drop off guys and then I don't remember it coming back up. Maya may have gotten possession of that video and Navarro found out the FBI was going to act on it...
The video was a big part of the last few minutes. It was disclosed to FBI lady.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:58 AM   #41
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorvan View Post
The video was a big part of the last few minutes. It was disclosed to FBI lady.
Well ****, it was late and Jack Daniels
Old 04-15-2020, 09:05 AM   #42
LWC
Ten Point

Quote:
Well ****, it was late and Jack Daniels
A lot of good memories have ended this way. Some bad ones too
Old 04-15-2020, 09:08 AM   #43
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
I agree, it doesn't need to drag on much longer now. Have Marty come up with a clever way to keep Navarro happy just long enough to figure a way out and ride off into the sunset with his kids. They could lose Wendy along the way but the way the season wrapped up it seemed to me like Marty and Wendy are solidifying.

Seen a few things online about whether Ben is actually dead. I think heís got to be...unless...

Having Ben killed and Marty not show one bit of emotion makes it easier for the writers to twist the emotions of the viewers. Now weíre not cheering for the Byrds to get out of this quite as much as we were. Some of us want to see Wendy get whacked. Maybe Marty too. Set their kids free. Helen had already sold her soul, but seeing her motherly side made her death a little more of a *******.

So they spin all this conflict up, make us root for Ruth and Wyatt to get a little peace and happiness for once, and then as Marty and Wendy are finally executed by Navarro, the closing scene is Ruth getting a postcard from Ben.

Anythingís possible after the Tiger King.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:13 AM   #44
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Seen a few things online about whether Ben is actually dead. I think heís got to be...unless...

Having Ben killed and Marty not show one bit of emotion makes it easier for the writers to twist the emotions of the viewers. Now weíre not cheering for the Byrds to get out of this quite as much as we were. Some of us want to see Wendy get whacked. Maybe Marty too. Set their kids free. Helen had already sold her soul, but seeing her motherly side made her death a little more of a *******.

So they spin all this conflict up, make us root for Ruth and Wyatt to get a little peace and happiness for once, and then as Marty and Wendy are finally executed by Navarro, the closing scene is Ruth getting a postcard from Ben.

Anythingís possible after the Tiger King.

I mentioned to my wife the other night that it's crazy that we "root for" some of the worst people in the world. I agree, at this point i'd like for Ruth and Wyatt to be very successful local heroin manufacturers. Jeez.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:27 AM   #45
LWC
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorvan View Post
I mentioned to my wife the other night that it's crazy that we "root for" some of the worst people in the world. I agree, at this point i'd like for Ruth and Wyatt to be very successful local heroin manufacturers. Jeez.
It is funny what some of these shows get you rooting for. I'm rooting for Darlene to keep her clothes on
Old 04-15-2020, 09:39 AM   #46
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
It is funny what some of these shows get you rooting for. I'm rooting for Darlene to keep her clothes on

The highlight of Season 3 is when Wyatt took up the entire screen so that we were spared the trauma of Darlene disrobing

Old 04-15-2020, 09:40 AM   #47
Trkhunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Llano

I feel like they set it up for Ben to still be alive
Trkhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2020, 10:08 AM   #48
LWC
Ten Point

Quote:
The highlight of Season 3 is when Wyatt took up the entire screen so that we were spared the trauma of Darlene disrobing

Some things have definitely changed for the worst. Back in my day if you saw some nudity it was usually a nice twenty-something lady. Now days these shows want to show old folks and dudes. I feel sorry for the younger generations.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:12 AM   #49
powderburner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Zapata-San Ygnacio

great ending.

I did not see Helen getting taken out. But I love it.
I see Marty being left to run the Ozarks

Wendy using the cartel money to get into the state government. And becoming really close the cartel.

Darlene and company will end up rising to power. Lots of blood shed then coming into alignment with the game.
powderburner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2020, 10:53 AM   #50
breederbuck33
Ten Point

Ya'll are all forgetting about the KC Mob. Marty did cut ties with them over Ruth. Then Darlene blew Jr's smeckle into the pavement, and Ruth left Marty's side. So now Marty might have to get the KC Mob back teamed up with the Cartel to take on Darlene and Ruth. Who knows?