Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-12-2018, 07:08 PM   #1
cajuntec
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Natalia TX
Default Rent a U-Haul trailer, or get a camper shell / tonneau cover?

If you were going cross country, and had to move stuff as safe as possible, would you rent a U-Haul trailer to pull behind the truck, or get a camper shell / tonneau cover and just haul stuff in the bed and back of the cab area?

I'm planning on staying at campground(s) for this trip - 1 or 2 stops, depending on how I'm feeling. When I moved here 10 years ago, doing the same trip I'm contemplating now, it was a one-stop thing. That was in my 40s. Now I'm 50ish... (more bathroom breaks these days)

At first, I was shying away from U-Haul due to the 55mph max tow speed thing. I know I can probably haul it faster, but don't want to risk a blowout or damage due to not following their guidelines. My buddy said they get squirrelly at higher speeds.

But I'm having a hard time finding a topper / camper / cover for my truck.

All the best,
Glenn
cajuntec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2018, 07:37 PM   #2
Outlaw_6
Pope & Young

Hunt In: LA and "The H"
Default Rent a U-Haul trailer, or get a camper shell / tonneau cover?

I would go with the cover/shell if you are planning on keeping the truck for a while. At least you would be able to use it more than once.

However, just for the one task you described, I would go with the trailer because it would be easier to get items on and off with a dolly.

Last edited by Outlaw_6; 11-12-2018 at 07:40 PM.
Outlaw_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2018, 07:53 PM   #3
Boss Buck
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stephen Co.

Buy your own enclosed trailer. Then you can pull it as fast SS you want? Or reasonable rate?
Boss Buck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2018, 07:57 PM   #4
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Buy a trailer like mentioned or a camper shell.
Camper shells are seldom appreciated, but when you dont have one and need one it really bites.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2018, 08:03 PM   #5
N Dubya
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hunt what?

The cost of trailer rental, mpg reduction, and the pain involved with pulling a little trailer, I'd buy a camper shell. I see nice full-sized fiberglass/painted models on Craigslist all the time in the $500 dollar range. What kind of truck do you have?
N Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #6
zbest_hunter
Four Point

I would probably go with the camper shell. You will probably get more use out of it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
zbest_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2018, 09:15 PM   #7
cajuntec
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Dubya View Post
The cost of trailer rental, mpg reduction, and the pain involved with pulling a little trailer, I'd buy a camper shell. I see nice full-sized fiberglass/painted models on Craigslist all the time in the $500 dollar range. What kind of truck do you have?
2014 Ram Quad Cab w/ the 6í4Ē bed. Iíve been scouring Craigslist. Found a lot of 5í7Ē bed models, as well as different cabs (supposedly Mega cab is angled and quad is not - Iím going to test that with one I found recently, but itís a 4 hour round trip.

All the best,
Glenn
Old 11-13-2018, 09:08 PM   #8
N Dubya
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajuntec View Post
2014 Ram Quad Cab w/ the 6í4Ē bed. Iíve been scouring Craigslist. Found a lot of 5í7Ē bed models, as well as different cabs (supposedly Mega cab is angled and quad is not - Iím going to test that with one I found recently, but itís a 4 hour round trip.

All the best,
Glenn
I'll keep my eyes open for one. What color is your truck?
Old 11-13-2018, 09:27 PM   #9
sideways
Ten Point

I have rented camper shells before traveling to Colorado the color didnít match but it was cheaper then buying one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
sideways is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 10:48 PM   #10
cajuntec
Pope & Young

Quote:
I'll keep my eyes open for one. What color is your truck?
Ultimate Steel (dark gray metallic). But Iím not picky on the color at all. As long as it fits correctly, Iím good.
Thank you.
All the best,
Glenn
Old 11-13-2018, 10:49 PM   #11
cajuntec
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
I have rented camper shells before traveling to Colorado the color didnít match but it was cheaper then buying one.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This will be a one way trip though.
All the best,
Glenn
Old 11-14-2018, 03:36 AM   #12
Tejas Wildlife
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever I happen to be!
Default I will sell mine cheap

Quote:

All the best,
Glenn
Used it on an older model 6.5 ft Dodge. Repainted it black in 2016. LEER model. Will be home on Sat and could measure it. Hadnít been used for 2 years. $150 and it is yours. I live Easy of Waco.
Tejas Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 06:55 AM   #13
N Dubya
Ten Point

Possible, he only has it listed as 6" but the image he posted looks like a quad cab. A little higher priced though.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pt...732339248.html

The length and price are right, but its missing the back glass, and the post is from October.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pt...714048692.html
Old 11-14-2018, 07:59 AM   #14
wsteffen
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jewitt, TX or any where else I can find to go

Last time I checked, it was just over $100 to rent the small enclosed u-haul trailer one way. I wouldn't be afraid to pull one if I was staying in campgrounds. Parking them in a hotel parking lot is asking to have it broke into. I see them going down the highway all the time at 70 mph. In the near future we will be renting one to pull behind our RV to move some stuff to northern NY.
wsteffen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 09:17 AM   #15
Smithwr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Vernon TX

You can pull them 85mph all day long. At least from sweetwater to midlothian you can
Smithwr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 10:23 AM   #16
KyleW
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gordon TX

You should be just fine towing faster than 55, as long as your weight is distributed well and the tires are full of air to the tire's specs.
KyleW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 10:39 AM   #17
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Ultimate Steel (dark gray metallic). But I’m not picky on the color at all. As long as it fits correctly, I’m good.
Thank you.
All the best,
Glenn
I would highly suggest buying a 6x12 trailer vs camper shell. As I say that, I currently have a camper shell on mine for hunting season. Here is why:

The trailer, its easy walk in walk out. With a camper shell, you have to climb in, which gets hard on my knees, and I am 32. You can walk in to get to the front of a trailer, or open the side door to get to the front. With the camper shell, you need to organize your stuff in such a way that stuff you need is near the tailgate, and stuff you don't is pushed towards the front. If you plan to camp inside the shell on top of that, you will have to reorganize all your crap to make sleeping area. Finally, in a trailer, no one can see what is inside, and less opportunity for theft.

That being said, if you go with camper shell, start calling truck accessory shops. I got mine at a massive discount because a car dealer ordered one, and never too delivery. It is color matched and everything, for about half the price of the same fiberglass topper had I ordered it. It is a LEER XQ100.

Last edited by WItoTX; 11-14-2018 at 10:40 AM. Reason: .
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 03:31 PM   #18
smokeless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

Have you thought of making a plywood box to fit your bed. Screw it all together and when finished, unscrew it. Four feet tall, lots of room.
smokeless is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 03:47 PM   #19
ramrod
Six Point

If it would all fit in the truck I would get a camper shell, otherwise uhaul. Uhaul trailer also has numerous tie-down poits for your load.
ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 09:22 PM   #20
cajuntec
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
Used it on an older model 6.5 ft Dodge. Repainted it black in 2016. LEER model. Will be home on Sat and could measure it. Hadnít been used for 2 years. $150 and it is yours. I live Easy of Waco.
Iíd appreciate it. Thank you. It may not fit the cab, because they changed the design in 2009. So if itís older, the bed size may fit, but the cab angle may be wrong, and may hit. Still interested though - just in case it does fit.
All the best,
Glenn
Old 11-14-2018, 09:24 PM   #21
cajuntec
Pope & Young

Quote:
Possible, he only has it listed as 6" but the image he posted looks like a quad cab. A little higher priced though.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pt...732339248.html

The length and price are right, but its missing the back glass, and the post is from October.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pt...714048692.html
Thank you. Iíll email the person with the newer one. I donít have a bunch of time, so ordering new back glass for the other will probably take too long.
All the best,
Glenn
Old 11-14-2018, 09:28 PM   #22
cajuntec
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsteffen View Post
Last time I checked, it was just over $100 to rent the small enclosed u-haul trailer one way. I wouldn't be afraid to pull one if I was staying in campgrounds. Parking them in a hotel parking lot is asking to have it broke into. I see them going down the highway all the time at 70 mph. In the near future we will be renting one to pull behind our RV to move some stuff to northern NY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithwr View Post
You can pull them 85mph all day long. At least from sweetwater to midlothian you can
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleW View Post
You should be just fine towing faster than 55, as long as your weight is distributed well and the tires are full of air to the tire's specs.
Thanks. About 24 hours worth of driving on the highways to get where Iím going. Iíll likely stay in campgrounds regardless of camper shell or trailer. I feel safer there, when I know Iím right near my stuff. Staying in a tent.
All the best,
Glenn
Old 11-14-2018, 09:35 PM   #23
cajuntec
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
I would highly suggest buying a 6x12 trailer vs camper shell. As I say that, I currently have a camper shell on mine for hunting season. Here is why:

The trailer, its easy walk in walk out. With a camper shell, you have to climb in, which gets hard on my knees, and I am 32. You can walk in to get to the front of a trailer, or open the side door to get to the front. With the camper shell, you need to organize your stuff in such a way that stuff you need is near the tailgate, and stuff you don't is pushed towards the front. If you plan to camp inside the shell on top of that, you will have to reorganize all your crap to make sleeping area. Finally, in a trailer, no one can see what is inside, and less opportunity for theft.

That being said, if you go with camper shell, start calling truck accessory shops. I got mine at a massive discount because a car dealer ordered one, and never too delivery. It is color matched and everything, for about half the price of the same fiberglass topper had I ordered it. It is a LEER XQ100.
Thank you. Iím only looking for one for this move. Iíve had camper shells on both my previous trucks, so I knew they were hard to maneuver inside. But they met my security needs when traveling. I canít buy a trailer because my final destination does not have room for it to keep. Iíve called the local shops. Not much of a discount. They had one as you described - ordered, not picked up. Wanted $2K for it. Ouch!
All the best,
Glenn
Old 11-15-2018, 12:11 AM   #24
Tejas Wildlife
Ten Point

Default No problem

Quote:
Iíd appreciate it. Thank you. It may not fit the cab, because they changed the design in 2009. So if itís older, the bed size may fit, but the cab angle may be wrong, and may hit. Still interested though - just in case it does fit.
All the best,
Glenn
I SHOULD get home Saturday. If I donít send photos and measurements by Sunday, Please remind me. Been gone 3 weeks so may not recognize my place!!!🤣
Old 11-15-2018, 06:37 AM   #25
cajuntec
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
I SHOULD get home Saturday. If I donít send photos and measurements by Sunday, Please remind me. Been gone 3 weeks so may not recognize my place!!!🤣

All the best,
Glenn
Old 11-17-2018, 07:24 AM   #26
N Dubya
Ten Point

Looks like a quad cab.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:50 AM   #27
rebelbow
Ten Point

Hunt In: tx,ks,ok

use a POD and ship it
rebelbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2018, 07:57 AM   #28
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

A camper/topper would be my choice. When searching craiglist make sure you search for topper as well as camper. Additionally, search for camper and topper in the car/truck for sale section as peeps list them in the wrong section.

I was recently told that used car lots tend to have many campers/toppers that they remove from vehicles they intend to sell. You might call around and check with the places around SA.
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2018, 05:04 PM   #29
cajuntec
Pope & Young

Quote:
Looks like a quad cab.
I canít find that one. I searched. Wonder if it sold already? That is a great price, and that does look like a quad cab.
All the best,
Glenn
Old 11-17-2018, 08:51 PM   #30
cajuntec
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbow View Post
use a POD and ship it
Nope. Not this cargo.
All the best,
Glenn
Old 11-17-2018, 09:11 PM   #31
Tejas Wildlife
Ten Point

Default Measured my camper

Quote:
All the best,
Glenn
It is 70 in wide and 80.5 in long. Front windshield and frame angles forward from perpendicular. I am not able to bring it to you but you are welcome to come here and try it
Old 11-17-2018, 09:18 PM   #32
brushtrooper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County

I rent U haul trailers quit often. Make sure to load it where its a little tongue heavy and it will follow you all day long with out being squirrelly. I don't worry about the 55mph thing, pulls fine 75mph plus
brushtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top