• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So how many times have you been bitten?

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
      So how many times have you been bitten?
      Twice so far and scratched once. One was a really bad bite. The second time wasn't too fun either but I survived without medical attention. The scratch wasn't no big deal.

Until a few years ago the only snake catchers I owned were my hands.
      Last edited by okrattler; 03-24-2018, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
        Sell them there ?
        Yeah they buy them. I don't know how much they're going for now so it's basically just for fun and being part of of an Oklahoma tradition. Okeene is home of the first rattlesnake roundup that was ever started. I have a lot of good buddies over in Waynoka so it's fun to go and hang out with those guys and be part of it all. It's a big deal in Waynoka. Thousands of people show up to it every year. It's just a fun weekend. I enter the big rattlesnake contest over there every year.
        Last edited by okrattler; 03-24-2018, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
          Twice so far....
          Until a few years ago the only snake catchers I owned were my hands.
          I like you man, but I'm beginning to think you're not wound too tight.

Comment

I like you man, but I'm beginning to think you're not wound too tight.
            Lol I think a lot of people think that. I'm a lot more careful than I used to be. Snake bites are pretty hard on a person.

I was back out catching snakes the day after I was released from the hospital. My arm and hand were still swollen up. The doctors really didn't recommend I did much of anything for a while but....The truth is I pretty much have always done what I felt like doing. Recommended or not. Some things never change.
            Last edited by okrattler; 03-24-2018, 10:02 PM.

Comment

I have gone looking several times so far where I live. Not seen a one yet, surely I didn’t get em all last year. How many typically inhabit a den?

Comment

Originally posted by Ispdnxs View Post
                I have gone looking several times so far where I live. Not seen a one yet, surely I didn’t get em all last year. How many typically inhabit a den?
                It really just depends. For the dens around here somewhere around 30 or so probably. Sometimes more than that.

One of my buddies down in Sweetwater,Texas caught 80 out of a den last year. I don't ever take small snakes to ensure the den stays alive.
                Last edited by okrattler; 03-24-2018, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                  It really just depends. For the dens around here somewhere around 30 or so probably. Sometimes more than that.

One of my buddies down in Sweetwater,Texas caught 80 out of a den last year. I don't ever take small snakes to insure the den stays alive.
                  Perfect, took 15 out of the population in the last 4 days before the cold snap last year. Was hoping my late night entertainment wasn’t over. None were huge, but I have never seen a really big one around here. Would say all were around 4-5’.

Comment

I saw that you said to be careful of your shadow, are they often just hanging at the mouth of the den?

Comment

Originally posted by Awalk View Post
                      I saw that you said to be careful of your shadow, are they often just hanging at the mouth of the den?
                      Normally they are except on really hot days they'll be further back in the shade but still far enough out where they can get warmed up. Today it was about 72 degrees and some were just inside of the holes,others were laying out on the ground. After they start coming out pretty regularly they'll even come out when it's cooler outside just as long as the sun is shining. In cooler weather they're more likely to be laying out in direct sunlight.

A lot of times when they're stretched out on the ground or on top of the mounds I'll see them shining in the sun.
                      Last edited by okrattler; 03-24-2018, 11:19 PM.

Comment

If your middle name is careful you first name must be Farfrom.

[emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My dad and I use to hunt Rattlesnakes. The best den we found was in Pretty Texas, and we caught 126 snakes out of it. Loved going to known dens, but always a little tense when we were walking ledges looking for new dens.

Comment

Originally posted by goldtip5575 View Post
                            My dad and I use to hunt Rattlesnakes. The best den we found was in Pretty Texas, and we caught 126 snakes out of it. Loved going to known dens, but always a little tense when we were walking ledges looking for new dens.

Pretty or Priddy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                              I just cut the head off a heavy 5' Diamondback with my pocket knife. High striking SOB trying to get the clamps on her neck in the brush. Hunting near Raymondville this weekend, brilliant colors, she's full of eggs.
                              Got the pictures resized.

Looks like this rattlesnake has a couple extra tail bands. She had 16 eggs in early development.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X