LEO ? Catching a thief in the act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by switchbackxt View Post

See highlighted above. You should have a lawyer on retainer as well. Something along the lines of Texas Law Shield.
    Can't read the yellow text

Comment

Black lives matter

Comment

You are better off calling in a giving the best description of the perps in the history of 911 calls. Keeps you free of civil liability and could potentially get your stuff back. If they enter your house, do what you gotta do.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
          It depends on where you live and the circumstances involved. It’s not a black and white answer. Will you have a defense? Will you be indicted? Better not to find out. I am LEO and will tell you I’m not going to kill someone breaking into or stealing anything from me. If I contact them and I am put in fear of life then that is a different story.
          Originally posted by wal1809 View Post
          I been a cop for a little while. I assure you there is nothing in that car worth the bullsnot you're going to go through if you shoot somebody under these circumstances. I have investigated my share of these. I have seen grown men shaking like a dog crapping a peach seed after killing an intruder. Were they right, absolutely! You still have to go through the port hole. That is the on scene investigation. An interview with the detectives. The you have to get through the grand jury. If the grand jury says no, you go home. If they say yes, you are about to drop $100,000 on an attorney to beat the charges. Flame me for saying this, but why even ask this question on an open forum? You're asking for trouble.
          Y'all are right on. In the words of Raylan Givens, "It's no small thing, taking a life."

I don't believe I own anything that is worth having to go through the experience of taking a life. Insure the hell out of it and rest easy. Now, if they get past the gate, over fence, and past the dogs and into the house without taking heed of the constructive notice that they are not welcomed, then they are down range.

Comment

I teach use of force at a law enforcement academy and Quackerbox is spot on .

Comment

If you shoot, this page will be used in court.

Comment

Thanks again guys. I fully understand the weight that comes with taking a life, I don't plan on going all vigilante. Just wanted to know exactly what the statute states and how it is applies to my situation from a law enforcement perspective. Confrontation can be unpredictable and knowing where these laws fit into the situation gives me some peace of mind.

Comment

Stickman, also keep this in mind;

Sec. 9.06. CIVIL REMEDIES UNAFFECTED. The fact that conduct is justified under this chapter does not abolish or impair any remedy for the conduct that is available in a civil suit.

Comment

I been a cop for a little while. I assure you there is nothing in that car worth the bullsnot you're going to go through if you shoot somebody under these circumstances. I have investigated my share of these. I have seen grown men shaking like a dog crapping a peach seed after killing an intruder. Were they right, absolutely! You still have to go through the port hole. That is the on scene investigation. An interview with the detectives. The you have to get through the grand jury. If the grand jury says no, you go home. If they say yes, you are about to drop $100,000 on an attorney to beat the charges. Flame me for saying this, but why even ask this question on an open forum? You're asking for trouble.
                    This.

Great article by Sam Harris. Anyone who owns a gun for home/self defense should read this.

Join neuroscientist, philosopher, and best-selling author Sam Harris as he explores some of the most pressing and controversial questions of our time.

Comment

I just went thru this (3 weeks ago) and learned alot. Quackerbox is spot on.

I chased a thief off my property and a few blocks recently. I never would have shot him unless....I saw a weapon aimed at me. I was armed and shot a warning shot over him.

I was cleared, but listen up. I was told the warning shot was however a felony as it endangers the public. However, I could have legally killed him and faced a Grand Jury and most likely cleared. It was at night and he had my valuable belongings on him. So don't fire unless your story is you fired at the perp.

To add, if I had not shot then the perps would not have been caught. Because the call was shots fired ALL available units were here in 3 min. It was the multiple squad cars in my neighborhood that surrounded the get a way car. If no shots fired, well a beat cop would be by when he could to take report in no hurry.

So, when you do call say shots fired if you want quick results. Just be sure you miss and it wasn't warning shots.

Comment

Judged by 12
                        OR
                        Carried by 6??

You make the call...

Comment

Originally posted by justhrowit View Post
                          This.

Great article by Sam Harris. Anyone who owns a gun for home/self defense should read this.

https://samharris.org/the-truth-about-violence/
                          Yep--good read and lots of points to ponder---and lots to remember. I was talking to a local LEO one night about active shooter scenarios. One of his comments has stuck with me---"Your body can't go where your mind has not been before" -- meaning you need to think about things before they happen, not while they are happening or after it is over.

Comment

X2
                            Can't remember the guy who shot & killed two burgulars a few years ago & was charged. He was found not guilty but legal fee's were over 100K forced him to file bankruptcy & @ the age of 65 he was living with his parents.

He stated later that he should have let them walk, burgluars were trying to steal electronics worth a few hundred dollars

Comment

What most don’t realize asking this on these open forums is years or months or days from now if you are involved in a shooting lawyers will be presenting these post to a grand jury to show your state of mind. I was a LEO for over 30 years and went down that road 3 times justified but they almost ALWAYS file a lawsuit . If you’ve never been sued or in awaiting civil litigation get your head screwed on right , plus whatever grief it will cause with your wife and kids at their school or work over daddy’s actions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by chuckc. View Post
                                I teach use of force at a law enforcement academy and Quackerbox is spot on .
                                Thank you! After my LEO days I confronted a POS at night around my boat parked on the driveway in Lubbock. NO shots fired but my use of "specific" profanity and a 45 in my hand persuaded the again....POS to run faster than he knew he could run. NOW, if he had "come at me" after my warnings...well, that's another story!!

To this day....I will protect my property, myself and my family...

Comment

Working...
                                X