No announcement yet.

Truck question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just change my oil when it tells me too. My chevy 6.0 has 360,000 miles on it. And I have never done anything to it other then lift and tires.

Comment

Hmmmmmm.... some very insightful opinions on here about maintenance. I will kindly disagree with most about fluid changes....

Some people live spreading old wives tales as fact.

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
        Can you elaborate a little more? Also, I am going to do a tune. Who did you do yours through to delete the AFM? I think I am going to change the wires, plugs, u-joints, rear differential oil (because it has a little water in it from the dang, flat boat ramp), and a few other things?

Does anyone have any recommendations as to why or why not to do the above mentioned fluid changes or 100k mile changes?
        Originally posted by Flex View Post
        Flushing the tranny can open up a whole bunch of issues and dislodge things that you don't want moving around in there.

I just got a hypertech off here, disabled afm, adjusted tire size, and firmed up shift pressure.

If you want any added performance go with a blackbear custom tune.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Black bear for custom tunes, i put a diablo tune on my wifes tahoe. Disabled the afm, set the tire size and small power tune added as well as adjusting it with the programmer myself. Not sure on the hypertech's, but the diablo allows injector pulse width changes etc within the loaded tunes. Can slao look up Diablew tunes and he can custom build tunes and send then via email to load on the tuner.

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
          Thanks for that insightful input. Really helped me out. Sounds like you really know what you are talking about. I swear, some people's kids!'

On another note, thanks to all who have provided their help. Anyone else have any recommendations?
          Sorry about the smart remark coach. I know its just a truck but maintenance is kinda my thing. Next time you get on an aircraft just be confident we follow the manufacturers maintenance recommendations.

Comment

Originally posted by KDinTX View Post
            Black bear for custom tunes, i put a diablo tune on my wifes tahoe. Disabled the afm, set the tire size and small power tune added as well as adjusting it with the programmer myself. Not sure on the hypertech's, but the diablo allows injector pulse width changes etc within the loaded tunes. Can slao look up Diablew tunes and he can custom build tunes and send then via email to load on the tuner.
            Diablo is way more customizable than hypertech.

I just got mine for a good deal in classifieds to turn off AFM. Any performance is a bonus. My mpg definitely did not improve with it. But my truck is a little better on throttle response and towing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota7493 View Post
              Is it the 5.3 with the AFM system?
              Yes. That is the motor I have.

Comment

I had to replace all my lifters at around 90k. 07 was the first year of that motor with the AFM. I’m at 116k now. Going to buy a tuner that keeps it from dropping cylinders. As far as fluids go. I only change the oil.

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                  Sorry about the smart remark coach. I know its just a truck but maintenance is kinda my thing. Next time you get on an aircraft just be confident we follow the manufacturers maintenance recommendations.
                  Yessir. Next time I have a question about my Boeing 777 and the recommended maintenance for it, you will be my first call.

So, the general consensus that I am seeing is to have the fluids changed and new filters put on, but do not do the whole flushing out? Correct or did I misinterpret? Or are yall saying not to have any fluids changed out if I have not been doing it every 30k miles and just keep running it like I have been and change plugs and wires.

Comment

Change the oils and filters, flushing does nothing. If your to that point, rebuilding or replacing said part is needed.

Comment

Flushing is a cheap service that most quick-lube places offer. My understanding is that it involves forcing new fluid in while stirring up gunk that would otherwise be removed if you have the pan dropped and fluid/filter replaced properly. Someone please correct me if that’s wrong.

I would go ahead with the full transmission service, and skip flushing.

Comment

Change all fluids except for transmission.

Talk to someone who knows transmissions for advice on whether or not you should. Do not flush your transmission though.

I would also do plugs wires, belt, idler and tensioner. If you haven't done brakes you are probably due for pads and rotors.

Then just keep rolling it til something breaks and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
                          Then just keep rolling it til something breaks and go from there.
                          Probably the best advice I have seen on here. makes sense too.

Comment

I didn't read the replies, but you should change transmission fluid, but do not flush. Flushing may break up deposits left by not flushing sooner, but are obviously not causing a problem. New fluid will still have it's normal benefits.

Comment

Have the dealership drop the pan add a new gasket and change the fluid. I have done this at the 100k mark on 4 trucks and never a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X