Let's talk - thumb releases & target panic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
    Hmm...I'd hate to try to make this switch during season.

I think I'm going to just make the best of what I have right now and once season ends I'll be going to some sort of tension release.

I have been watching some of Dud's videos and listening to him, and he seems to have it figured out.
    Not to be rude, but if you have target panic and you think you need to make the switch, you aren't doing any good for the deer by continuing your target panic shooting at them. Lay down the bowhunting and pick up a rifle and get your shooting on point. Or just bust tail for a week or so to get good enough at close range to make the switch quickly. There are ways to get yourself there relatively fast, but it involves a string bow and about 5,000 reps. Trust me, I made the switch three weeks before getting a new bow and I am more confident shooting that bow than I ever was before the switch.

Comment

I've got a TRU Ball Chappy Boss you can try.

Comment

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
        Not to be rude, but if you have target panic and you think you need to make the switch, you aren't doing any good for the deer by continuing your target panic shooting at them. Lay down the bowhunting and pick up a rifle and get your shooting on point. Or just bust tail for a week or so to get good enough at close range to make the switch quickly. There are ways to get yourself there relatively fast, but it involves a string bow and about 5,000 reps. Trust me, I made the switch three weeks before getting a new bow and I am more confident shooting that bow than I ever was before the switch.
        Thanks for your .02

I only started this thread to see if more people have switched and it made a difference in their punching of the trigger.

My target panic isn't that bad and I don't shoot that bad to say that I need to lay the bow to rest. I know my limits on shooting and feel confident that I'm not doing any wrong by continuing to hunt deer with a bow.

Comment

Thanks for your .02

I only started this thread to see if more people have switched and it made a difference in their punching of the trigger.

My target panic isn't that bad and I don't shoot that bad to say that I need to lay the bow to rest. I know my limits on shooting and feel confident that I'm not doing any wrong by continuing to hunt deer with a bow.
          10-4. Wasn't trying to come off rudely, but I did. I apologize. Hope the switch goes well if you decide to do it.

Comment

10-4. Wasn't trying to come off rudely, but I did. I apologize. Hope the switch goes well if you decide to do it.
            No problem. I appreciate it!

Everyone who shoots archery will go through some sort of target panic. It's all about controlling it. Mind over matter.

Comment

No problem. I appreciate it!

Everyone who shoots archery will go through some sort of target panic. It's all about controlling it. Mind over matter.
              Amen to that. And every archer that gets that first true surprise release that hits their mark will never forget what it feels like. It's the cleanest addiction in the world

Comment

Amen to that. And every archer that gets that first true surprise release that hits their mark will never forget what it feels like. It's the cleanest addiction in the world
                Agreed. I've been practicing a lot in the garage. Just need to not worry about the pin and what it's doing, just focus on where I want to hit and let the shot surprise me. It'll all be fine!

Comment

Carter Evolution. Some of the kids I work with called it the EVILUTION

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdaddy View Post
                    Carter Evolution. Some of the kids I work with called it the EVILUTION
                    hahaha makes it sound like it will be long road shooting that release.

Comment

I went to a scott hex for a beginners back tension and it helped me drastically. After shooting that for a while I ordered a carter just b cuz and I’m shooting like a champ. I was never able to shoot a thumb in the past because i would punch it just as bad as a trigger release, but after making good shots with the hex I now am able to slow down and shoot the carter how it’s supposed to be shot, the click of the hex also helped me slow down when I was shooting animals and make better shots while hunting

Ps. I’m trying to sell the hex if your interested in trying it out

Comment

Agreed. I've been practicing a lot in the garage. Just need to not worry about the pin and what it's doing, just focus on where I want to hit and let the shot surprise me. It'll all be fine!
                        Exactly. Just focus on the spot, and then worry about making a good shot and your brain will make the arrow go there

If I make myself hold the pin on the spot, then I’ll shoot low every time, I pull back put the correct pin somewhat close. Focus on the spot and wait until the shot breaks and I’ll hit whatever im aiming at, I couldn’t tell you where my pin is when the shot goes

Comment

Surprisingly, there is no one cure for all target panic, but there is a good starting place.

First, AJ's CD, best I have ever seen.

Second, tension activated release, the evolution is great, but any good tension (actually resistance, but whatever) release will work.

Third, blind bale, put a piece of cardboard on your sight housing so you can't see the pins, get up close to the target butt (like three feet) and then practice until it is ingrained in muscle memory. Every one is different, but it could take as many as 10,000 shots (I have seen it), but it is usually much less.

Once you can fire the shot with NO anticipation or anxiousness, then draw a dot on the cardboard and do it again until no anticipation or anxiousness. Then, remove the cardboard and shoot while looking at the actual pin, still three feet from the blank target butt until no anticipation or anxiousness. Then add a target, and slowly move back one distance at a time until it is mastered and there is no anticipation or anxiousness in the shot. Work your way to 20 yards in 2 yard increments.

Sounds exhausting doesn't it?

None of this may work, this is just the way I have found that works best for my students who have moderate to severe target panic. Anything may need to be changed along the way, but this is a good regimen to start with.

This could take a few weeks, or it could take a year (or longer, I've seen it). It all depends on you.

Having said all that, I may have some very good news for you.

Holding (hanging) low, more often than not (almost always), isn't a form of target panic but rather one of poor form. Now, punching the trigger during the fly-by will lead to target panic; but I am willing to bet that if I can get your pin to the 10 ring, the need to punch the trigger will go away.

All of this has to do with the rear shoulder not relaxing which results on the front half of your body fighting with the back half of your body.

To fix this, watch this video:
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gexD...WhDW0&index=18

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                            Surprisingly, there is no one cure for all target panic, but there is a good starting place.

First, AJ's CD, best I have ever seen.

Second, tension activated release, the evolution is great, but any good tension (actually resistance, but whatever) release will work.

Third, blind bale, put a piece of cardboard on your sight housing so you can't see the pins, get up close to the target butt (like three feet) and then practice until it is ingrained in muscle memory. Every one is different, but it could take as many as 10,000 shots (I have seen it), but it is usually much less.

Once you can fire the shot with NO anticipation or anxiousness, then draw a dot on the cardboard and do it again until no anticipation or anxiousness. Then, remove the cardboard and shoot while looking at the actual pin, still three feet from the blank target butt until no anticipation or anxiousness. Then add a target, and slowly move back one distance at a time until it is mastered and there is no anticipation or anxiousness in the shot. Work your way to 20 yards in 2 yard increments.

Sounds exhausting doesn't it?

None of this may work, this is just the way I have found that works best for my students who have moderate to severe target panic. Anything may need to be changed along the way, but this is a good regimen to start with.

This could take a few weeks, or it could take a year (or longer, I've seen it). It all depends on you.

Having said all that, I may have some very good news for you.

Holding (hanging) low, more often than not (almost always), isn't a form of target panic but rather one of poor form. Now, punching the trigger during the fly-by will lead to target panic; but I am willing to bet that if I can get your pin to the 10 ring, the need to punch the trigger will go away.

All of this has to do with the rear shoulder not relaxing which results on the front half of your body fighting with the back half of your body.

To fix this, watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gexD...WhDW0&index=18

Thanks for the help. I’ll be pulling his cd back out again tonight.

I watched that video and I can’t really tell if my shoulder(s) are high or not, but I don’t feel that they are when trying to focus on getting them down.

I shot tonight and the biggest difference maker tonight was doing what John Dudley said about shooting a trigger release...don’t use the tip of your index finger to release the string, make sure the trigger is more towards the middle of your finger and pull back thru the shot. That and not worrying about my floating pin and just focus on my mark, and what’s going on behind me. In other words focusing on my shot process and pulling through the shot.

I shot probably the best I have shot in a while. Was hitting within one arrow width or less of my mark when just doing the things above. Surprise release was a key!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X