Raccoon Troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raccoon Troubles

We are having alot of problems on our ranch in south texas with raccoons messing up the feeders and ripping the solar panels down. I was wondering if it would possibly be a good idea to put barbed wire around the legs of the feeders so the coons can't climb up. What do ya'll think?

Coon cuffs work great

Comment

Last year we used carpet tack and duct tapped them to the legs. Worked pretty good.

Comment

You'll hear everything from monkey food to "shark teeth" on feeder legs to rid yourself of coons. We tried them all and trapping and shooting seemed to be the most effective. We trapped and hunted them until our numbers were visibly down. One thing that will help considerably is minimizing the amount of "available" food to then i.e protein scattered on the ground. We made the switch to boss buck feeders and this seemed to minimize their access to the protein and hence made our feeder sites less attractive. Trap, shoot and starve them!!

Comment

A GOOD cage is the only %100 way to coon PROOF your feeders.

Comment

PVC over the legs
            Or my favorite Golden mallard

Comment

We have used barbed wire and it helped but did not keep them out 100%. That was our last feeder that we didn't have a varmit cage on. It now has one and we have no problems.

Comment

If you are going to lease every couple days havahart traps ot the dog proof traps....two havahart and a dog proof trap at each protein feeder dosen't take long to clean them out...let protein run out for one night and you will fill up traps....Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhunter1994 View Post
                  PVC over the legs
                  Or my favorite Golden mallard
                  X2 on the Golden Marlin
                  Or as I call it, Coon Be Gone.

Comment

with the golden Malrin is there any risk of a deer getting into it and getting poisoned? thought about using it but was worried about deer??

Comment

Primos THE VAULT

Originally posted by Cuz View Post
                      A GOOD cage is the only %100 way to coon PROOF your feeders.
                      Our cages used to work! They are beginning to get very resourceful at our lease! I have ordered me a couple of Primos THE VAULTs since I heard they work well? Can anybody vouch for them?
                      Attached Files

Comment

I haven't seen anything work 100% of the time but the cages seem to be the best, also try to widen the legs on the feeder, this might help
                        Also shoot the little suckers

Comment

i drilled a hole in the side of the feeder and flush mounted the colar panel running the line through the feeder into a cage. They tore the cheapo cages off our feeders so I reinforced them with the metal lathe from home depot. They are persistent little devils with all the time in the world to find a way to get your corn. The carpet strips, shark teeth and greased pole tricks did nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
                            i drilled a hole in the side of the feeder and flush mounted the colar panel running the line through the feeder into a cage. They tore the cheapo cages off our feeders so I reinforced them with the metal lathe from home depot. They are persistent little devils with all the time in the world to find a way to get your corn. The carpet strips, shark teeth and greased pole tricks did nothing.
                            What do you mean when you say "metal lathe"?

Comment

It's the metal sheets that you attach to wood to apply stucco. It's a narrower weave than the cages which causes the corn to fall straight down. It is metal LATH. Here's a link: http://amico-lath.com/products.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X