No announcement yet.

2014 Lake Grapevine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The heat really has them shut down. Haven't seen anything moving around after 9:15AM. I never did hunt in the evening, it just too dang hot. There has been absolutely no sign that they are even close to the rut. Just typical summer feeding pattern.

I did have the chance to smoke a coyote this morning, but he took off when I got the pins on him. They don't wait once they think something is up. I have seen more than my share of those song dogs last week. I know they give the deer heck every time they see them.

Comment

Originally posted by acearrow View Post
      I know its public land and we must be ready for others who may be hunting, BUT, if you are walking around during prime time, thinking you are gonna stalk up on a deer, keep your distance from someone who is setting on stand. You don't walk up within 10 yards of them and start pointing out the sign to your buddy that is walking with you. Okay, rant over.
      Seriously, I did think it was common courtesy to steer clear of another person, even when fishing, if you spot them. I know, I know, public land, but not an excuse to have no manners.
      I feel your pain.... Twice now in the DCNF " O I'm sorry I didn't know anyone was down here.... I'm just scouting"

I think I'll start my scouting this weekend..... covered head to toe in orange of course... lol

Comment

well, those two didn't have a thread of orange.
        I heard a bunch of coyotes the other morning. Sounded like I was surrounded.
        All I have seen was a young 8 pt that might have been 13" spread the other morning around 9:30. He was just on a slow roll munching on leaves and other stuff.

Comment

Well yesterday morning was a good hunt. Cold front has really helped the deer movement. Got to my tree at about 6:00, started putting my climber on the tree when I heard something coming through the woods headed right for me. I had just got my bottom part of my stand on the tree, so I jumped up on the stand when a group of hogs stormed in. The only downside was my bow was still laying on the ground. Saw a couple doe and a young 8. But ended up killing a nice bobcat right before I decided it was time to call it a day. Perfect 14yd shot. My buddy also killed a spike,so all and all it was an awesome day making memories with a good friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad2TheBone View Post
            Well yesterday morning was a good hunt. Cold front has really helped the deer movement. Got to my tree at about 6:00, started putting my climber on the tree when I heard something coming through the woods headed right for me. I had just got my bottom part of my stand on the tree, so I jumped up on the stand when a group of hogs stormed in. The only downside was my bow was still laying on the ground. Saw a couple doe and a young 8. But ended up killing a nice bobcat right before I decided it was time to call it a day. Perfect 14yd shot. My buddy also killed a spike,so all and all it was an awesome day making memories with a good friend.
            Good work, guys. Very well done. Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad2TheBone View Post
              well done fellas, predator and prey taken out the same day! Hopefully I can get back out in the next week to enjoy some of this cold weather hunting.

Comment

Awesome cat! Are you allowed to hand corn? I've saw a guy this morning pouring a bag

Comment

went out again this morning, another strike in the book. saw no deer whatsoever. found a couple small rubs though. saw a hunter walking in around 9 am towards us who politely turned and moved off as we made our presence known. what a gentleman!

Comment

Originally posted by beads View Post
                    Awesome cat! Are you allowed to hand corn? I've saw a guy this morning pouring a bag
                    Nope. No baiting.

Comment

Redraw is tomorrow. Time to get out and dust off the lottery ticket. Maybe even stick it on the voodoo doll. Anyway, good luck to all that are awaiting their second chance to hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Budman68 View Post
                        Nope. No baiting.
                        If you look hard enough, you can find tube feeders scattered throughout the place. Just too big for the rangers to patrol the place.

Comment

Anyone know when they are going to draw?

Comment

Today

Comment

I got that, I meant when today

Comment

The numbers are posted on the core website

Comment

Working...
                                X