Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 06-11-2018, 05:53 PM   #1
brodie.hillegas
Nubbin' Buck

Default Arizona OTC Mule Deer First Timer

Hey everyone,

Trying to plan my first OTC hunt For January 2019.

It will be me and a buddy. Looking at Unit 22 or 23. Using OnXMaps to do much of the scouting as I wont be able to make a trip out for a physical scout. I am really looking to get away from roads and people and definitely willing to put in miles on foot. I have been focusing on Wilderness areas and wildfire burn areas from years past as I know the new growth should provide good food.

Are there any other units anyone would suggest or areas in these units to take a look at? Don't need specifics just general areas.

New to hunting and especially bowhunting. Any advice is appreciated. I know success rates are low and the lack of experience is going to hurt but I figure I'm not going to get anywhere sitting on the couch. Might as well get out there, make some mistakes, blow some stalks and then maybe eventually fill a tag.

Thanks everyone!
brodie.hillegas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 09:11 AM   #2
Rich1201
Four Point

Hunt In: LBJ Grasslands, Lamar county

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie.hillegas View Post
Hey everyone,

Trying to plan my first OTC hunt For January 2019.

It will be me and a buddy. Looking at Unit 22 or 23. Using OnXMaps to do much of the scouting as I wont be able to make a trip out for a physical scout. I am really looking to get away from roads and people and definitely willing to put in miles on foot. I have been focusing on Wilderness areas and wildfire burn areas from years past as I know the new growth should provide good food.

Are there any other units anyone would suggest or areas in these units to take a look at? Don't need specifics just general areas.

New to hunting and especially bowhunting. Any advice is appreciated. I know success rates are low and the lack of experience is going to hurt but I figure I'm not going to get anywhere sitting on the couch. Might as well get out there, make some mistakes, blow some stalks and then maybe eventually fill a tag.

Thanks everyone!
No help in terms of advice but good luck! I'll be in unit 27 in September chasing mule deer (my first time as well). I'm planning on spending 5 1/2 days hunting. A couple of guys on here posted after their January 2018 hunt. One was successful on a coues deer if I remember correctly. I'll try and report back after my hunt and share any tips.
Rich1201 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top