Diesel vs Gas engine fuel economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diesel vs Gas engine fuel economy

I'm in the market for a new truck and I have it narrowed down to either a Tundra or Ram 2500.
    Both trucks will be 4wd, crew cab, with tow package the only difference will be the engine.
    What are some real world MPG numbers that you are getting in your gas or diesel powered rigs? Any make not just those 2 and the newer the better.
    I'm currently in a 2010 Silverado Crew Cab 2wd and average 16-19 mpg mixed driving depending on load.
    I'm not sure if I will need the diesel for the first few years but i will eventually get a bigger camper so i might need it in a couple of years. That's why the diesel is being considered.
    Last edited by softballnrd27; 05-01-2017, 09:47 AM.

2015 Ford F350 4wd diesel single wheel crew cab

13.5 city
    15.5 Hwy

I think the cummins usually get better mpg than the pwr strokes

Hope this helps....

Comment

It does.

I grew up in Magnolia, small world.

Comment

16 and some change highway in a 2017 F250. Never bothered to calculate it in the city, it is what it is. Out of all the trucks, the ford will be the most technologically advanced and have the most creature comforts. Sold my Ram 2500 for the ford and its night and day.

Comment

I have a 2011 ram 2500 6.7 cummins. Its a crew cab long wheel base with a leveling kit and 35's. I get around 17 highway. City just depends on how I drive it.

I know a few people with 2015's and 2016's ram 2500's and they get a lot better than me. Both of them average 20mpg.

Comment

Tundra: mixed driving is 15/16mpg. Towing anything heavy, expect single digits.

Comment

I have a 13 2500 cummins in town i get any where from 14-16 depending on how i drive it. On the highway i can get 23 - 26. 26 was on a nice flat road..

Hauling a 7k trailer i got around 17

Comment

2015 Tundra Crew Cab 2wd
                17 -18 combined average per dash display

Comment

Originally posted by buck assasin View Post
                  i have a 13 2500 cummins in town i get any where from 14-16 depending on how i drive it. On the highway i can get 23 - 26. 26 was on a nice flat road..

Hauling a 7k trailer i got around 17
                  also my wifes uncle has a tundra intown i think he said he gets about 12 mpg and around 15 on the high way.. Pulling his boat is a big issue its a 21 footer and on the way to ForK he avg 8 mpg his has the offroad package 4x4 running 33 inch nittos g2

Comment

My 2015 Ram 2500 Cummings 4x4 crew short bed gets me an average of 20 mikes to the gallon. On a trip to Florida on I10 it gave me 22 miles a gallon. I've been pretty surprised on the fuel mileage, but it only has 19,000 miles so it's still fairly new.

Comment

The fuel economy of the diesel loaded and unloaded is why I'm seriously considering a diesel. I have put almost 40k on my truck in the past 1 and a half.

Comment

Went from 7.3 Diesel to a 6.2 gasser and now drive a 6.7 diesel, that should tell you something.

Comment

2017 f250
                          I got 18 plus this wknd from houston to victory
                          15-16 in the city
                          Mine likes to run 85mph seems to be the best economy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I get 13 to 14 city and 15 to 16 highway with my 6.4 hemi

Comment

'15 Tundra 4x4 and get's about 15mpg on the highway. Pulling a 16' lowboy with ranger crew I don't know what it got per gallon, but it wasn't too good! Love the truck, but the fuel mileage does lack a little bit. I guess it's a bit of a trade off when comparing sticker prices, oil changes and services, etc when looking at a diesel compared to a gas. Truck has plenty power though, I will say that.

Comment

Working...
                              X