What Do You Consider a Trophy Turkey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Do You Consider a Trophy Turkey?

As I have said in a previous thread I am going to Central Kansas to hunt turkeys in April. This place is slap covered in turkeys and have a pretty good chance at taking a long beard or two. I am really wanting a fully body mount done by the birdman in Colorado. If I shoot one big enough I am shipping it to him.

I dont know much about turkeys but what would be considered a trophy for a Rio? Look at weight, spurs, beard? Also if its a full body mount can do you just freeze the whole bird and ship it or does it have to be skinned?

Beard nearly dragging the ground is the only physical a attribute in my opinion.
    Bow is the only weapon ( recurve in my case ) to use to qualify as a trophy IMO

Comment

When you can hang him from a limb by the spurs.
      IMO a 10" beard is considered a good mature bird.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
        Beard nearly dragging the ground is the only physical a attribute in my opinion.

Comment

This. I've killed one turkey in my life and it didn't do anything for me.

I've told myself next one I kill will be dragging or dang near dragging sans recurve

Comment

Good full beard in the 10" range and must have some good hooks! Spurs are the real definition of an old bird. 1 1/2" is getting into trophy status to me.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
              When you can hang him from a limb by the spurs.
              IMO a 10" beard is considered a good mature bird.

This^^^^, and a really thick bushy beard looks the best!!!

Also, any gobbler with multiple beards (a lot of times you can’t even tell there is more than one till you got him dead) is a real trophy!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Spurs, beard is irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by trash2 View Post
                  Spurs, beard is irrelevant.
                  How long on spurs though?

Comment

Beards are scored as well as spurs. Any turkey taken without a blind with a bow is a trophy. Personally, I don’t like the word trophy, but I don’t know a suitable alternative.

Comment

It will be a bow but with a compound. I really just think they are beautiful birds and want a pretty one for the wall

Comment

Are the birds in Kansas rios or Easterns? Either way, a 9+ beard or multiple beards, and Spurs over 1" is a trophy IMO.

Comment

Any Tom with my bow that I called in.

Comment

Lot of variables. Double digit beard minimum. 11" plus or multi beard would be preferred. 1 1/4" spurs or better. Beautiful fan/coloration is a plus for me. How hard it was to kill him is another factor. I have a vendetta with one this spring. If he dies, he's liable to meet the taxidermist Never heard a more vocal bird in all my life and I can't kill him for the life of me.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                              Are the birds in Kansas rios or Easterns? Either way, a 9+ beard or multiple beards, and Spurs over 1" is a trophy IMO.
                              Yes If he's in central KS they are most likely Rio's.

Comment

Working...
                              X