Muzzle loaders....tell us all you know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
    No I meant fire. Say you hunt 5 days in the mountains. Then what? Lol you gotta be able to quietly unload it
    Mine stays loaded the entire time. I had rain, hail and gropple on this trip and it still went boom when I killed the log I shot at

Also to quietly unload you just unscrew you plug and let it fall out then push projectile through
    Last edited by tbeak; 09-27-2017, 06:14 PM.

Comment

No I meant fire. Say you hunt 5 days in the mountains. Then what? Lol you gotta be able to quietly unload it
      Get a CO2 unloader.

Leave your powder in for 5 days, you risk.........pfffffffft.

Clean religiously. They'll rust too quick.

Comment

I dabbled with it a little for a while and killed a few deer. Any of the T/C guns were good and so are the CVA optimas. My personal rifle is a stainless Remington 700 and like others have said the break open guns are easier to clean, but it's a fine little gun. I found loose powder to be more accurate in mine than the pellets, but they work fine and are easier. Blood trails were sketchy at best with all the bullets I tried so just go with what shoots best in your gun. Mark your ramrod so you know you get your bullet seated the same depth every time. Also get something that uses 209 primers because they offer much better ignition than caps and are easier to deal with. Other than that don't shoot it unless you know you are going to have a good hour or more to clean it when you get home!

Comment

You can unload it without firing it, but you still need to clean it. In all seriousness, I had mine fizzle on me after it sat in the climate controlled camp for just one night. And... I had loaded it just before the evening hunt. It was loaded with powder and a sabot, and I used a brand new primer. I don't think the balloon trick would have helped me, the sabot should have sealed it from the front end. Not saying you can't try to keep it loaded somehow, just saying I wouldn't. Not worth the risk for me. And if you unload it and don't clean it, it will be all gunked up by the next morning. Muzzleloaders can be a huge pain to deal with, took over two hours to get my buddies back to working order after he neglected it for 3 days of hunting.

Comment

No biggie. You keep it loaded the entire time your hunting. Once your hunt is over who cares if it's loud, fire it to unload it.

If you do need to unload during the hunt (powder gets wet for example) just unscrew the breech plug and push the powder and bullet through the back. It is much easier when you keep the breech plug lubed and use a fold away primer holder deal. I have a normal breech plug but I think they make a speed breech that makes it even quicker.

I shoot a TC Encore both with and without a scope. Keep the base on and you can still see the iron sights. I use the scope with sabots/pellets for the H, and open sights and lead/powder for Colorado.

Biggest thing is keeping it clean.

Comment

True if you have any kind of climate controlled area, store your gun in the truck overnight. Not with you.

Man it only takes me 30 minutes to clean mine after shooting at the range. Not hours.

I got rained/hailed on the first day of my hunt this year, didn't clean the gun, and the last day it took me an hour or two but I was sitting by the fire drinking beer doing it.

Comment

Actually eabco makes a rail with an integrated peep sight that you could mount good QD rings on and not have to resight

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                  No biggie. You keep it loaded the entire time your hunting. Once your hunt is over who cares if it's loud, fire it to unload it.

If you do need to unload during the hunt (powder gets wet for example) just unscrew the breech plug and push the powder and bullet through the back. It is much easier when you keep the breech plug lubed and use a fold away primer holder deal. I have a normal breech plug but I think they make a speed breech that makes it even quicker.

I shoot a TC Encore both with and without a scope. Keep the base on and you can still see the iron sights. I use the scope with sabots/pellets for the H, and open sights and lead/powder for Colorado.

Biggest thing is keeping it clean.
                  Good tips. Another one..

After you initially load your powder and bullet, cover the end of the barrel with a small balloon. Leave it on. It has no measurable effect on the shot you're counting on.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                    Good tips. Another one..

After you initially load your powder and bullet, cover the end of the barrel with a small balloon. Leave it on. It has no effect on the shot you're counting on.
                    yup, or some tape or a rubber

Comment

Originally posted by ckamp52 View Post
                      where does everyone get their guns and supplies? I kept saying I was going to get one when I was hunting in OK for a few years and never did but it would give me some more options
                      ckamp, I get my supplies with every trip to Arkansas, especially Christmas trips once they start closing out the hunting gear. Muzzleloader season is a big deal in the more SE states. 777 pellets/loose powder, primers, and bullets are pretty cheap then. When I get them home, I package in my vacuum sealer with some dried rice. Im in Burleson, so if you need a small starter package give me a buzz.

Comment

There is no need to unload each night. For our North Carolina season, I load mine the night before the season opens and leave it loaded until I shoot something or one week has passed. I killed my first deer with a muzzle loader in 1977 and have followed this regime since I started. The only misfires I've had were when I failed to properly prep the rifle before loading. Thoroughly clean and make sure all lube has been wiped out of the bore. Fire 2 or 3 caps to make sure the nipple is clear and the chamber is dry. Now load.

Comment

Thank you sir. What do you shoot? I read a lot on the guns last night but dont see a whole lot of difference between a $250 cva or a $650 t/c. Im sure there are small things i dont notice i just dont want to overpay if its not worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                            I have a stainless tc encore hunter Id get rid of if matt passes on it, ill post it if he does

Where are you located. I may want in line as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Buy stainless for easy cleaning.
                              Buy a break over barrel, also for easy cleaning.
                              Read and follow the instructions for safety.

Never used Blackhorn 209 but will when I run out of pellets. Have a Traditions Tracker 209 that isn't stainless or break over barrel and hate it. Bought it used for $70 just to extend my season.

Comment

keep the info coming...I have the bug now

Comment

Working...
                                X