Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 05-16-2018, 10:52 PM   #51
Double-O-Dave
Eight Point

In a revolver, I recommend a S&W Model 442 or 642 (.38 Special). The 442 is the blued steel version, the 642 is the same revolver but in stainless steel. They're the ultimate "point and pull" gun. No safeties/switches/etc. to worry about. You can have a trigger job done on it and you can end up with a really nice carry gun.

In a semiauto, I recommend a Beretta Tomcat (Model 3032) in .32 ACP. They come in either a blued steel or stainless steel version, and I recommend the stainless version. This pistol features a tip-up barrel, which means you don't have to rack the slide to chamber a round.

If she has the ability to rack the slide, the ultimate, and smallest semiautomatic pistol I know of is the Seecamp in .32 ACP. This same pistol is also chambered in .380 ACP, but I don't recommend this as the recoil is a bit stout in a pistol this small - the .32ACP is actually preferable in this pistol. The Seecamp can be hard to find, a good, affordable copy is the NAA Guardian chambered in .32ACP.

Good luck,

Dave
Double-O-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 01:11 AM   #52
bowtecmike
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent County, SA St Park

i know several ladies who carry the Bersa Thunder in 380. my mom and my ex are 2. they are solid accurate and affordable guns
bowtecmike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 06:10 AM   #53
stinkbelly
Pope & Young

My wife carries the Taurus 605 ss with concealed hammer and ported. It is a 357 mag, but she shoots 38s out of it. The 357 and ss frame make it a little heavier, but that along with the porting help reduce recoil. It is a 5 shot.
stinkbelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 06:43 AM   #54
dphillips62
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mission Valley, Victoria, and anywhere else I can sling an arrow

When she takes her CHL class she will need to qualify with a semiauto. If she qualifies with a revolver that is all she will be allowed to carry. If she uses a semiauto she can carry either. My wife carries the same thing I do only in a 9mm Springfield ROC and she is a little thing also. My 88 yo Mom has bad arthritis and deformed fingers so I got her a SW 642 I ran about 300 rounds through it and took it in for a trigger job.
dphillips62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 07:19 AM   #55
FVR JR
Four Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

[QUOTE=dphillips62;13378460]When she takes her CHL class she will need to qualify with a semiauto. If she qualifies with a revolver that is all she will be allowed to carry.

This requirement went away in 2013 when the laws were rewritten. It's still a good idea to get proficient with whatever she will carry and use it for the test IMO. A revolver is a good choice for simplicity, but realize that an airweight .38 snub nose is not the easiest or most pleasant gun to shoot. If she can comfortably handle an auto then I'd look at both and decide from there.

Last edited by FVR JR; 05-17-2018 at 07:21 AM.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 07:30 AM   #56
softpoint
Six Point

Hunt In: anywhere I'm allowed

Revolver in .38 special. or auto in .380. .380 will get the job done, and the slide is a bit easier to rack than the small pistols in 9mm. Brands? Ruger or S&W revolver, most any of the auto's in .380. My wife has a Sig P238 in .380.
softpoint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 07:33 AM   #57
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter69 View Post
Looks like you have enough suggestions on weapons, but I would strongly suggest she carry on her person. Most bad guys are looking for " money" and it's usually a ladies purse they grab and dash with. ( happened to my mom). With it goes her gun, which they just my use in there favor. Plus if she's pumping gas, her purse will be laying in the car, to far to get it if approached out side the vehicle. I have wore a smart carry holster for the last ten plus years. A lot think it's a joke, would be crazy to carry in one. But I can tell you, I can carry in any attire from swimm trunks only, sweats, pants no belt, pants with belt, to going out , and suit attire. In fact there isn't any thing I have wore that I can't carry. And not a sole knows.( I have carried many but now carry a kahr p380, glock 43 now, very very comfortable, in fact sleep with it on many times) And I think it would make caring for a woman very comfortable, after they get used to it . You can get them for small revolvers ( my recommendation, keep it simple, reliable.) Just something you might show her. I would never suggest any body carry off there person, to easy to get into the wrong hands. Sorry for the long post. Stay safe. I don't mean to sound like a salesman, far far from one, and I don't have any connection to smart carry. It's just I tried a lot of differant carry holsters and this one is the most comfortable, hence I carry all the time.
Appreciate the suggestions. You raise some valid points.
BlackHogDown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 07:41 AM   #58
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Yep...the 442 & 642 is the ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-O-Dave View Post
In a revolver, I recommend a S&W Model 442 or 642 (.38 Special). The 442 is the blued steel version, the 642 is the same revolver but in stainless steel. They're the ultimate "point and pull" gun. No safeties/switches/etc. to worry about. You can have a trigger job done on it and you can end up with a really nice carry gun.

Dave
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 10:27 AM   #59
Throwin' Darts
Ten Point

The Sig P238 is easy to operate and shoots really well. Here's mine next to my P220 10mm

Name:  380.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  191.0 KB
Throwin' Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 10:40 AM   #60
LlanoHunter10
Spike

Hunt In: Llano

My wife carries a Sig P238. If your looking for something a little more affordable Springfield just came out with the 911. It's a subcompact 1911 in 380. Sweet little gun.
LlanoHunter10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 10:53 AM   #61
Brazman
Ten Point

Hunt In: futility

I cannot recommend highly enough the Ruger LC9s. The trigger is really nice IMO, and extra 7 rd mags are easy to carry. And, if she likes how it handles and fires, they make em in all kinds of pretty colors.
Brazman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 10:59 AM   #62
ahlongslide
Four Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.

I’m a staff pastor at a church NW of Houston. I set up a small pistol range behind the church with AR 500 steel targets and I have 8-9 pistols she can try. Maybe Outbreaker can meet up too and we might find a gun that fits her. Just PM me and let me know.
ahlongslide is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 08:28 PM   #63
Txfire409
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardin County, Big Thicket NP, Moore Plantation

Ruger LCP
Txfire409 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 08:48 PM   #64
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txfire409 View Post
Ruger LCP
x2, I love my LCP. I have small hands and it fits me well. I don't have any problems racking the slide or loading the mag. (Someone earlier said most women do not have the strength or the proper technique to operate the slide...I've never had trouble operating any slide. It doesn't take much strength, just a little practice!)
I like the Sig P238. It's definitely on the want list. When I got my LTC, I bought an XDS for concealed carry. Even though I shoot it well, it is too big for on body carry so I bought a LCP and it's perfect.

I would not recommend learning how to shoot on a micro handgun, though.
Sika is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 09:06 PM   #65
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default Carry weapon suggestions for a TINY female

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sika View Post
x2, I love my LCP. I have small hands and it fits me well. I don't have any problems racking the slide or loading the mag. (Someone earlier said most women do not have the strength or the proper technique to operate the slide...I've never had trouble operating any slide. It doesn't take much strength, just a little practice!)
I like the Sig P238. It's definitely on the want list. When I got my LTC, I bought an XDS for concealed carry. Even though I shoot it well, it is too big for on body carry so I bought a LCP and it's perfect.

I would not recommend learning how to shoot on a micro handgun, though.

Iím the one that said most ladies have trouble operating the slide on the slides on the micro 380 pistols and I stand by that statement. I get to assist lots of women is picking out a pistol. Most that I deal with cannot operate the slide on the LCP, Kahr, bodyguard and some even the Glock 42. Most of the time itís the technique they are using (mainly trying to pull it back with 2 fingers extended away from their body). I try to teach them how to grip it over the top and hold it in close to their body and then it pinches the crap out of their hand when they let the slide back down if they do manage to get it back. And the vast majority cannot get it to release from being locked back after inserting a fresh mag or after removing an empty mag.

They can usually operate the slide on the SIG 380 but again no way I would recommend that for a novice shooter male or female.

You are more experienced with guns so I donít doubt that you are more adept at manipulating one of the smaller 380 pistols.

In the case here his wife has little to zero experience with guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 09:19 PM   #66
eaglegolfj
Ten Point

let her test drive some to see what feels good to her
eaglegolfj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 09:22 PM   #67
brokeno
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Bersa 380 Just in case she shoots it once and never look at it again
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 10:38 PM   #68
tvc184
Pope & Young

I see that there are tons of different opinions on what she should like and now according to this thread has a dozen or more handguns that she may need. All are valid opinions as they are opinions. I have shot almost every handgun mentioned and all have some good qualities.

So here is my opinion.....

In this particular thread it was stressed in the title that she is tiny. Forget her size period except in concealment.

I have taken small women to the range quite a few times and usually have guns from micro .380ís to full size 9mm and .40S&W and many guns in between. I could care less what they like and donít try to convince them of what I or my wife carry.

The only point I want to make is that the smaller guns for that small person are not always the best option. Give them a SW 5 shot .38 Spl and the recoil is somewhat stunning to some of them. I have had these little women want a small handgun, equating small with ďeasyĒ. Then they shoot that .380 LCP and donít like the results. Then they try a full size or medium size even more powerful gun like a compact 9mm like a Glock 26 size or even a single stack compact like a Shield and find that it is more manageable.

Of course there are small women that can take that tiny revolver with fairly stout recoil and bang away with the best of them.

Just donít get in the mindset that small in stature means someone needs a small gun. Concealment if that is how she is going to carry might open up better options than micro guns. If a small woman can carry that Glock 26, great. It might just be a bit less snappy than the tiny Goick 42 .380.

If possible letting them shoot several different styles and sizes lets them sometimes quickly point out what is best for them. To heck with us that think we know how to shoot and what is ďbestĒ
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 05:41 AM   #69
cuttingedge
Eight Point

Hunt In: hardly at all here

LCR in 22 magnum. If she is going to carry in a purse, it either needs to be a Concealed Carry purse, or she needs to have a kydex trigger holster with a tether anchored to her purse so the gun cannot misfire in her purse. With tbe tether anchored, when she has to draw it, the tether will pop free.
cuttingedge is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 11:56 AM   #70
Sika
Pope & Young

I was a beginner once.

I learned with a Springfield XD 9mm. It fit my hands well and the recoil was manageable. Luckily, I had a couple of instructors that were patient and understood my needs as a woman shooter. Doesn't matter the shooter or weapon, a good teacher is key.

A lot of people (men and women) say a revolver is more "idiot proof" than a semi auto but most women are not idiots...and are capable of learning to load and run a semi auto in no time, if given the chance.

If a small gun is needed for concealment, it's all about finding a balance between comfort, gun size and caliber.

If she will be carrying in a bag, it might seem like size is not an important factor but I can tell you from personal exerience, carrying a heavy gun in a bag is tiresome. If I carry off body, I do so in a crossbody type bag and a heavy gun will start to hurt my shoulder after a long day. Just something to think about.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:59 AM   #71
Sika
Pope & Young

Fyi, I have one of these bags and I love it.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/GCCginascr...hopheader-name
Old 05-18-2018, 12:06 PM   #72
Mjjust
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Angelo/ Any Public lands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHogDown View Post
Can't show her that. All else will go out the window because she can get this with purple grips

My daughter bought this gun last month and likes it. Only put about 50 rounds through so far.
Mjjust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 01:15 PM   #73
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sika View Post
Fyi, I have one of these bags and I love it.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/GCCginascr...hopheader-name
Hey thanks for the suggestions, Sika. All good things to consider.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:16 PM   #74
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahlongslide View Post
Iím a staff pastor at a church NW of Houston. I set up a small pistol range behind the church with AR 500 steel targets and I have 8-9 pistols she can try. Maybe Outbreaker can meet up too and we might find a gun that fits her. Just PM me and let me know.
PM sent. Thanks again for the offer. We'll take you up on that in the near future.

-Tim
Old 05-18-2018, 06:06 PM   #75
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

Ruger LCR is hard to beat if you want a small revolver. The trigger pull is WAY better than other double action snubbys I've shot. I've got one in 38 I'd get rid of. Shoot me a PM if interested. For small auto's that won't break the bank my suggestion would be the Ruger LC9s. Great trigger and shooters. I'd personally shy away from the pocket 380's for many reasons. Check out Spring Guns and Ammo. You can rent several different handguns and that will help her decide on what she likes and can handle before you buy.
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2018, 07:50 AM   #76
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County
Default Carry weapon suggestions for a TINY female

My wife had a Bersa 380 but didnt like the weight or size in her purse. Last birthday she got this. You can shoot reg .38 spl all the way to plus p. Its tiny and surprisingly low recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2018, 07:54 AM   #77
OKBOWHUNTER
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Anywhere and everywhere

My wife loves her Kimber micro raptor.
OKBOWHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2018, 08:14 AM   #78
switchbackxt
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Glock 43,............but I really think the Kimber micro 9 is the ideal gun for her.
^^^this^^^

My daughter is small as well and she carries the Kimber micro most of the time. She also carries a Taurus 709 Slim.
switchbackxt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2018, 11:58 PM   #79
MasonCo.
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brazoria Co, public land

Your going to have to post a pic of her for us to determine...
MasonCo. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2018, 12:24 AM   #80
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

Ruger lcp
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2018, 12:49 AM   #81
joel45acp
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

hard to beat a good 'ole reliable S&W wheel gun in 38spl. loaded with 158gr semi-wad cutter hp. that's what I carry on-duty as my backup gun.
joel45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2018, 02:41 AM   #82
Mauler
Nubbin' Buck

My wife has a hammerless Smith and Wesson Airweight .38 with laser grips

We like the revolver because you only need one hand to operate it versus having to chamber a semi auto. It shoots fairly smooth but most CC guns are going to have a harder pull that the ladies won't like
Mauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2018, 05:02 AM   #83
MasonCo.
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brazoria Co, public land
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauler View Post
My wife has a hammerless Smith and Wesson Airweight .38 with laser grips

We like the revolver because you only need one hand to operate it versus having to chamber a semi auto. It shoots fairly smooth but most CC guns are going to have a harder pull that the ladies won't like
Should carry one in the chamber so you shouldn't have to worry about chambering in a hurry...
MasonCo. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2018, 07:00 AM   #84
rosco11
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

I got a S&W ladysmith for my mom. It's basically the model 60, 357/38. Got her set up and practicing with 38s. It's a great pistol.. might change the fancy wood grips out for some pachmyers for her
rosco11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top