No announcement yet.

Saddle hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting. What is the rest position or do you essentially hang there? Looks like it would be great for a public land set up.

Comment

I’ll be saddle hunting this year, just waiting on my Tethrd order and then will have to make time to practice before season...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Are saddles good for us "heftier" fellas?? I'm talking 325#'s+??

Comment

There are several positions. I usually readjust every hour or so. But you can change the angles and pressure on hips based on your fulcrum point and lead off the 'bridge'. Most of the time I lean at about 30 deg with my knees bent, but you can be comfortable from 10 deg. to completely sitting position, which is as comfortable as sitting in a hammock, and how i usually take my naps.

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
          Interesting. What is the rest position or do you essentially hang there? Looks like it would be great for a public land set up.

Comment

I ordered the Tetherd system a little over a week ago. Can’t wait to give it a try!

Comment

I hunt out of a saddle and love it. Can’t imagine ever hunting out of a hang on again. Once you get comfortable using the saddle system you will feel the same way!!

Comment

Originally posted by whakm View Post
                Think I may be switching next year. Got on this boat too late for this season. Couple of the guys I hunt with swear by 'em. Just having a hard time taking that initial money hit. Any suggestions on a good set up ( make, model, gizmos' gadgets etc..)? There's a few I've looked at but honestly don't know enough about 'em so don't really know what to look for.
                Lots of videos to help. The 2 main manufacturers are AeroHunter by New Tribe, and Tethrd. You'll need a linemans rope, 2 carabiners, a tree tether, and 2 Ropeman 1 ascenders (or prusik knots) and a perch (for your feet to rest on) I use a ring of steps by Bullman.. The only other consideration is how you get up the tree. I just use screw in steps. For portable options you can use climbing sticks.
                I have about $425 in my saddle gear.
                Bobby

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                Last edited by bakin7005; 08-29-2019, 10:17 AM.

Comment

I don’t think I could have hunted the places I did this weekend with anything other than a saddle.

No deer busted me despite walking directly under me and looking straight at me.

Comment

Anyone use the trophy line ambush?? I’m having a hard time deciding to buy a saddle or lone wolf assault 2. I’m not used to hunting out of trees, so both would be a new experience for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
                      Anyone use the trophy line ambush?? I’m having a hard time deciding to buy a saddle or lone wolf assault 2. I’m not used to hunting out of trees, so both would be a new experience for me.

I only started saddle hunting this season, but I’d say go with the saddle.

It opens up more trees as options and is way less bulk and weight going into the woods. Depending on how deep into the rabbit hole you go you could get your set up very compact and light.

Comment

I have been watching a lot of videos of guys hunting public land in saddles, but do guys hunt private land like this?

There are some pretty comfy hang on stands out there and I can't imagine it's easier, and more comfortable to use a saddle when you can pre hang stands on private land.

It looks like a no brainer for public land setups though!

Comment

Originally posted by Army of Dad View Post
                          I only started saddle hunting this season, but I’d say go with the saddle.

It opens up more trees as options and is way less bulk and weight going into the woods. Depending on how deep into the rabbit hole you go you could get your set up very compact and light.

Sounds good. I hunt public so I think it would help, but their expensive! What do you use? I’ve been looking hard at the Tetherd mantis..

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
                            Sounds good. I hunt public so I think it would help, but their expensive! What do you use? I’ve been looking hard at the Tetherd mantis..

That’s the saddle I use. I tried going cheaper and skipping the predator platform, but it’s now on order with them.

It will definitely cost you some money, but the whole set up is about as ‘buy once, cry once’ as you can get.

I’d suggest looking at Tethrd’s YouTube channel and then G2 Outdoors (Greg is one of the owners at Tethrd) and The Hunting Public. That should give you both a baseline of how to use a saddle and it’s advantages and some variability in climbing methods and overall set ups.

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
                              I have been watching a lot of videos of guys hunting public land in saddles, but do guys hunt private land like this?

There are some pretty comfy hang on stands out there and I can't imagine it's easier, and more comfortable to use a saddle when you can pre hang stands on private land.

It looks like a no brainer for public land setups though!
                              I only have one permanent stand on my 90 acres. Every other sit is done with a lone wolf and climbing sticks. I move around a lot as our access is limited, which makes me easily patterned. So yes, some of us on private do run the mobile set up. I got tired of hanging 5 or 6 stands early in the season, only to not hunt them much because of changes in deer movement. I’m thinking about going to the saddle also, just to cut down on the bulk. Although my lone wolf isn’t a difficult set up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                                I only have one permanent stand on my 90 acres. Every other sit is done with a lone wolf and climbing sticks. I move around a lot as our access is limited, which makes me easily patterned. So yes, some of us on private do run the mobile set up. I got tired of hanging 5 or 6 stands early in the season, only to not hunt them much because of changes in deer movement. I’m thinking about going to the saddle also, just to cut down on the bulk. Although my lone wolf isn’t a difficult set up.
                                So you're setting that up every morning before each hunt?

I own 70 acres in Oklahoma and don't have a lot of big trees that setup well for hang on stands. I could see the saddle being a good setup for these little 8-10" diameter trees that I have.

Comment

Working...
                                X