Barrel break-in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barrel break-in

Who actually does it? Who thinks it's BS? Do you have a preferred method?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

On a custom rifle I do.
    I follow the instruction of the builder for break in.

Comment

I dip mine in salt water at the beach, then let it sit for a year. Seriously, just go shoot it and treat it like all your other guns.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
        I dip mine in salt water at the beach, then let it sit for a year. Seriously, just go shoot it and treat it like all your other guns.
        How much salt per gallon? I'm kinda far from the beach!?!?

Comment

I’ve only done it on a custom barrel per the manufacture specs. On new factory rifles I clean the barrel before hand then shoot and that’s it. I’ve never had any issues

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
            I’ve only done it on a custom barrel per the manufacture specs. On new factory rifles I clean the barrel before hand then shoot and that’s it. I’ve never had any issues
            This is what Ive ALWAYS done and same result. Was just curious if anyone had some success story of gaining any accuracy through proper break-in vs the buy it shoot it mind set.

Comment

When I got my APR rifle I called them and asked what type of break in they recommended. They said they didn't recommend any special break in. They said go shoot and if accuracy starts to drop clean it.

Comment

A custom, hand-lapped barrel doesn't need break in but the freshly cut throat of the chamber does (a little). I don't think that there's a magic number of shots or cleanings either because one chamber may have a little more/less bur than the last. All my rifles are customs and regardless of if it's one I've built or one I have from another builder, they just get a shot or two then a cleaning, 3 or so more shots and a cleaning and then I roll with it, cleaning only as needed per POI shift that I may see. I've seen plenty barrels shoot lights out right out of the blocks and I've seen barrels that take a couple boxes run through them to settle in, if not more. Steel inconsistencies of the barrel, chamber cut quality coupled with barrel contour and powder/bullet combos. I suggest that if you find yourself at that rabbit hole then you plug it with dynamite cuz you can drive yourself nuts. Go shoot your gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Seay View Post
                  How much salt per gallon? I'm kinda far from the beach!?!?

You can purchase at Petco or online....

Comment

I don't think there is much magic too it, but I have read accounts from guys that shoot competitions that seem to see an increase in accuracy after a certain number of rounds, but this varies from barrel to barrel and usually is somewhere in the 200-400 round area.

I don't think its gonna make a huge difference in a hunting rifle, but someone that knows a **** ton more than me shoots and cleans after each round for the first ten rounds, then cleans after three fired rounds until he gets to 100 on new guns.

I think the real benefit to most shooters is shooting 100 rounds through a new rifle that they might not have fired more than a few rounds per year.
                    Last edited by El General; 12-12-2018, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                      I think the real benefit to most shooters is shooting 100 rounds through a new rifle that they might not have fired more than a few rounds per year.
                      ^^this

Comment

Originally posted by Seay View Post
                        Who actually does it? Who thinks it's BS? Do you have a preferred method?

Watch this youtube video. This fellow knows his stuff. He's a no BS kind of guy. First 1:56 answers your question. Watch the rest to understand why he says that in the first 1:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_C View Post
                          Watch this youtube video. This fellow knows his stuff. He's a no BS kind of guy. First 1:56 answers your question. Watch the rest to understand why he says that in the first 1:56.
                          No video?

Comment

I did nothing to the last 2 new rifles I purchased. I didn't even run a patch through them before shooting. Suppose I should at least check to make sure nothing is in there.
                            Both rifles shoot sub moa.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I do just because it makes cleaning so much easier. One shot and clean for 4 shots. 3 shots and clean twice, then 5 shots and clean twice. If it cleans easily at that point I'm done.

Comment

Working...
                              X