No announcement yet.

Air rifle for squirrels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had my gamo silent cat for probably 8 yrs or more. I have killed more squirrels than I can count with it plus rabbit's, coons, nutria, and a few gray fox. Find the right pellet and they will shoot just fine. I still have the cheap scope that came with it on the gun and havent had much issue with it. I have killed squirrels and rabbits out to around the 50 yard mark more than a few times. But with all that said I'm planning on getting a 22 caliber soon to play with

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kills-myth View Post
      As simple as it gets and all you need for squirrels!
      Yep. All it takes. Good practice for all with open sights and single shot as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
        I too have a Sheridan original 5mm Blue Streak that I've had since about '65 or so... If you get on Airgun warriors forums, there's a guy on there that you can send the gun to and he will rebuild it and make it operate like brand new... don't recall his name or site, but just search rebuild or repair Blue Streak and it should come up... My R1 is also an original from San Ramon, CA. built by Feinwerkbrau in Germany. There's no way that Sheridan will shoot like the originals do. My addiction has progressed WAY beyond that though... I now shoot PCP bullpups in 22 and 25 cal. and will probably get me a 9mm(.357) too... I don't use air in them as I have a ready supply of high pressure nitrogen and it is dry so don't have to worry about moisture like you do with air...

My current favorite, an ATN Vulcan in .25 cal. Hawke 6.6-24X50mm scope...

[ATTACH]936588[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]936589[/ATTACH]
        I got my R1 new back in the 80s not long after they came out, they were out for maybe two or three years. The R1 was accurate, had a very nice trigger on it. I had two pump 22 caliber air rifles before the R1, it was noticeably more powerful than those. I killed small stuff, like rabbits out to around 70 yards with the R1, but the hold over was ridiculous out at that range. The Sheridan, was no where near as much as the 22 caliber R1. The R1 never is powerful, but still does not impress me like the Sheridan in 5 mm. I almost got the R1 in 5mm. But was not sure how well the Sheridan pellets would work in the R1. Probably would not have worked for crap. I know when I tried Benjamin 22 caliber pellets in the R1, it shot horrible, the Benjamin pellet fit way too loose in the Beeman barrel. I had to buy Beeman pellets. If you still have a 22 caliber Beeman R1, I still have some of the Beeman 22 caliber pellets. I think I have some Silver Streak, Crow Magnums and one other pellet. I could not find them, when I sold the rifle. Nobody knew what it was, when I sold it, but some guy finally bought it, he really had no idea what it was. I sold it very cheaply, because I had it up for sale for a long time, had no interest in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
          Doesn't matter if you kill every squirrel in your area they will be back. Good Luck
          Yep. You always have plenty of targets.

Comment

I got a GAMO .177 and it has been awesome $69 on sale and I had a $50 gift card.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
              My wife has a hatred for squirrels being that they leave pieces of hickory nuts in our outdoor living area. She has a RWS and has killed countless of tree rats with it, I mean she is wicked with that rifle.

My wife has a serious hatred for squirrels also. They got up in the walls of our house, ate up some foam insulation, ate most of the way through some sheetrock, from inside the wall. There was basically only paper left. We had to replace a bunch of sheet rock. We came close to having squirrels running around in the house. We could hear them in the walls at night gnawing on studs, moving wiring around, hoping they were not gnawing on wiring. Then we later found out they were gnawing on the sheetrock. They made huge nests in the walls, that were full of mites and flees. It was a big mess.

After we found the squirrel damage in the house, my wife would keep a watch out for squirrels. If she saw any, she would tell me there's a squirrel over in this part of the yard, go shoot it. Before we found all of the squirrel damage. She did not care one way or another about me shooting squirrels. I had been shooting them around the house for years. I knew they had been getting into the top of the house, I was worried, with the old crappy wiring mess in the house, then squirrels getting up in the wiring and gnawing on the wiring, they might burn the house down. So I had been shooting them for years. Then when we decided to replace a bunch of sheet rock in one bathroom, we found some holes we thought were from water damage, but they turned out to be squirrel damage. Then finding multiple big squirrel nests in the walls, full of mites and flees. She gave the order to exterminate all squirrels. For multiple years, you would not find a squirrel within 50 yards of our house. Some times I would see a squirrel at 80 yards or farther across the yard, when they saw me, they would run flat out for a tree. Before we found the squirrel damage in the walls, I would usually not bother with the squirrels that were way across the yard. Because most of the time I was using the Sheridan, with open sights. I figured if they were that far away, I would leave them alone. After finding the squirrel damage, I shot any squirrel I found. I started using my 17 MHR, killed many of them out of trees at around 100 yards. There is a large oak tree down near the barn, on the far edge of the yard. The squirrels like to get up on the roof of the barn, or in that oak tree. That oak tree is right about 100 yards from the house. I popped them out of that tree, under that tree and off of the barn.

Comment

Benjamin 312 with 3 pumps can still hit a 1" target at 30 yards. No scope. Shoot it just about every day to retain muscle memory. It's never been worked on or taken apart. Cira 1957 bought it from my neighbor back in 1965 for 4 buck.
                The new air rifles may be far superior as far as I know.
                Last edited by texaspacker; 12-06-2018, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X