• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Smart

How much reach does a coon have?

Figure if anyone knows, you do

Brought a feeder up to the house to do a little work on

Not sure the coons can reach the spinner through the cage but figure I might as well fix it where they can't while I have it

Anyone else that knows can answer to, I just figure as much as Smart hates them he has done studied up

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
    How much reach does a coon have?

Figure if anyone knows, you do

Brought a feeder up to the house to do a little work on

Not sure the coons can reach the spinner through the cage but figure I might as well fix it where they can't while I have it

Anyone else that knows can answer to, I just figure as much as Smart hates them he has done studied up
    I Know that a big male can spin the plate on an all season's 800lb stand n fill. I had to go back and put eliminators on them.

Comment

Hahahahah.....I might be your guy!..

I go by 9" average....and 11" if he can get his shoulder in...which he can in something with a 1x2" gap or larger. Of course, YMMV either way......

These guards are 23" wide.....so that is 11.5" to the center. The coon can reach the plate because these guard holes are 1x2" and he can get his shoulder in it. That's just what I use when I am determining what I need....

These pics are a big reason why we went with 1x1" mesh on our guards and it has served us well.
      Attached Files

Comment

Well it looks like I am going to have to figure something else out

30gal barrel, 1x2 mesh

I got 8" from outside mesh to edge of spinner

Comment

Trash all that and get a capsule! Coons can't get to the corn and you can fill it from the ground!

Comment

We use the ones that are the same diameter as the 55 gallon drum with the 1x1 mesh also and haven't had an issue since we went to these.

Comment

Funny this was posted, I just picked up a small roll of 1X1 wire yesterday at Lowe’s to build a cage. I was also wondering the size to build to keep them out. This feeder is a 600lb all season, so it has the square bottom instead of the funneled type. I didn’t get the measurements of the bottom when I was out, but I’m thinking I’ll go 14X14 and be plenty good.

Comment

Caught a coon last night in my trap. Wire is 7/8"x7/8" I.D. looks like from his shoulder to his farthest reach was 5". He was a mature coon, and pi**ed!!
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                  Funny this was posted, I just picked up a small roll of 1X1 wire yesterday at Lowe’s to build a cage. I was also wondering the size to build to keep them out. This feeder is a 600lb all season, so it has the square bottom instead of the funneled type. I didn’t get the measurements of the bottom when I was out, but I’m thinking I’ll go 14X14 and be plenty good.

Too small...IMO

These commercial cages are 14x14" and are 1.5x1.5"......they are nothing but coon jungle gyms..

Click image for larger version

Name:	opplanet-american-hunter-varmint-guard-for-55-gal-barrel-20632-5k-hga-amfdtr-20632-main.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	24576452

Name:	Varmint jungle gym (Medium).jpg
Views:	13
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	24576451

Name:	Coon hang.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	24576450

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    Too small...IMO

These commercial cages are 14x14" and are 1.5x1.5"......they are nothing but coon jungle gyms..

[ATTACH]953802[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]953801[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]953800[/ATTACH]
                    True statement right here. We had these and they were robbing us for twice what we were feeding.

Comment

Too small...IMO

[ATTACH]953802[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]953801[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]953800[/ATTACH]
                      How can they reach the spinner on a 14X14 of 1X1 mesh wire with 10” arms? Guess I need to go 16” or even 18.”

Edit. Clearly I didn’t think about the width of the spinner being in the middle.

So what size do y’all think?

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                        How can they reach the spinner on a 14X14 of 1X1 mesh wire with 10” arms? Guess I need to go 16” or even 18.”

Edit. Clearly I didn’t think about the width of the spinner being in the middle.

So what size do y’all think?

Lets do some quick math..

If a cage is 14" wide its only 7" to the dead center of it......not 14". 10" arms easily surpass that even without taking the width of the spinner into account. Those spinners with the flaps are 6" so that's 3" of extra they can reach as well. With a 14" cage and a 6" spinner that is 7" to the center and deduct 3" for half the spinner so the coon would only have to reach in 4" to touch the spinner.

My minimum for a cage would be 23"....just like the one you bought from me on the BigHorn that is round..
                        Last edited by Smart; 04-15-2019, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by droebuck View Post
                          We use the ones that are the same diameter as the 55 gallon drum with the 1x1 mesh also and haven't had an issue since we went to these.
                          Works great for me and I attach the cage with a ratchet strap

Comment

Lets do some quick math..

If a cage is 14" wide its only 7" to the dead center of it......not 14". 10" arms easily surpass that even without taking the width of the spinner into account. Those spinners with the flaps are 6" so that's 3" of extra they can reach as well. With a 14" cage and a 6" spinner that is 7" to the center and deduct 3" for half the spinner so the coon would only have to reach in 4" to touch the spinner.

My minimum for a cage would be 23"....just like the one you bought from me on the BigHorn that is round..
                            For the record, my edit was before your math class. I realized it after I posted it. Lol.

Looks like it may be my best bet to just go from the side and come down. I don’t even know if the hopper itself is 23.” May end up going the complete length of the hopper.

Comment

I use 1x2 mesh on mine, attached to the outside of the barrels. I do occasionally have coons start climbing and trying to get to the corn, but that is when the dukes traps come out and play!!!! [emoji106][emoji106]

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X