Fleshing deer hide...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fleshing deer hide...

In the past I have spent a great deal of time with various knives and tools working to flesh deer hides for tanning. Tonight I decided to try something new... my angle grinder.

I had a regular ole metal grindin wheel and went to town. It worked like a charm but made a heckuva mess. Even removed some of the flesh from my knuckle I dont have any pics from tonight but will post some of the finished product in a few days.

I've used preassure washers with great success...

I'm not sure of what this can do to the logevity of the hide.

Comment

Originally posted by wbhinton View Post
      In the past I have spent a great deal of time with various knives and tools working to flesh deer hides for tanning. Tonight I decided to try something new... my angle grinder.

I had a regular ole metal grindin wheel and went to town. It worked like a charm but made a heckuva mess. Even removed some of the flesh from my knuckle I dont have any pics from tonight but will post some of the finished product in a few days.
      wait, the grinding wheel? not a steel brush? you got some major cojones, i hope it wasnt an important hide?

Comment

I bet that WAS a little messy, but effective.

Comment

I've thought about using my bench grinder, but I bet that angle grinder worked well too. How'd you manage to keep the hide from flyin around?

Comment

they make fleashing machines & sell the blades seperate so you can make your own

Comment

Originally posted by theluckyhunter View Post
              wait, the grinding wheel? not a steel brush? you got some major cojones, i hope it wasnt an important hide?
              It was a learning hide... just trying out new methods

Originally posted by Shane View Post
              I bet that WAS a little messy, but effective.
              More than a little messy but crazy fast. I had two dogs that serve clean up detail in the back yard. If any of my neighbors had looked over the fence and saw me in action they would have thought I had gone nuts.

Originally posted by MountainMan View Post
              I've thought about using my bench grinder, but I bet that angle grinder worked well too. How'd you manage to keep the hide from flyin around?
              I clamped it down to a big table, then pulled tight the section I was workin on. If I let too much slack in the hide the grinder would just wrap up in it and stall out. No holes though.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyn View Post
                they make fleashing machines & sell the blades seperate so you can make your own
                Yes they do, but I ain't got $1000 for one!!

Comment

If you seriously want to do all your own fleshing, you can pick up used fleshing machines on ebay or on taxidermy.net for pretty reasonable prices. The Dakota machines, sold by VanDykes, are the most reasonable ... not the most popular, but from my experience they're well made and will get the job done.

Comment

Anybody got any more DIY, homebrew fleshing/shaving devices or knives?

I'd be interested.

Comment

i had a cow hide priced for tanning and it was like 600 dollars....... so i think i just might follow yall and try it meself

Comment

Looks like I will trying the grinder myself

Comment

Funny how this came up tonite, I was @ tandy leather this afternoon and they have a tool that was about $17.00 I was told to tack it down on plywood and then use the fleshing tool they sell. Then get salt that didn't have iodine in it and rub it all over the hide, let it dry then wash it off and repeat the process again.

Comment

Just make sure your insurance is up to date using a grinder. If you are really serious about doing this but don't want to buy an expensive fleshing wheel, look into the mini fleshers. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by holepuncher View Post
                              Funny how this came up tonite, I was @ tandy leather this afternoon and they have a tool that was about $17.00 I was told to tack it down on plywood and then use the fleshing tool they sell. Then get salt that didn't have iodine in it and rub it all over the hide, let it dry then wash it off and repeat the process again.
                              The info that they gave you is incorrect. The purpose of salting a hide/cape is to draw all the moisture out of it and set the hair follicles. Washing the salt off defeats it's own purpose. If anything, you should shake off the "damp" salt and apply more dry salt.

Comment

Working...
                              X