Brush Country Substitute-Put Me in Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brush Country Substitute-Put Me in Coach

I hunted for a shooter buck at our place in Maverick County, but with a growing family of hunters on our place, I decided to look for a package hunt.

My buddy called me up and told me of a spot that was not going to get filled due to the hunter not having time to come down this year (too much work). The lease manager was willing to let me come in on a package hunt for a 150 and under buck. I jumped on it and 2 days later I was setting up my two double bulls at different locations with the help of one of the lease members and the ranch foreman. I think it was more of a feeling out moment and making sure I would not take this young bucks kinda deal... no worries I would have done the same thing.

The first day I had several nice bucks but I elected to pass them up, hoping for something bigger. On day two, I drew back on a huge 8 pointer twice, but the buck would never stop long enough for a shot. That afternoon I shot a 150 pound hog that had messed up a couple of my hunts. One the third day early in the morning, I had six does eating from the road in my shooting lane when out of the brush I heard the unmistakable noise of a buck raking the brush. I was fully expecting to see the buck when the noised stopped but nothing ever came out for what seemed like an hour but more like thirty minutes. I finally put my bow back on the holder and settled back down. Not five minutes after sitting back on my chair, the raking started and ended as fast as it started; I knew this time... this guy would show himself. As on cue, every doe in front of me lowered their heads and turned around as if to say “please don’t hurt me”.

I was prying this guy coming in would fit the bill of a clean 150 or under. I did the math and was elated he did indeed fit the bill as I drew back and came up to his vitals with my twenty five yard pin. I was relieved to have my rage tipped arrow smack behind the buck’s stretched out front leg.

After waiting 30 minutes I called the ranch foreman, since he was the only person on the ranch at that time. After a 60 yard blood trail that was pretty easy to follow I found my buck and wrapped up my 2011-2012 season.

A week after harvesting my buck, I got a call from the hunter, whose spot I filled. We talked a bit and he told me the buck I took was one of two bucks on his hit lists and the eight that I could not close the deal on was a sold 140 class eight. I told him next year I’ll be ready in case there is a chance to; “put me in coach”.

Even though I took two good bucks this season and was on cloud nine, I could not help and reflect on my season and feel blessed. And no it was not because of my buck from Dimmit or this buck, but because the greatest trophies of the season happened when my daughter and wife both got their first deer.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Joel; 02-08-2012, 12:03 PM.

Forgot to post my daughter's and wife's bucks.
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice bucks...Congrats!!!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Great job!!!!!

Comment

Very Nice deer. So what did he wind up scoring?

Comment

Nice pics and deer

Congrats

Comment

great buck

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                  Very Nice deer. So what did he wind up scoring?
                  Just over 140. Lack of spread kept him under.

Comment

Outstanding!

Comment

That's great Joel! My 9 yr old son took his first deer this year. I think I was the one jumping around more than he was.....

Comment

Working...
                      X