Best way to secure Yeti/brute coolers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to secure Yeti/brute coolers?

I'm trying to come up with away to secure these in the backs of vehicles. Thinking along the lines of a flat plate 6"x6" with 10-15 screws into the outer layer. Anybody put screws into the outside layer using some kind of sheet rock inserts or similar idea. Beyond that, what if your best idea for securing coolers?

Saw a 1 1/2"" wide strip of stainless steel, about 1/8" thick, 12" long with a hole drilled in each end. You run it up through the slot on either side and fold it over, then you can put a lock through the holes and a chain.

The guy that built it told me that he parks his truck everywhere with this on it and hasn't lost the cooler yet.

As for hard mounting like you are talking about, I'd have a hard time drilling holes in my Yeti, but that's just me.

Comment

I lock mine down with a cable and lock run through the plastic handle of my Brute. It has been in the bed of my truck since January and I work in the oil field and stay in hotels all the time all over the US.

Comment

Use an igloo and there is less chance it will get stolen and if it does it's not such a pill to swallow. No lock, cable or chain will stop them worthless thieves.

Comment

My yeti is secured with the yeti security bracket and lock/chain.
          I did some fabrication for my brute, then I run lock/chain through to truck.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374170033.542683.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	24220709

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374170052.128418.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	24220710

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374170068.813942.jpg
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	24220711
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by flatlander View Post
            Saw a 1 1/2"" wide strip of stainless steel, about 1/8" thick, 12" long with a hole drilled in each end. You run it up through the slot on either side and fold it over, then you can put a lock through the holes and a chain.

The guy that built it told me that he parks his truck everywhere with this on it and hasn't lost the cooler yet.

As for hard mounting like you are talking about, I'd have a hard time drilling holes in my Yeti, but that's just me.
            Do you have pictures of the chain? Can't it be cut by bolt cutters? My buddy has had one stolen by cutting a chain. There was an attempt on his second cooler. He had the bent plate that you are referring to and had a python cable thru it. They've a had tried to cut the cable in several locations and also tried to cut the bent plate with bolt cutters. I'm guessing it they had had more time, would probably been able to cut thru the plate though.

Comment

Calling all Southern Engineers! Keep the ideas coming. This could be the greatest thread ever. It's not a brand war, its a war on KEEPING those expensive coolers.

Comment

Here's how I did my Yeti. Cut the end off an old wrench and bent it.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374238077.388003.jpg
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	24220907

Comment

the only way to keep it from getting stolen is not leave it in the back of your truck. over the past 3 years i bet i have sold at least 30 coolers that were being replaced that had been stolen. and they were all chained up just like these. its gonna keep the kids from stealing them but the ones that really want they it won't.

Comment

With the newer Brutes you just lift the lid and drop a chain through the extruded handle and lock it down to what ever you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post

[ATTACH]519015[/ATTACH]
                      that is clever!

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post

[ATTACH]519015[/ATTACH]
                        I'm trying to avoid the standard 1/4" chain/lock shackle due to the ease of cutting with even an 18" pair of bolt cutters. I like the wrench idea. I might be able to incorporate that into my design. Honestly, I looking for a design to make/steal/borrow and patent. Thanks for the input.

Comment

I put a sign on my Coleman that says " there's a truck on other side of building that has a yeti in the bed "

Comment

Originally posted by Witchgrass View Post
                            Do you have pictures of the chain? Can't it be cut by bolt cutters? My buddy has had one stolen by cutting a chain. There was an attempt on his second cooler. He had the bent plate that you are referring to and had a python cable thru it. They've a had tried to cut the cable in several locations and also tried to cut the bent plate with bolt cutters. I'm guessing it they had had more time, would probably been able to cut thru the plate though.
                            With enough time and equipment someone will defeat that or any other setup. I think the key is to make it hard enough that they don't want to try or will move to something less secure. If the cable and plate lasted through several attempts that's probably good enough to take up enough time that the would be thieves will give up and move on before someone notices what they're doing.

LWD

Comment

Originally posted by Breezy View Post
                              the only way to keep it from getting stolen is not leave it in the back of your truck. over the past 3 years i bet i have sold at least 30 coolers that were being replaced that had been stolen. and they were all chained up just like these. its gonna keep the kids from stealing them but the ones that really want they it won't.
                              ^^This^^

Just ask bullelk. He had a Roadie stolen from the front porch of his camper at Garner. When I finally break down and buy a high end cooler it will not get left in the back of my truck.

Comment

Working...
                              X