Testing New "Bullets" - GoldTip Pierce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing New "Bullets" - GoldTip Pierce

Our buddy Jeff hooked me up with some new, heavier arrows to test ahead of my September elk hunt. I've been shooting 29" Beman ICS Hunter 340 shafts fletched with 3 Blazers and 125 gr. head, for a total arrow weight of around 436 grains.

I wanted a heavier setup, so after some research and talking to Jeff we went with Goldtip Kenetic Pierce 300s with 65 gr added to the insert fletched with 4 Fusion X II vanes. I'm going to test them with different head weights to see how they shoot, but total arrow weight will likely fall between 500-525ish grains.

I haven't chrono'd either setup, but I'll be curious to see how they fly compared to my current system.

I'm still trying to decide which broadhead to pair with whichever setup I decide to run. I'll post updates as I continue to test them!
    My Flickr Photos

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Our buddy Jeff hooked me up with some new, heavier arrows to test ahead of my September elk hunt. I've been shooting 29" Beman ICS Hunter 340 shafts fletched with 3 Blazers and 125 gr. head, for a total arrow weight of around 436 grains.

I wanted a heavier setup, so after some research and talking to Jeff we went with Goldtip Kenetic Pierce 300s with 65 gr added to the insert fletched with 4 Fusion X II vanes. I'm going to test them with different head weights to see how they shoot, but total arrow weight will likely fall between 500-525ish grains.

I haven't chrono'd either setup, but I'll be curious to see how they fly compared to my current system.

I'm still trying to decide which broadhead to pair with whichever setup I decide to run. I'll post updates as I continue to test them!
    Mods, please move this to the correct forum

Comment

Would that be the E&T maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
        haha that's classic!

As for the setup, that should do the trick! my arrows are around 435 finished weight and I zipped one through both shoulders on an axis buck at 40 yards with Solid broadhead. So the heavier weight should really add plenty punch at impact. In for the discussion though.

Comment

Comment

I went from a 400gr setup to a Easton Axis 300 with a 75 grain insert and a 150 grain German Kinetic XL broadhead for a finished weight of just over 550 grains. I have now run those arrows through an elk at 59 yards (buried to the fletchings), and a black bear at 23 yards (complete pass through). My bow is also quieter with the heavy arrow and I’ll trade the speed for the quieter bow and absolute penetration. I will not be going back to a lighter arrow from now on.

Comment

I'd be happy to consolidate the E&T forum back here if that makes you happier.
              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Joking Boss....jus' joking

Comment

Interested to see what BH you go with.

I'd be hard pressed to not use the 125 Ramcats. They fly straight and kill good. My only concern would be if making those last second moves with a knocked arrow you must be careful not to snag anything as it will reverse the blade. I've done this while spot and stalk hunting hogs in the thick stuff.

Comment

Nice upgrade, you’ll probably end up not going back to the lighter setup after shooting the new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wish you guys would, the traffic over there is slow.

Comment

When you chrono them, let us know your speed and bow specs (IBO), i am thinking about doing something similar. I use 540 grain total weight arrows on my recurve and even at 180FPS they zip right through critters. I think i want to keep my compound up around 260 FPS though, don't know how heavy i can go.

Comment

Tuned in! I'm thinking about doing the same thing for Africa. Switching back to full metal jackets or maybe these if you like them.

What bow are you shooting now a days?

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
                            Tuned in! I'm thinking about doing the same thing for Africa. Switching back to full metal jackets or maybe these if you like them.

What bow are you shooting now a days?
                            I'm shooting the Mathews HTR Nocam

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                            When you chrono them, let us know your speed and bow specs (IBO), i am thinking about doing something similar. I use 540 grain total weight arrows on my recurve and even at 180FPS they zip right through critters. I think i want to keep my compound up around 260 FPS though, don't know how heavy i can go.

I don't want to drop much below that, either. I'd like to find a happy medium with a heavy-ish arrow that flies well but still keeps my pin gaps reasonable at longer yardage.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

KifaruCast is doing a very timely series on broadheads, with yesterday's first guest being Ironwill Outfitters' Bill Vanderheyden. It was a very interesting discussion and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series as I narrow down my broadhead choice.

Thanks for all the great feedback!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                              X