A deer lease is no place to get hurt, my story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A deer lease is no place to get hurt, my story

Three weeks ago I took a 10’ steel tower to the lease to prepare to set a box blind on it. While my wife was standing at the end of the trailer, I was standing in the bed pushing the tower out of the trailer.
    But it went off the side and rolled, one of the steel angle iron braces hit me in the back launching me out of the trailer. I’m told I hit the ground face first and didn’t move.
    When I got my senses back I turned over and had broken my arm above the wrist in 6 places and cracked my wrist.
    I was in the middle of a 17,000 acre ranch and it took 1.5 hrs to get me to the first dirt county road and another 40 mins to town.
    This has stopped me from being able to operate my business and from enjoying life in general. I will recover, I’m told with 5 months of therapy.
    Everybody please be careful and don’t be alone at the lease.

Terrible. Prayers up for fast healing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awful!! And it happens so quickly!! I’ve actually been looking into air evac services for our ranch.

Comment

Glad it wasn't worse. Prayers up for a fast recovery

Comment

Prayers Up for a complete recovery.

Comment

Wow. Sorry for your injuries, but glad it didn't turn out worst

Comment

Wow, glad it wasn't worse. It could have been a lot worse. I help manage several big ranches and even though I have keys and remote to all gates I still call owners and ranch hands to let them know I'm there and how long I'll be there and call back or text when I leave. I tell them if I don't call back to send everybody to look for me, because somethings wrong. Be safe and respect the Monte! Prayers up for a speedy recovery!

Comment

Dadgummit! Glad you are still able to post about it. Life can change in a flash!

Comment

You just can't be too safe when on the lease. I think about that stuff all the time. Praying you recover quickly.

Comment

Glad you weren't alone. Always go accompanied by friends.

Comment

Dang, when you hurt yourself, you go all out!

Hope everything heals up ok!

Comment

Lucky it wasn't worse ! Heal up quickly Sir !

Comment

Dang. What was the closest town?? Decent hospital??

I am glad my son is old enough now, almost 14, to drive us to town if we were in a jam.

Comment

Glad that you are ok.

I love going to the lease by myself. I really enjoy the solitude. My hunting buddies gripe about me being out there alone, but a least they know I am there and I check in once or twice a day. Thankfully have never had anything serious occur when I am by myself.

That being said three of us went to the lease this weekend to help set up a new blind. It seems nothing ever goes as easy or as fast as you would expect. Straps break, tools get lost, something was left back in town.... And to top it all of one of the guys fell off the ladder trying too hard to get done before sundown. He's a big fella and we will have to bring in a yard or two of dirt to fill in the hole he made when he hit the ground.

Comment

jumped out of the back of a jeep at the lease and caught the hammer loop on my jeans on the step, flipped me 180 degrees at which point the loop broke and dropped me dead on the back of my head. Out cold and said Nixon when asked who the current president was, this was 2006 btw.

Fast forward two years and got thrown from Polaris, landed on my rifle, broke two ribs and blew up the rifle in addition to knocking myself out cold again. Two concussions in three years and I'm infinitely more careful now.

Comment

Working...
                              X