Why the stupid highway signs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
    Sounds like your border line genius most people I encounter when working floods, pull up to the barricades as we are putting them out and ask” is the road closed?” I guess they don’t see 3’ of water rushing across the road then ask can I make it?
    exactly!

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
      How bout the “baby on board” signs chicks out on heir cars? Drives me insane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Found out these are for first responders in case of an accident. Makes me hate them just a little bit less.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
          Guardrail Damage Ahead:

Okay, well dang. I was gonna hit that one but somebody already beat me to it. Maybe I can get the next one.

Pass With Care:

Well crap. I was just going to pass grandma going up this hill but now I'll have to wait.

Loose Gravel:

That's it. I'm turning around and finding a road with tight gravel.

This Road May Flood

Yea, but it may not. And it's not flooded now. What to do, what to do.

What's the purpose of these signs other than some politicians brother-in-law is in the sign making business.
          Guardrail Damage Ahead:
          When a guardrail installation is damaged, a review should be made to determine whether it is feasible to upgrade the installation to current design standards. "Guardrail Damage Ahead" signs should be installed only when substantial damage occurs to guardrail barriers or attenuators which causes them to not function properly. Repairs should be made as soon as practical. The following items should generally be considered in this analysis:

Is the section of guardrail still required under current design standards?
          Can the guardrail installation be avoided with the elimination of the hazard or the flattening of the slope?
          If it is determined that the guardrail is still necessary and more than approximately 25 percent or more of the installation requires replacement, the installation should be upgraded to current design standards.

Pass With Care:
          The PASS WITH CARE sign should be installed at the downstream end of a no-passing zone if a DO NOT PASS sign has been installed at the upstream end of the zone.

Loose Gravel:
          The LOOSE GRAVEL sign may be used to warn of loose gravel on the
          roadway surface.

This Road May Flood:
          The ROAD MAY FLOOD sign may be used to warn road users that a section of roadway is subject to frequent flooding. The WATER CROSSING sign may be used to warn of a dip or ford where the roadway is normally underwater. The WHEN FLOODED TURN AROUND DON’T DROWN sign may be used in addition to the W8-18 or W8-18aT sign. A Depth Gauge sign and plaque may also be installed within a roadway section that frequently floods.

There now I feel like that old guy on here that all he does is google

Comment

I think we need more signs.

Comment

well, duh......the stupid signs are for all the stupid people out there.

Think of the average guy....

Fully half of the population is dumber than that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                You can't protect people from running off the road at every point of road, highway dept! .
                This is what infuriated many folks in Bosque County. And even more that just visited there. TXDOT had many very old oak trees cut down near roads. Some were estimated to be as old as 200+ years old. There were adults who as children waited for school buses under or near those trees. We’re not talking about heavily populated areas either. From what I recall there were plenty of them cut down in rural locations.

Someone else pointed out how their so-called safety concerns about trees near roadways are contradictive. They supposedly had another program where trees are planted along medians and other locations ALONG ROADWAYS. 🤣

Comment

We'll be driving thru NM tonight. I've spent a lot of time there and have always wondered how much was spent on EVERY no passing area. Three signs: NO PASSING ZONE, DO NOT PASS, and PASS WITH CARE. Forget the fact that there are painted stripes as well that give the regs to motorists just fine. I may just have to get clicker tonight and make a road game out of it.

Comment

I stole a "Speed Humps" sign in high school and had it in my room in college.

Gotta lot of laughs. Not much else.

Comment

Ice on Bridge....sign is up during the Summer

Comment

My Favorite are the Watch for Rattlesnakes signs at the rest stops outside Quanah and Childress and farther up in the panhandle

Comment

I like the big TXDOT signs that tell you not to text and drive, but they want you to look up away from the road to read the sign.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Pence View Post
                            My Favorite are the Watch for Rattlesnakes signs at the rest stops outside Quanah and Childress and farther up in the panhandle
                            There’s one at the Amarillo TXDOT travel center or whatever it’s called. It’s at a footbridge crossing. Wouldn’t be surprised if a number of little brats have been allowed by babymomma or babydaddy to run under there where the rocks are at. Then little Johnny gets bit or stung by something.

Comment

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
                              Found out these are for first responders in case of an accident. Makes me hate them just a little bit less.
                              Why you hate first responders ?..

Comment

"Bridge may ice in cold weather"

When else would it ice?

"Observe Warning signs, it's the law"

If you weren't observing the signs you wouldn't know it's the law to observe them.

Comment

Working...
                                X