Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Backcountry Layering System (Gear Preview Video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Backcountry Layering System (Gear Preview Video)

This video continues my Gear Preview video series on YouTube with a discussion on my layering system for my September elk hunt. I found a great deal on some First Lite items at the Field and Stream Store last month and rounded that out with a few pieces from Kuiu.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE8GgT7MNKs&t=7s"]Layering for Backcountry Bow Hunt - First Lite, Kuiu, WoolX - YouTube[/ame]
    In this video I (p)review my layering system for my first backcountry hunt. I was fortunate to find a great deal on First Lite Corrugate Guide Pants, Minaret...

What am I missing from the system? Would you omit anything?
    My Flickr Photos

You are off to a great start I had to buy some extra things after my first hunt.. I spent more than I wanted on some of my gear . However with that said Look into six site gear . Amazing clothing. Brush in Elk country can be very hard on cheaper pants first and foremost .

I opted for the gunnison line of pants and jacket . Now they have pockets in places that make sense the jacket had a small pocket and loop for range finder on your chest . The clothing is extremely well thought out you can buy in Dallas or on line .

I have other more costly items and some less I feel that this is by far the nicest set up I could find . Not sure where you live but if you are near me be happy to show them to you . I have his pack also its great but I have too many and that one got listed for sale . I will opt for the horses to pack the meat out . Yes it costly but well worth it for me .

A zip up vest is one item that I added after my first hunt Amazing warmth without the bulking in the arms

Gloves I have two pair one thin liner type and the other thicker ..

Boots are my style I had issue with a longer boot there last year as I torn a sole off one of my low cut boots .. Each person will like something different than the next almost flat feet .

Clothing that breaths is important I was hiking in 2 Miles in some of the areas and its up and down no easy going path per say and easy to get over heated , will do this .

Comment

I feel pretty good about my system. I ordered a pair of lightweight merino gloves from Camofire yesterday, so my only question at this point is a shirt to hike in and whether to go LS or SS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Well temp wise if is cool to cold I wear my vest with LS but if your layered I think I would go SS . Kinda hard to even test much of it as it was 110 temp wise here yesterday . HA HA .

Comment

Good info and gear choice. When / where are you hunting? We will be in the Weminuche Wilderness Sept 18-25. We hunt 15 miles in via horse. Best of luck!

Comment

I'm not a video watcher, but I would say some very lightweight merino base layers, a heavier merino layer, a fleece pullover, a jacket( waterproof if possible), light pants, medium pants, rain pants, gaiters, merino glove liners and medium gloves , wool socks.
            A vest is great layering piece too.
            I wear a wool shirt instead of a jacket most days with a merino top and maybe a light fleece under the shirt. Packable rain jacket goes along on iffy weather days.
            The sitka pants with knee pads are great.
            Get a game bird license and take some grouse arrows too.

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
              Well temp wise if is cool to cold I wear my vest with LS but if your layered I think I would go SS . Kinda hard to even test much of it as it was 110 temp wise here yesterday . HA HA .
              Most of the pack in will be at lower elevation, and probably warm. It looks like we'll go in around 9/9.

I'm going back to Denver for work on 8/6-9 and I'm trying to figure out if I can stay another few days to do another hike to scout and test gear and my body!
              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Nice video. I’m flying into Denver on the 7th and bringing pretty similar clothing to yours.

Smartwool boxers (x2)
                Darn tough midweight socks (x2)
                Injinji Coolmax sock liners (x2)
                KUIU 145 merino base layer bottoms
                Smartwool 150 SS & LS tops
                Smartwool liner gloves

KUIU Attack pants
                North Face 1/4 zip fleece
                KUIU Kenai hooded jacket
                North Face fleece gloves
                First lite merino beanie

Salmon Quest 4D boots
                KUIU Yukon gaiters
                KUIU Ultra NX rain jacket and Teton pants

I highly recommend the Injini Coolmax liners. They have a noticeable cooling effect when you put them on, and they kept my feet dry even though my Darn Tough socks got very sweaty. The toe design is strange but I got used to it quickly, and I did have a mild hot spot between my small toes before I started using those liners. I tried poly liners also and wasn’t a fan, they made my feet slip too much inside my socks. Make sure you have a section of Leukotape for blisters as well.

I’m taking both SS and LS merino tops so I have something to change into when I get back to camp in the evenings. Most of the poly/athletic shirts will smell so bad after packing in that I won’t want to put them on again, even if they dry out. Moose Jaw has some pretty good sales going right now.

Putting on my spare merino top, socks, and boxers, along with my zip off base layer pants will give me a “fresh” set of clothes to sleep in and let my hunting stuff air out, as well as speed up getting ready in the morning.
                Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 07-20-2018, 03:34 PM.

Comment

From my 30 years of hunting in Colorado, if your going 9/9 you might want to take some shorts and SS tee shirts for the middle of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                    From my 30 years of hunting in Colorado, if your going 9/9 you might want to take some shorts and SS tee shirts for the middle of the day.

Shorts may not be a bad idea, but I'm not sure if they're worth extra weight. I wish the Corrugates had zip-off legs. I wore some north face hiking pants in May and never zipped them off, though.
                    Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
                    Nice video. I’m flying into Denver on the 7th and bringing pretty similar clothing to yours.

Smartwool boxers (x2)
                    Darn tough midweight socks (x2)
                    Injinji Coolmax sock liners (x2)
                    KUIU 145 merino base layer bottoms
                    Smartwool 150 SS & LS tops
                    Smartwool liner gloves

KUIU Attack pants
                    North Face 1/4 zip fleece
                    KUIU Kenai hooded jacket
                    North Face fleece gloves
                    First lite merino beanie

Salmon Quest 4D boots
                    KUIU Yukon gaiters
                    KUIU Ultra NX rain jacket and Teton pants

I highly recommend the Injini Coolmax liners. They have a noticeable cooling effect when you put them on, and they kept my feet dry even though my Darn Tough socks got very sweaty. The toe design is strange but I got used to it quickly, and I did have a mild hot spot between my small toes before I started using those liners. I tried poly liners also and wasn’t a fan, they made my feet slip too much inside my socks. Make sure you have a section of Leukotape for blisters as well.

I’m taking both SS and LS merino tops so I have something to change into when I get back to camp in the evenings. Most of the poly/athletic shirts will smell so bad after packing in that I won’t want to put them on again, even if they dry out. Moose Jaw has some pretty good sales going right now.

Putting on my spare merino top, socks, and boxers, along with my zip off base layer pants will give me a “fresh” set of clothes to sleep in and let my hunting stuff air out, as well as speed up getting ready in the morning.

Good info! I'll check out Moosejaw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                    X