Labrador Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labrador Question

I have been thinking about getting a Lab for a duck dog and I have a couple questions I would like answers to regarding the breed. Is there much of a difference in retrieving and training capabilities between the Black, Chocolate, Yellow and Silver Labs? I heard that Chocolate Labs have a tendency to have night blindness more than the other breeds, is that fact or fiction? What are common health problems specific to the Silver Lab or do they have the same issues as the other Lab breeds?

You always here to look for a pup that is inquisitive, good demeanor and many other things. I have never looked for a duck dog before so I am not really sure what those traits look like in a puppy as it plays with it's litter mates. Can you provide some things that you look for in a pup when determining if it is "birdy" enough to be a good duck dog?

don't forget it could be gun shy

Comment

It's not about the color. It's about the pedigree. People have had success with all colors but no one can build a champion dog with a crap pedigree to start.

Personally I'm partial to light colored English labs.

Comment

Originally posted by bdchorn View Post
        It's not about the color. It's about the pedigree. People have had success with all colors but no one can build a champion dog with a crap pedigree to start.

Personally I'm partial to light colored English labs.
        I have had two yellows, a black, and now have a chocolate. bdchorn is spot on. The two best hunting dogs I've owned were the yellows but I think that is a result of having the best pedigree and they both got more reps (I hunted a lot more when I had the yellows).

The chocolate I have now has been gun shy from day one (loves to retrieve though) and he has never retrieved a bird in the field. That said, he is the best family dog I've ever owned.

There are definitely things you can do to increase your chances of finding a good hunting dog but there is some luck involved too.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Buckley99; 06-26-2017, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Its all about the blood lines and having a good eye as far as when they are pups. Some of the best can throw a undesirable or a dog with not much drive. I have bought 2 different English blood lines sight unseen and they both have a big drive and are spot on.Look at the breeding and look at the pups. Don't look at them after feeding. See which one is the one that runs after leaves or throw a few wings 30 - 40 feet.Good luck

Comment

If it ain't black....take it back![emoji6]

Comment

A lot of the colored labs have problems because of breeders breeding for color and not pedigree. Color has nothing to do with the dogs health or capability. Pedigree does. I would generally lean toward the yellows or blacks for a solid pedigree, but if you do your research you can find any color that is bred right.

Comment

They're are some solid pedigree chocolate labs out there. Just have to do a little research. I have a chocolate pup with Barracuda Blue and Lean Mac bloodlines

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                  If it ain't black....take it back![emoji6]

Nothing finer than hunting behind a black lab.

If you look close on this one he is dragging in two birds at once.

Comment

Don't perpetuate the silver lab mutts, please. Regardless of what the pedigree says, the DNA doesn't lie. There is some weimeraner in the woodpile somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
                      Don't perpetuate the silver lab mutts, please. Regardless of what the pedigree says, the DNA doesn't lie. There is some weimeraner in the woodpile somewhere.
                      X2

Comment

I have trained several Labs and by far the easiest was a yellow female. I don't think the color made any difference but I was at a point in life where I had the time to dedicate to the training. Plan on 30 minutes every day.
                        Be consistent. Silver labs are pretty but I don't plan on ever having one.

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
                          A fox in the hen house you say? LMAO.

Many have spoken about an English Lab. What are the differences between them and the typical Lab?

Comment

Originally posted by Whosure View Post
                            A fox in the hen house you say? LMAO.

Many have spoken about an English Lab. What are the differences between them and the typical Lab?
                            English labs are the proper confirmation per the AKC standard. They are shorter, stockier and have bigger heads than the more common American lab

Comment

Like many have already stated pedigree plays a huge role in it and like everything else in this world, more times than nothe you get what you pay for. I don't think color plays a huge roll in it but with that said I haven't seen many silvers that are rock solid hunters, could be that there is not that many around ...yet or it could be more to it. Just wouldn't be something I would risk if I were looking for a hunting dog. My great uncle use to train labs and always told me never go to a litter with your mind already made up from pictures on which one you want. They all have the same pedigree. He said he would pick up each puppy and look them in the eyes face to face and which ever one would look back at him in the eyes the longest was the one that he would get based on the fact that he thought they immediately showed trust in him and inquisitiveness. Is this true or not beats the heck out of me but I know those were some of the best dang dogs I've seen.

Comment

Working...
                              X