Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Missed opportunity @ target buck.... er... uh... deer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missed opportunity @ target buck.... er... uh... deer!

Been getting pics of this deer for the past 3 yrs. Never a sighting, just pics.

Obviously a doe w horns (I posted a pic on TBH once but can't find it now). Never loses velvet and no male genitalia.

Above avg body size, too.

This morning was my first sit this yr. There are no decent bucks (only 1 spike, period) on cam this yr (and no pics of this velvet doe). Lots of doe pics until recently (acorns?).

Covert's been telling me not much deer activity lately but 1 boar is a regular at about 930 so I was hoping for him (only 4 pigs on cam all yr).

Heard deer blowing about 830 and figgered I was done.

At 9, someone opened the gate. 2 doe, 3 bucks, 4 more doe, the Velvet Doe w 4 more doe, then 3 more doe.

I noticed the VD looked heavy horned and tall but not a shooter (as a buck). She was in dark shadows and in/out of patchy brush. I didnt realize what deer this was, at first glance. Had I known, I could have easily shot her/it at 25 yds.

When those last 3 doe came in "it's" group shied away. As it went through an opening, in the sunlight, I recognized it.

Too late. That group left but came back to within 40 yds a few min later only to leave again.

Ended up seeing 19 deer total. 5 had horns.

Cam was sending real time photos. 9-930 only 5 pics.

My TX hunter feeder disperses corn in a wide, far pattern. All of these deer ate corn but 75% of them never got in front of the cam.

Even w cell cams, you never know what your missing, lol.

Wish I could find that pic. I'll try to find and post it later.
    Not a big rack but cool none the less.

I've gotta Muzzy w "it's" name on it. Now that I know it's still around, I'll be ready and recognize it immediately!

How does that work? Tags say buck or antlerless, nothing about doe.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
      Can’t use an antlerless tag on a deer with antlers.

Comment

Burned a buck tag on a transgender

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
          Originally posted by lilavidhunter View Post
          Can’t use an antlerless tag on a deer with antlers.
          Yep. I never really thought about what to tag a deer in velvet. Looked it on TPWD app. It's a buck.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Pic

[ATTACH]975961[/ATTACH]

From last yr.

Comment

Man that’s a neat deer. I saw one that had been shot on a ranch north of Abilien this season. Maybe next time your luck will be better!

Comment

I have a photo of one I have suspicions about
                only velvet hunts in the pasture.
                But it does run with a mature 10.
                Have a photo if any one is curious.

BP

Comment

After sitting 3 times in that stand this weekend, no good bucks. Had deer come in every sit but the VD didn't return.

Covert sent me a pic at 9:45 this a.m. of the biggest buck I've had on cam at this feeder all year ! Not a bruiser, but at least it would've been something to look at if he'd come in yesterday am instead, lol.

Comment

Very weird.lol

Comment

Stag,he will never drop his horns or come out of velvet,Antlers will continue to grow throughout His Life

Comment

antlers

Originally posted by happy bowhunter View Post
                        Stag,he will never drop his horns or come out of velvet,Antlers will continue to grow throughout His Life
                        I wasn't sure if the antlers dropped yearly or not. Seems to me they are a lil smaller this year than last. But...… I could be wrong.

Hope to get more pix.

Not a trophy rack, but it'll get shot (at) if I see it again.

D.

Comment

Working...
                        X