• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top 10 things I learned while hunting with my kids this week

10. Hot hands must be shaken at least 1000 times. They are loud as well

9. Deer can hear the buttons on a Nintendo switch when it is calm

8. Snacks, snacks and more snacks

7. B.B. guns are still great for teaching gun safety, marksmanship and shooting enjoyment

6. Kids boots and gloves do not work under 20 degrees for more than 1 hour. It doesn’t matter how good they are

5. The biggest buck on the place will show up when you are hunting culls

4. Hunting camp is better with kids

3. iPads don’t like cold

2. It takes about 4 minutes for kids to find animals in the scope of a rifle or crossbow.

1. The reason my dad always let me shoot the trophy when it cam in. Hunting with your kids is the best thing you can do.

One more special note, we saw 2 shooters, and 2 pigs all in range. We never pulled the trigger. It did not matter. Everyone had a great time, and everyone wants to go back.

Comment

#4 and #1 for sure. my 9yo son his buddy changed their clothes twice last Thursday because they were soaked from "breaking ice in the pond (in 25 degree weather)" in front of the cabin. my son killed his first deer that afternoon and even though he said "you could probably see my heart beating through my jacket" i would bet a paycheck i was still more nervous than him when the deer walked out.

Comment

These all sound about right. #4 is spot on!!! No kiddos of my own but i love it when our camp is full of the little turds running around harassing everything and everyone.

Comment

Headphones sound like a good idea but really they just make your kid yell when they are "trying" to whisper

I have a 4yr old son "we" shot a nice turkey this year and watched several young deer and now he is HOOKED
          Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Time spent hunting and fishing with your kids does not count against our allotted time on earth.

Comment

Nothing like family to share hunting experiences with.

Comment

Great post. My grandson hunted w me a few times the last few years. Here are a few more to add:

#12. Kids have to have lots of drinks. And pee a lot.
                #13. Invest in another pair of binoculars. Or two.
                #14. Bring a heater if it's under 40 degrees.
                #15. If they're too young to shoot, and you kill something, take plea try of pics of them w the prize.

Comment

Good stuff

Comment

Good stuff, Keith!

I took my son to call coyotes last sat, at 25ish degrees. He made it through 1 stand and was cold, despite having 2x’s as much clothing as me! He sat in the truck with it running on the 2nd stand while I called in a dog at 50 yards.

Comment

Top 10 things I learned while hunting with my kids this week

Buy stock in headnets and camo gloves. !!! They can lose a couple of each of these every hunt. [emoji16] " Son where's your headnet and gloves?"

"I dunno"

"You just had them when we walked out of the camphouse and we arent even to the truck yet !!!!

Probably had that conversation a hundred times with my four sons when they were growing up

Wouldn't trade those times for anything

Comment

Lmao. Great thread Keith

Comment

Originally posted by huntingfanatic View Post
                          Buy stock in headnets and camo gloves. !!! They can lose a couple of each of these every hunt. [emoji16] " Son where's your headnet and gloves?"

"I dunno"

"You just had them when we walked out of the camphouse and we arent even to the truck yet !!!!

Probably had that conversation a hundred times with my four sons when they were growing up

Wouldn't trade those times for anything
                          Yep, and give them a little safety course with the buddy heater. Mine melted the palms of his brand new gloves, singed the furry part of his toboggan around his face AND melted the zipper on the leg of his coveralls.

Comment

Agree with all!!

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Shot View Post
                              Great post. My grandson hunted w me a few times the last few years. Here are a few more to add:

#12. Kids have to have lots of drinks. And pee a lot.
                              #13. Invest in another pair of binoculars. Or two.
                              #14. Bring a heater if it's under 40 degrees.
                              #15. If they're too young to shoot, and you kill something, take plea try of pics of them w the prize.
                              #12 applies to wives on their first trip ever to the blind. Zero chance this is fixed at the stand as well
                              #13 I had already learned. They need their own and they need to be cheap, preferably plastic and light. Good binos sound like a shot going off when dropped on the floor. Throw away the case for theirs as well. Velcro makes tons of noise as well and is fun to play with.

Comment

Working...
                              X