No announcement yet.

Aransas NWR 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Few trees busted up, mostly everything is intact. I've seen 7 hogs and 3 javis, saw one pig while hunting this morning but I forgot to chamber a round and she heard the "click" and took off. Heard one deer blow but that's all. One doe and a spike killed this morning. It's hot like really really hot. Makes for some hard hunting with the full moon, hopefully the afternoon will be better.

Comment

Originally posted by jason86 View Post
      Few trees busted up, mostly everything is intact. I've seen 7 hogs and 3 javis, saw one pig while hunting this morning but I forgot to chamber a round and she heard the "click" and took off. Heard one deer blow but that's all. One doe and a spike killed this morning. It's hot like really really hot. Makes for some hard hunting with the full moon, hopefully the afternoon will be better.
      The hunting is never easy, 90% of the time you can hunt out there, it will be hot and humid. It is definitely a very hard place to hunt. Not so hard to kill doe, not that hard to kill hogs. But decent bucks are hard to kill out there, always.

Comment

Good luck. Look for areas with lots of short scrub oaks, covered with acorns.

Comment

Thats good to hear that things aren’t too busted up. Better luck to you today. It seems that things were slow everywhere yesterday. Turns out mid-70s isnt’t proper deer weather.

Comment

1st rifle hunt pretty much a bust, how were the mosquitos?

Comment

No one has anymore details about season one???

Comment

Couple 8pts, couple 6pts, couple spikes, couple doe, couple hogs... not bad, but not great for 90 hunters? Challenges included full moons, morning fog, warm weather, and that tall grass... mosquitoes were manageable. I'd hunt there again

Comment

That's 10 critters down for 90 hunters, roughly 12% success rate. Normally for the opening gun hunt its 35% to 45%.

Comment

Originally posted by houstonhunter2 View Post
                    Couple 8pts, couple 6pts, couple spikes, couple doe, couple hogs... not bad, but not great for 90 hunters? Challenges included full moons, morning fog, warm weather, and that tall grass... mosquitoes were manageable. I'd hunt there again
                    Thanks for the info. I’ve been brainstorming about how to get above the grass but haven’t really come up with anything. There is no way I’m hauling a tripod out there... guess I’ll have to keep on thinking.

Comment

Need to be in a tripod, I tried stalking/still hunting and couldn't see jack unless I was in a fire break, grass is to darn tall. If I was on a fire break I would have to react quickly to get a shot as there is no reason for deer to stop in them. Mesquitos were bad but manageable with good spray and thermocell. I had to leave early due to a family emergency but for sure could have atleast killed pigs pretty easily. They love to root in the fire breaks and are easy Pickens there. Like said before the fog,heat, and full moon were challenges. I tried rattling a bit with no luck. All the bucks that I saw brought in were not wet on their haucks and didn't smell rutted up at all. Saw very few acorns as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
                        Thanks for the info. I’ve been brainstorming about how to get above the grass but haven’t really come up with anything. There is no way I’m hauling a tripod out there... guess I’ll have to keep on thinking.
                        You will struggle if you don't get in the air. Get a light one it will make the hunt much more enjoyable. It's worth spending to coin. Don't climb the trees lol I got a bad case of poison oak on my scout day. Good luck.

Comment

Need to be in a tripod, I tried stalking/still hunting and couldn't see jack unless I was in a fire break, grass is to darn tall. If I was on a fire break I would have to react quickly to get a shot as there is no reason for deer to stop in them. Mesquitos were bad but manageable with good spray and thermocell. I had to leave early due to a family emergency but for sure could have atleast killed pigs pretty easily. They love to root in the fire breaks and are easy Pickens there. Like said before the fog,heat, and full moon were challenges. I tried rattling a bit with no luck. All the bucks that I saw brought in were not wet on their haucks and didn't smell rutted up at all. Saw very few acorns as well.
                          Those things you are calling fire breaks, are probably old senderos created either for pipe lines, or seismograph work. They will cut trails and run a line of thumper trucks across the place. Many times we have been out there, they were run the seismograph tumper trucks, across the place, every time they did so, they cut new senderos.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post

Where are you located?

I've been bowhunting the refuge for over 45yrs. You need at least a 6' tripod for the rifle hunt. I've got a light weight one you can borrow.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                              Those things you are calling fire breaks, are probably old senderos created either for pipe lines, or seismograph work. They will cut trails and run a line of thumper trucks across the place. Many times we have been out there, they were run the seismograph tumper trucks, across the place, every time they did so, they cut new senderos.
                              That is what the federal game warden/ranger called them.

Comment

That is what the federal game warden/ranger called them.

Actually they are a good many fire breaks that are cut and maintained by the refuge for their burn program. Each pasture along the shore line gets burned once every three years or so. Well unless the wind picks up or changes then the whole **** thing burns.

Comment

Working...
                                X