Camping at LBJ Grasslands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camping at LBJ Grasslands?

Anybody ever do any camping (other than for hunting reasons) at LBJ Grasslands? The family and I are looking to do some primitive camping this week and from everything I've read and learned a National Park offers better primitive opportunities with less regs, than State Parks.

I would appreciate any and all information pertaining to camping at LBJ. Thanks!

WV

I can't help, but I did try to talk the wife into it for next week- and so now we are going to Benbrook!

When I spoke with the folks at the HQ in Decatur, you can camp anywhere. They had some campgrounds, but from what I saw I'd just find a spot and setup. We did like the area around Tadra Point, you can get out of the campground and still be a butt-squeezing walk to the toilets. We were going to be in our 5th wheel so momma wouldn't be walking. You might call- 940-627-5475

Comment

Watch out for horses!

Comment

Primitive camping anywhere but don't drive off road. You'll see camp spots where you can safely get your car/truck off the road but not far. Just look for a spot where the trees offer a break from the prevailing winds. Camp close to Cottonwood lake (unit 31) and you can do a little fishing. Tadra Point is in the same unit and another fee area is Valley View camp ground. Both have turlets... Or use a tree.
        Nothing like a campfire on a cool evening with a nice breeze!!
        And there's hogs so you might get in a little hunting if your lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
          Watch out for horses!
          We camped off off the yellow horse trail at 3 deer camp (our own creation) and had the mule women stop by for coffee one morning. I've got a couple awesome stories about them 2 gals!!. But that was years ago...

Comment

WCB- not sure if we want to know.

Comment

My wife and I are going to take the kids out there today and we are gonna stay the night in our pop-up. There is a small area just outside of Black Creek Lake we are going to setup at.
              Can you have a camp fire any where or does it have to be in a fire ring?

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Shake, from what I remember reading, no issues with campfires. There was something about checking with local authorities, but I wouldn't see a problem with it. If you get a ticket I didn't tell you!

Comment

We camp there often and always take the ponies for day riding. It is good fun. All you have to do is just show up and camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                      Shake, from what I remember reading, no issues with campfires. There was something about checking with local authorities, but I wouldn't see a problem with it. If you get a ticket I didn't tell you!

We took the pop-up out and stayed last night close to Black Creek Lake. We had a truck drive by that said Law Enforcement and he never stopped so I guess we were ok.

Comment

There is no burn ban as far as I know right now. Been lots of rain.... Just keep your campfire safe and DO NOT leave it burning when your not there. You will get a ticket.
                        Many spots where people camp already have a rock bordered fire spot. Use one of those or make your own. Don't cut any standing trees. There's more than enough fallen wood around to have as big a fire as one could want!!

Comment

Bump!

Thinking about doing some camping at the grasslands this spring/summer. Anyone with some more current info? We live just a few miles from there. Guess we need to jump in the truck and go do some exploring beforehand.

Skinny

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                            Bump!

Thinking about doing some camping at the grasslands this spring/summer. Anyone with some more current info? We live just a few miles from there. Guess we need to jump in the truck and go do some exploring beforehand.

Skinny
                            Check out the pines in unit 15. Good camping area and shouldn’t have much company this time of year.

And spray your clothing with premitherin (sp). Ticks will be bad...

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
                              Check out the pines in unit 15. Good camping area and shouldn’t have much company this time of year.

And spray your clothing with premitherin (sp). Ticks will be bad...

How do you get there from Forestburg or Alvord?

Skinny

Comment

Working...
                              X