spray insulation for shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spray insulation for shop

I am building a good sized shop in my back yard. 30x30x15 tall with a 20x30 carport on the front. I just about have it framed. Next is puttin on the tin, then spraying insulation. I need to know the pro's and con's to open cell and closed cell spray foam. It will be air conditioned. I've heard open cell sweats and can be an issue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0106.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	25148970

Name:	IMG_0107.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	25148971

Name:	IMG_0123.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	25148972

If any of it will be left exposed to the weather I would not do open cell. I also would not do it inside the shop for multiple reasons. Closed Cell at 1.5 inches thick per most manufacturer guidelines is a moisture barrier and will not sweat or damage the foam. It's also more rigid and can provide structural strength to the tin. Closed Cell is also easier to make it smoother looking than open cell. To.me, open cell is just a glorified fiberglass batt insulation with air tight capabilities. It's great for inside walls and attics of homes and is a great sound dampener. I run a spray foam rig and would not advise any of my clients to use open cell in a shop.

Banded Drake Custom Calls

Comment

@sendit

Comment

Originally posted by fulldraw_529 View Post
        If any of it will be left exposed to the weather I would not do open cell. I also would not do it inside the shop for multiple reasons. Closed Cell at 1.5 inches thick per most manufacturer guidelines is a moisture barrier and will not sweat or damage the foam. It's also more rigid and can provide structural strength to the tin. Closed Cell is also easier to make it smoother looking than open cell. To.me, open cell is just a glorified fiberglass batt insulation with air tight capabilities. It's great for inside walls and attics of homes and is a great sound dampener. I run a spray foam rig and would not advise any of my clients to use open cell in a shop.

Banded Drake Custom Calls
        Thanks for the advice.

Comment

I'm about to do the same thing you are , and with all the information I've got from research and talking to people closed cell is the best way to go.

Comment

If you can afford the closed cell I'd go that route. However, it will be roughly 2x the cost of open cell per r value.
            Last edited by Gclyde28; 06-20-2018, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Dozer sprays insulation. Look up Bucks Construction Services

Comment

I need someone around the Houston area to come give estimate on spraying my attic

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stickers View Post
                  I need someone around the Houston area to come give estimate on spraying my attic
                  Where at in Houston

Comment

For a shop with exposed walls, I would do closed cell. Like someone said above, you need minimum 1.5" but I have read many places say 2" to become a vapor barrier to prevent the sweating issue. If you are going to build walls, I'd do open cell. I just had my building (stick built) done in open cell.

Not sure what you are doing about a/c but MrCool/Pioneer has some very affordable DIY mini split kits. I installed a 2 ton on my shop (2000sqft) and it seems to be doing well. $1600 shipped and took about 2 hours to put in.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                      For a shop with exposed walls, I would do closed cell. Like someone said above, you need minimum 1.5" but I have read many places say 2" to become a vapor barrier to prevent the sweating issue. If you are going to build walls, I'd do open cell. I just had my building (stick built) done in open cell.

Not sure what you are doing about a/c but MrCool/Pioneer has some very affordable DIY mini split kits. I installed a 2 ton on my shop (2000sqft) and it seems to be doing well. $1600 shipped and took about 2 hours to put in.
                      I am doing a mini split as well. Can you share the information on the specific unit you used? How did you calculate the necessary BTU's for the shop? I keep coming up with 22,000 required for the 900sq feet with the tall walls.

Comment

I could be misinformed, but had always heard the open cell is better for high humidity areas. Any truth to this ?

Comment

My shop builder reduced the price of the shop the amount that it took to spray foam it. My 2000 per foot shop cost $4000 to spray foam 1 inch of closed cell. 2000 square-foot with 18 foot peak gable and 14 foot sidewalls cost me $4000

Comment

hey arrow slinger who built your shop I live in Lindale and am getting bids to build one now

Comment

Originally posted by chrisgunguy View Post
                              I am doing a mini split as well. Can you share the information on the specific unit you used? How did you calculate the necessary BTU's for the shop? I keep coming up with 22,000 required for the 900sq feet with the tall walls.
                              Id use a manual J calculator online for free. You can use this site:
                              Perform online ACCA Approved load calculations in minutes. Supports block load or room-by-room. 100% cloud based, can be accessed anywhere, anytime, from any device.

Its not perfect but fill it out the best you can and you will get a general idea. Tall walls adds a lot of cubic footage.

This is the minisplit I used:
                              http://mrcool.com/mrcool-diy/ I used the 24k btu model
                              Here is a great thread on them on Garage Journal. Many people have bought and installed them now:
                              Pretty sure I am about to pull the trigger on an 18K version of the MRCOOL DIY mini split. I am put off a little by the lack of reviews, and the thing seems too good to be true, but... There aren't any negative reviews, either the things work great and almost no one bothers to post a positive...

Comment

Working...
                              X