No announcement yet.

Need help: Questionable bicep injury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It sounds like you strained the biceps tendon. Home treatment till you see the Dr. is easy. You need RICE.

Rest - pretty self explanatory...use your other arm
    Ice - 20 mins on every 2 hours or so when you can
    Compression - ace wrap or compression sleeve
    Elevation - try to prop your arm up with a pillow above the level of your heart

I'd take ibuprofen (Advil) or naproxen (Aleve) instead of the asprin. They have more of an anti-inflammatory property to them along with pain relief. But you need to take them on a regular basis, even if you think you don't need to, not just before & after bed. Otherwise you lose the anti-inflammatory effect. Follow the directions on the bottle.

Comment

My arm was throbbing so I decided to defrost a package of frozen Oma and Opas Smoked sausages on my forearm whilst cooking supper.
      Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
        Reckon going straight to orthopedic surgeon for best diagnosis?
        makes sense, so probably not possible unless you're paying the full ride w/out insurance.
        Your insurance will probably require a referral from a GP... to GP to someone who can refer you to the ortho.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
          It sounds like you strained the biceps tendon. Home treatment till you see the Dr. is easy. You need RICE.

Rest - pretty self explanatory...use your other arm
          Ice - 20 mins on every 2 hours or so when you can
          Compression - ace wrap or compression sleeve
          Elevation - try to prop your arm up with a pillow above the level of your heart

I'd take ibuprofen (Advil) or naproxen (Aleve) instead of the asprin. They have more of an anti-inflammatory property to them along with pain relief. But you need to take them on a regular basis, even if you think you don't need to, not just before & after bed. Otherwise you lose the anti-inflammatory effect. Follow the directions on the bottle.
          Good to go. Will do. Thank you! Thank you!

Comment

Lots of good advice. Mine tore off the bone at 37. I elected not to have surgery as they gave me a 50/50 it would heal. 13 years later, I can still heave a feed sack into the feeder with that arm, but can't lift anything super heavy. I'm 50 now and do not lift heavy without assistance. Good luck with whatever route you take.

Comment

Thank you Lee.

I didnt get a return call from PCP but they just went ahead and sent referral...Awesome!

Orthos office called me...scheduled tomorrow morning.

God bless! Yall have a great day.

Comment

Had MRI done Monday. Saw Surgeon yesterday. Bicep is still attached but half the tendon is tore off the forearm bone. Im gonna go under the knife on Wednesday and have 3-4 months recovery.

The procedure entails: making an incision on the forearm...sewing string through the unattached tendon...drilling a hole through the forearm bone...pulling the string through the bone...anchoring the string with a titanium button on the backside of the bone. About an hour long procedure

Im figuring, at earliest, I can get back to flinging arrows sometime in October. No killing does east of the Chisholm trail (aka I35) this year.

Comment

That's tough news but at least you now know the extent of the damage and that it can be fixed. Hang in there brother and good luck with the surgery!

Comment

Thanks Jerp.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                      Had MRI done Monday. Saw Surgeon yesterday. Bicep is still attached but half the tendon is tore off the forearm bone. Im gonna go under the knife on Wednesday and have 3-4 months recovery.

The procedure entails: making an incision on the forearm...sewing string through the unattached tendon...drilling a hole through the forearm bone...pulling the string through the bone...anchoring the string with a titanium button on the backside of the bone. About an hour long procedure

Im figuring, at earliest, I can get back to flinging arrows sometime in October. No killing does east of the Chisholm trail (aka I35) this year.
                      Similar to what I had done. except my tendons were complete tears and Bicep compete tear. Two incisions and the rest like you describe. I injured mine on 4th July weekend and was able to draw my bow by Nov.

Comment

[ATTACH]911727[/ATTACH]

Comment

I had both of my Surgeries in early June (injured the first one on Mothers Day 2013, the second Memorial Day weekend 2016, odd that both happened in May). I also have two scars on each arm and my right bicep is still funky looking. My right arm surgery I could not shoot a bow that year at all. With the left arm surgery I was shooting by late October. But not much weight. I dropped down to a 45lb compound that year and killed a doe the last day of early archery, November 12th that year. I was still living in PA at that time.

Everybody heals at different speeds though, so your recovery may be faster or slower. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                            If it is torn, time is of the essence in getting it fixed correctly! The longer you wait, the less chance of it being successfully repaired!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            X 2.

When he says there was a pop pop it sounds like the tendon snapped. The longer the tendon/muscle stays retracted the harder it is to get it stretched out and sown back in place.

Oops.......didn't read all the OP's posts.
                            Last edited by Tbar; 06-15-2018, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X