A Word on Single Bevel Broadheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Word on Single Bevel Broadheads

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
    I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Rick

Next time I'm hunting old grapes I need to take a single bevel head?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Rick I’m usually on board with you but this video proves that a double bevel cuts more efficiently than a single bevel. That knife was cutting so much easier than the single bevel. Or at least it appears that way. I love single bevels so I’m not hating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think the point was the natural rotaional cut. However there is a trade off in bevel angle. The shallower bevel angle makes splitting bone more of a challenge as well.

Comment

David, the broadhead was cutting the grape as easily as the knife. The problem was I could not stop the rotation to keep a thin slice.

So, in the end, it you are looking for a straight cut (no rotation of the blade), then a double bevel is the ticket, but don't ever fool your self into thinking that single bevel wasn't just as sharp, and cutting just as easily.

There's just no way to finesse cut with that rotation, but cut it does.

I kinda like cork screw cutting anyway.

Rick

Comment

I’d like to see one of those broadheads in person. I know I can get my grizzlies hair splitting sharp and I’m sure you can those as well they just look super thick. I bet they rotate well but seems like that would rob a lot of energy. Have you done any ballistic gel comparisons?

Comment

Very helpful when attempting to harvest ballistic jellies. Which of course are much more difficult to harvest, but not as tasty, as grape jellies.

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
                I’d like to see one of those broadheads in person. I know I can get my grizzlies hair splitting sharp and I’m sure you can those as well they just look super thick. I bet they rotate well but seems like that would rob a lot of energy. Have you done any ballistic gel comparisons?

I've done penetration tests with them against several other type heads, both double, and single bevel of the same weight, and on the same arrow.

They actually penetrated better than all.

They are expensive, but they are awesome. About the only way you would ever have to replace one is if you lose it, because you aren't going to break, or wear it out, and they have a lifetime warranty against structural failure.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                  I think the point was the natural rotaional cut. However there is a trade off in bevel angle. The shallower bevel angle makes splitting bone more of a challenge as well.

You can hunt with confidence, knowing that the TUFFHEAD™ single bevel and three blade broadheads. TuffHead has unsurpassed penetration.

Gary: check out #7 "Why single-bevel broadheads?"

Dr. Ashby explains how and why the edge of a single bevel splits bone.

Comment

I want my 4 minutes back.

Comment

Tough crowd 8)

Comment

Some may be missing Rick's point of the video, which -- I believe -- was to show that a thick, single-bevel broadhead can indeed be made razor sharp ("shaving sharp"). To demonstrate that, he compares the clean cutting of a soft grape without tearing the skin or "meat" of the that grape. Obviously, the thin-bladed knife can be made shaving sharp, as it shows.

What is throwing some off the point is the fact that the video demonstrates an unintended major point beyond the broadhead's sharpness aspect, and it does this so dramatically that the sharpness of the blade is almost overshadowed. What the secondary point is is the obvious tendency of the single-bevel blade to push laterally (sideways) against the meat of the grape and try to rotate perpendicular to the line of the cut. This is why a single-bevel broadhead splits bone when shot into an animal. It's not a debate; it's proven fact. See the evidence of the lowly grape. Definitely not a waste of time!
                        Last edited by tradtiger; 05-23-2018, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dasma View Post
                          Tough crowd 8)
                          Naa. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                          Some may be missing Rick's point of the video, which -- I believe -- was to show that a thick, single-bevel broadhead can indeed be made razor sharp ("shaving sharp"). To demonstrate that, he compares the clean cutting of a soft grape without tearing the skin or "meat" of the that grape. Obviously, the thin-bladed knife can be made shaving sharp, as it shows.

What is throwing some off the point is the fact that the video demonstrates an unintended major point beyond the broadhead's sharpness aspect, and it does this so dramatically that the sharpness of the blade is almost overshadowed. What the secondary point is is the obvious tendency of the single-bevel blade to push laterally (sideways) against the meat of the grape and try to rotate perpendicular to the line of the cut. This is why a single-bevel broadhead splits bone when shot into an animal. It's not a debate; it's proven fact. See the evidence of the lowly grape. Definitely not a waste of time!
                          ^^^ THIS^^^

If you've ever tried to slice a mushy grape, especially thin slice it, then you know what it takes to get it done.

Rick

Comment

Dr. Ashbey's conjectures have merit and value. However his stuff is a tough read. That said most of us shooting deer and pigs can get by without spending the money the quality single bevel heads command. That said I don't find them difficult to sharpen.

Comment

Also if we missed the point it's because it wasn't clearly presented. He talked about how hard it was to make a thin straight cut more than pointing out a single bevel could be sharp. Of course they can be sharp.

Comment

Working...
                              X