2 Hip Hop Artists critique Chris Stapleton Tennessee Whiskey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    Am I the only one who's driven nuts by all the "runs" and oversinging?

My wife loves that song...I think he screwed it up, but it's probably just because it was a George Jones tune.

Why is it so odd that two black hip hop critics can enjoy a country cover song though?

Snoop sung with Willy a long time ago, Johnny Cash made a record with a bunch of grunge rock guys, halfed assed fake country white boys from Georgia have been rapping for years now... Music cuts across a lot of lines these days.
    I love Chris Stapleton but I agree that Jones did it better. They should have reviewed Traveler or Might As Well Get Stoned or any of the hits he wrote for other people

Comment

2 Hip Hop Artists critique Chris Stapleton Tennessee Whiskey

My wife loves that song...I think he screwed it up, but it's probably just because it was a George Jones tune.

Why is it so odd that two black hip hop critics can enjoy a country cover song though?

Snoop sung with Willy a long time ago, Johnny Cash made a record with a bunch of grunge rock guys, halfed assed fake country white boys from Georgia have been rapping for years now... Music cuts across a lot of lines these days.

I happen to like the original. Coe

Comment

Pretty cool guys, their reaction to Sepultura’s Territory showed up on my recommendations last week. Scrolling through their videos I saw they do Immortal Technique’s Dance with the Devil. I’d forgotten that one. That is the most disturbing and evil song/rap ever produced.

Comment

You sir, have great taste in back porch builds. Not so much in music

I'm a big fan of Jones myself. I don't even listen to the radio anymore because its all junk. Coming from a music background, I believe Stapleton did this song justice and even more. The man can flat out sing and there aint many that can work those runs like that. Im a big fan of blues and soul.

Comment

Originally posted by super_dave View Post
            i happen to like the original. Coe
            dac!

Comment

Yep, Stapleton killed that song! But he had many others that are equally as good or better that he wrote himself. “Whiskey and You” is one of my favorites. His new song “Millionaire” is great too. The guy is a freaking crazy talent and I’m glad my Nashville music buddy turned me on to Stapleton a few years ago right before he got big mainstream. Very refreshing, soulful, genuine voice...

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I like The DAC version also, but I have to admit I did not know that it came before the possum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I enjoyed that. I also think he and Justin Timberlakes performance of this song at the CMAs is one of the best live performances I have ever watched when it came to talent and chemistry. I had goose bumps watching it on my TV..

Comment

Originally posted by txsteele View Post
                      These two dudes are hip hop artists/fans and analyze music genres other than what they are accustom to and give reactions. For example, Metallica, George Strait, Alanis Morissette, Tom Petty.......etc

Pretty refreshing to watch but they do stop the video to comment through out, but IMO, worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gptsfGD6PeI
                      Two whitest black dudes I've ever heard.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
                        Stapleton is known for his song writing yet his biggest hit is a song he covered. I find that odd.
                        Most of the younger generation does not have a clue Tennessee Whiskey is a remake/cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
                          I enjoyed that. I also think he and Justin Timberlakes performance of this song at the CMAs is one of the best live performances I have ever watched when it came to talent and chemistry. I had goose bumps watching it on my TV..
                          Agree

Comment

Video no worky

Comment

I like The DAC version also, but I have to admit I did not know that it came before the possum.

Coe recorded it back in 1981

For several years, like you, I assumed Mr Jones was the first.

Comment

I really enjoyed that. never heard of those guys before. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Working...
                                X