Tony Romo golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tony Romo golf

Tony Romo gets a sponsor's exemption into the PGA Tour's Corales Puntacana Resort and Club Championship March 22-25.

I love Tony as a professional QB. I took up for him against everybody I knew when they would bad mouth him all those years with the Cowboys, but other than his notoriety, how did he get into a professional tournament. I know he used to be a pretty good golfer but he isn't that good any more.

Most probably don't know that Tony tried to play a warm tournament in the Northern Texas PGA at Bridlewood a couple of weeks ago. Tony shot 81 the first day and shot 38 (+2) the first nine holes the second day then withdrew with a total score of +11 thru 27 holes. My son played in this tournament shooting 70-66 to finish T9th. There are a lot of young professionals without a big name daddy or lots of money that would kill for the opportunity to play in a PGA event. A lot of these guys have the games to play in a PGA event (and make the cut) but will never get the chance. It is so hard for these guys to qualify for PGA events through Monday qualifiers,, not to mention the travel expenses to get there and stay with no guarantees. It is a hard life especially if you don't come from a wealthy background. Without the money, you are regulated to playing in the minor tours waiting for the once a year Web, Latin America, MacKensie etc.. qualifiers. I am still a Tony Romo fan but I just wish this chance would have gone to a more deserving golfer.

Sorry for the rant but this just hits too close to home.
    Enjoy your day!

I don't watch/play golf but as a Cowboys fan, I'd watch a tournament that Romo was playing in. No offense (and with all due respect) but I wouldn't tune in to watch your son play. #Ratings

That is... IF the tourney is even televised.

As a huge baseball fan, I'm not a fan of the rule changes. But if it draws more people to enjoy/appreciate the awesome sport, I'm willing to entertain the idea. That's kinda how I view the situation you're describing.

"There are better golfers than Tony but if he draws viewers, I can dig it" Lol
    Last edited by BlackHogDown; 03-19-2018, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Likely a Public Relations situation. He will draw people to watch it.

Comment

It’s as simple as those young professionals are not going to sell tickets and bring a spotlight to the event like Tony will. We all know he has no chance of winning against professionals, but fans will want to watch him and so will haters.

(Apparently I type too slow)

Comment

Money and golf play hand and hand at all levels, no doubt as you know well. Most the time to even be considered a DI golfer. You have to play all the big money summer tournaments and do well to get looked at. Then it trickles down from there to DII, JC, DIII and NAIA.
          The number of quality young players that CAN PLAY is off the charts. You need a bankroll guy, lucky breaks and a hot putter to hit things just right and then only then you MIGHT make it big. Plenty of young, middle-aged and even older guys out there chasing the dream! Then you throw in all the Internationals and Aye ya ya, its rough!

Comment

We all know Tony got in by his reputation. This thread is not about that or the fact that you don't want to see my son play. It is about the opportunity that someone is not getting that probably deserves that opportunity more than Tony. Nobody is going to fly to the Dominican Republic to watch Tony Romo shot 80. What is the big draw? If it is a tournament in Dallas I can see where he would get more people out to watch the tournament. I feel sorry for the deserving young professionals that just need that chance, doesn't have to be my son either.

BlackHogDown -- I will gladly watch my son shoot -26 in the first stage of the Web.com Q School. Unfortunately for him, He found out his MIL had cancer the day before he started the second stage of the Web.com Q School. He didn't play his best but that is what life throws at you. It is a long wait till next September for him to try again. Like I said it is a hard life for those not handed a silver spoon with the resources to travel all over the country chasing Monday qualifiers. He will just keep practicing every day to get better so that he is ready when and if the opportunity comes.

Comment

golf is a billion dollar industry, unfortunately nobody wants to pay or tune in to see a random golfer but will pay to see tony.., no offense but thats just a fact and the stupid world we live in.

Comment

Tony and your son have the same amount of Super Bowl experience

Comment

Originally posted by HC Sniper View Post
                  We all know Tony got in by his reputation. This thread is not about that or the fact that you don't want to see my son play. It is about the opportunity that someone is not getting that probably deserves that opportunity more than Tony. Nobody is going to fly to the Dominican Republic to watch Tony Romo shot 80. What is the big draw? If it is a tournament in Dallas I can see where he would get more people out to watch the tournament. I feel sorry for the deserving young professionals that just need that chance, doesn't have to be my son either.

BlackHogDown -- I will gladly watch my son shoot -26 in the first stage of the Web.com Q School. Unfortunately for him, He found out his MIL had cancer the day before he started the second stage of the Web.com Q School. He didn't play his best but that is what life throws at you. It is a long wait till next September for him to try again. Like I said it is a hard life for those not handed a silver spoon with the resources to travel all over the country chasing Monday qualifiers. He will just keep practicing every day to get better so that he is ready when and if the opportunity comes.
                  How else can one say "no offense" or "with all due respect?" If you want to rant solely for the sake of ranting and don't want to hear anybody that has something to say, lead off with that. Reading the other responses, it doesn't seem that my logic was all that unreasonable.

That said... I am sincerely sorry to hear about his MIL. I acknowledged the fact that I'm not even sure if the tournament was televised. Since it is not, my point is invalid... admittedly (I thought that was clear in my first post). I genuinely wish your son the best of luck in the future.
                  Last edited by BlackHogDown; 03-19-2018, 01:16 PM.

Comment

BlackHogDown -- Didn't mean for my response to be offensive or harsh. I apologize if I came off that way. Truly sorry and didn't mean to come across as an AH.

I have just watched these young men struggle for so long that I wish they could get the opportunity that their talent deserves, not just my own son (at -26 he was second). I have always been against someone getting privileges that are not earned. It just takes another chance away from the deserving. I guess the main rant is over Tony getting this exemption in the Dominican Republic instead of in Dallas (still underserved). Dallas would get a boost in attendance but that isn't going to happen in the Dominican.

I just stated my son situation to show how hard and unforgiving that life is for some if not most of these young men. If I could win the lottery I would personally sponsor several of these young men that I have gotten to know through my son. They deserve the opportunity to follow their dreams.

Comment

No worries HC.

Comment

I don’t think it’s fair for them to give him an exemption when he didn’t earn it. I agree with the op with the fact that it could have been better used elsewhere.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Tony golfs about as good as he played football. Mediocre at best

Comment

This is a first year tournament held the same week as the WGC Match Play in Austin, where all of the top players are playing. The sponsor of the tournament used their exemption to bring in someone that will bring a lot of needed attention to a tournament that would otherwise have no buzz. This event is pretty much on the bottom rung as far as PGA tournaments go. I don't see a problem with it and I can't stand Romo. Just the way the world works these days. He carries a plus handicap, it's not like we've got a 5er out there hacking away. As far as I'm aware, the guys you're speaking of can still get in through a Monday qualifier to make the trip if they have the game.

Comment

Originally posted by raw10628 View Post
                              This is a first year tournament held the same week as the WGC Match Play in Austin, where all of the top players are playing. The sponsor of the tournament used their exemption to bring in someone that will bring a lot of needed attention to a tournament that would otherwise have no buzz. This event is pretty much on the bottom rung as far as PGA tournaments go. I don't see a problem with it and I can't stand Romo. Just the way the world works these days. He carries a plus handicap, it's not like we've got a 5er out there hacking away. As far as I'm aware, the guys you're speaking of can still get in through a Monday qualifier to make the trip if they have the game.
                              ^This. The WGC is taking the main draw so they are just trying to find a way to get some attention to the other event. As far as young players not getting an opportunity, that is false. They have qualifiers for the PGA and Web.com tournaments. If the player is good enough, they can 4 spot an event. Most of the guys that make it on the tours are the guys who want it the most. Some have money to back them and others not so much. The bottom line is if they have the talent and the desire they will make it. I think Patrick Reed Monday qualified 6 times for pga tour events which is insane but it just shows you how good he was and is. There are plenty of golfers with plus 2-3 hadicaps that could compete with the pga pros any given week but the ones that want it more are the ones that make it.

Comment

Working...
                              X