Best Hog Trap Gate/Trigger Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Hog Trap Gate/Trigger Ideas

I am going to build a few round pens for hog traps and wanted to pick yalls brains on what you use or have had success with as the best gate/trigger system. Open to all ideas and feel free to post pictures if you have them. TIA

Check out the "Will it work ?" thread on this subforum. Pics of my trigger that I'm trying out.

Comment

I like saloon doors with a hinge stick.

Comment

Yea I checked that out. The tire idea is really pretty simple. With the mail being rusty will it slide out fairly simple or does it catch up?

Saloon doors is one thing I have been looking at. I have just real a lot about continuous trap doors not working very good.

Comment

I would 100% without a doubt do a drop down door. I am just not sure what is the best way to do a trigger for it.

What I have had good luck with is hammering a piece of rebar in the back and typing wire on the door and tying a washer on the end. Set the washer barely on the rebar and pile up corn around it. The wire has to be strong enough to hold the weight of the door up

Comment

Originally posted by Apodz View Post
            Yea I checked that out. The tire idea is really pretty simple. With the mail being rusty will it slide out fairly simple or does it catch up?

Saloon doors is one thing I have been looking at. I have just real a lot about continuous trap doors not working very good.
            After I set the trigger I kicked the tire real lightly and down it came, so I think a decent sized hog will trip it. Trigger has to be coon proof.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              After I set the trigger I kicked the tire real lightly and down it came, so I think a decent sized hog will trip it. Trigger has to be coon proof.
              Can you take good pics of this please?

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                This is what I do. It is called the falling tire trap. Coons will not trip it, neither will deer.

HOWEVER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Birds landing on the trip wire can trip it........got game camera pics of this. Dang Crows,

Comment

All good ideas. I will look into them. I have access to an unlimited supply of any wood I want aomim prob going to build a falling door out of that. Then I’ll prob try a few different things until I find the right trip that works best.

Comment

Hogs will climb out of a 4 ft tall, 25 ft round trap. I saw it with my own eyes this morning. Better build it pretty tall.

Comment

Think this one is 8' Diameter. 6 pigs last night ranging from 80-110 pounds.

6 ft tall with another 10" rail angled in.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Yea I like the set up but that’s too small for what I’m wanting. I have way too many hogs for that small of a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                          Think this one is 8' Diameter. 6 pigs last night ranging from 80-110 pounds.

6 ft tall with another 10" rail angled in.
                          Overkill to me. 5 foot is plenty tall and coulda saved that extra money to make it bigger.

Not hating....just stating my opinions or how you could improve it.

They don't have any room to run to jump and with 6 foot tall they have no chance so no need to add top angle

Comment

Rebar holding double saloon door open with rope attached to it and thenconnected to eyebolt screwed into a 30 pound record rack deer block in back of pen. They nudge the block eventually.

Comment

Check this out. Trap door is still for sale.

Comment

Working...
                              X