Shooting tripod/shooting sticks, etc for Elk hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting tripod/shooting sticks, etc for Elk hunt

1st Elk hunt coming up in November, just dawned on me it's doubtful I'll get to shoot prone so thinking some sort of sticks or shooting tripod is in order. Any thoughts or recommendations or better ideas from those with experience?

Primos Trigger Sticks is what I'd go with. Not too heavy and adjust levels quickly and easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I looked them up, definitely like that it doesn't physically attach to the rifle. That way I can simply prop up against a tree or shoot from a knee if needed and I'm not stuck with using the stick only.

Comment

I brought lightweight bags to rest the gun on as well as a tripod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have used shooting sticks in Africa and they work great. Get you some and practice on them until you are comfortable shooting off of them. Start with a 22 and work your way up to the rifle you are going to be hunting with.

Comment

I have the gen 2 trigger sticks. Get the gen 3. My only complaint is how the top can move side to side. They fixed that one the gen 3. I shot out to 250 standing the other day. I've never cared for shooting off sticks much.

Comment

Get the simplest system you can find.
              I suggest Bog Pod bipod. I've used one for years hunting spot and stalk for pigs. Make sure you set the height of the legs then go hunting. I set people up to shoot from their knees. Not standing. Finally, put the bipod UNDER THE SCOPE, where the gun wants to balance. Not on the barrel which makes the gun rear end heavy.
              Whack them man. I am headed up first week of November to help a buddy with a 14 Prefernce point 3rd season mulie tag.

Comment

I have a Bog Pod Tripod for my son and it works really well. Never used the Primos so not sure which is better.

Comment

I use a tripod bog pod. We have killed several animals using them.

Comment

Kopfjager is committed to strengthening the accuracy of precision riflemen while reducing fatigue with its top-tier shooting rests, tripods and other fire-assistive products.

Just ****** all around

Comment

Originally posted by RanchFairy View Post
                      Get the simplest system you can find.
                      I suggest Bog Pod bipod. I've used one for years hunting spot and stalk for pigs. Make sure you set the height of the legs then go hunting. I set people up to shoot from their knees. Not standing. Finally, put the bipod UNDER THE SCOPE, where the gun wants to balance. Not on the barrel which makes the gun rear end heavy.
                      Whack them man. I am headed up first week of November to help a buddy with a 14 Prefernce point 3rd season mulie tag.
                      Not to mention rest on the barrel will severely change POI.

Same spot as a bipod works best for me. I usually put it right behind my bipod. In front of the optic.

Comment

Originally posted by F0WL_LIF3 View Post
                        I use those extensively and know the guys that make them personally. Amazing product. However, no way I'd carry it on an elk hunt. Way to heavy and bulky. Trigger sticks are where it's at as far as lightweight goes.

Comment

Thanks guys, looks like I was on the right track as I've been eyeballing the Trigger Gen 3 and the Bog Pod.

Comment

I don't know what generation Trigger I have, but one of the legs does not hold tight very well. The leg sides back in the tube and the top moves down toward the ground. There are just too many failure points in the Trigger system for me. I prefer the Bog hands down. I have also used three bamboo stick tied together with a bungee, and that worked fine. Simple is better.

Comment

Working...
                            X