That “Smell “

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That “Smell “

I had to go by my mechanics shop the other morning. When I stepped out of the truck, a smell hit me ... one that I hadn’t encountered in a long time.
    My dad and uncle once owned a garage. They worked on all types of vehicles and did wreaker service also.
    That morning, the smell of antifreeze, oil, oily rags and such slammed me in the face. I hadn’t smelled that since my dads garage. It brought a tear to my eye and I had to stop and gather myself. I lost dad in ‘96 and my uncle a few years later. I sure miss them.
    Anyone else ever run into something that bring back good memories ??

Daily. Mainly kids who call out to their dad.

Comment

Nothing brings back a memory quicker than a smell. I'm glad you were able to experience that.

Comment

lost my dad in 1974 he was a milkman everytime I open the milk cooler at the grocery store it smells just like the back of his old milk truck did when I road with him as a kid. brings it back for sure !

Comment

That fresh "salty air" smell when I go to the coast. My Dad used to love going down to Texas City and doing some flounder fishing. Even when we go down to visit friends that smell make me think of him.

Comment

The smell of fresh cut wheat fields that have just been harvested with a combine.

There is nothing I like better than that clean, fresh smell of rain and recent cut hay fields after a summer shower washes the air. It sends me back in time.

Comment

I lost my dad suddenly from heart attack also in 96. Worst day ever. Seen my uncle last weekend who reminds me so much of him. Something usually reminds me of him every day.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Cracking open a box of old Winchester Super-X shotgun shells. Something about that cardboard takes me back to hunting with my grandpa as a kid back in the 80s.

Comment

My Pawpaw smoked a pipe. Sometimes I will smell one that takes me back to when I was a kid

Comment

Originally posted by smokeless View Post
                    I had to go by my mechanics shop the other morning. When I stepped out of the truck, a smell hit me ... one that I hadn’t encountered in a long time.
                    My dad and uncle once owned a garage. They worked on all types of vehicles and did wreaker service also.
                    That morning, the smell of antifreeze, oil, oily rags and such slammed me in the face. I hadn’t smelled that since my dads garage. It brought a tear to my eye and I had to stop and gather myself. I lost dad in ‘96 and my uncle a few years later. I sure miss them.
                    Anyone else ever run into something that bring back good memories ??
                    My dad has been a cadillac mechanic for at least 38 years and his uniform always smelled like the shop. On weekends he would work on side jobs in the garage at the house and I would help by getting tools or a cold beer. I know the smell you are talking about VERY well.

Comment

The smell of a 2 stroke outboard. I always go straight back to running trap lines in SW La as a 10 year old with my uncle.
                      Last edited by saintsfan; 03-30-2018, 08:50 PM. Reason: Sp

Comment

I definitely can relate. I have had some smells that I know I recognize but can’t think from where.

Comment

Burning trash takes me back.. Reminds me of my grandparents that I was very close to.. They didn't have much if any money but they taught me many valuable life lessons.. I practically lived with my grandparents in the 60's and 70's and my job was to burn the household trash in the burn barrels.. Every now in then I'll smell trash burning and the flow of memories begin...
                          Last edited by PondPopper; 03-30-2018, 08:58 PM.

Comment

The property owners of my deer lease have a shop that has a heavy oil and grease smell. It takes me back to my Granddad's shop every time i walk in there. Funny how smells can do that to you.

Comment

I have a old Filson upland hunting coat my dad probably bought around 1970. It holds smells that take me back. It still smells like spent shotgun shells and the vague musty scent of quail. Brings back deeply meaningful memories
                              Last edited by jerp; 03-30-2018, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X