Hog Pipe Instructions???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog Pipe Instructions???

Anybody have them from the old TBH??? I would like to make one that will hold 50 lbs since I don't get to East Texas very much. Thanks in advance guys.

Do these really work? They don't get clogged up w/ mud? I may need to put one of thes out at my Sheridan lease.

Comment

Good thought Dan! Heck, I gotta come up with something different.

Comment

I built a couple that hold about 50 # of corn. haven't been clogged with mud yet. once the hogs found it they'd empty it in a night, I drilled apporx 24 holes in it...I was thinking that was nowhere near enough...

Endcap with 3/8" eyebolt
        Click image for larger version

Name:	ragepig2small.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	24721588

Endcap with 3/8" eyebolt (inside view) Other end has a cleanout screw in cap.

Name:	th_LDPHog9.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	23821158

Helpers drilling holes

Name:	ragepig3small.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	24721590

Helpers drilling holes 2

Name:	JPEG 1.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	23821159

Finished pipe (5' long) used a 5/16" chain and attached to eye bolt with a quick coupling. Chain is approx 5' and attached to a regular pet anchor ground screw.

Name:	ragepig1small.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	24721589

Comment

How big were the holes you drilled? That looks like a 1/2" bit. 2 hog pipes are on my "to-build" list for this spring.

those look great, btw.

Comment

I believe we used a 1/2" bit.... didn't take them long to find it...

Comment

I put a bell on the chain of mine, so you will know when they are pushin it around.

I think I drilled 1/2" holes in mine.
              Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
              l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
              ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

My two cents,
                I like the pvc pipes but a more cost effective alternative is the 10 foot black-flex drainage type. One pipe $4.50 and four 6 inch band (radiator type) clamps $2.25 each = $13.50 pre-corn. Pop some holes in one end and zip tie it shut. I use a 3/4 bit but drill only approx. 4-6 per 10 foot piece placed on 45 degrees from each other about a 1.5 feet apart.
                Put two clamps together (now 12 inch) anchor to a tree with about 4-5 feet being vertical fill the pipe, bouncing the corn down. Slap the other clamp on and you're done. Although recently I cut a 3 inch by 3 inch square near the bottom of the pipe - you can drop in jello or your favorite attractant. Easy and cheap to replace. Holds 1 to 2 bags of corn, just make sure a squirrel isn't in there when filling, or extra pants might be required.

Comment

Originally posted by florissant View Post
                  My two cents,
                  I like the pvc pipes but a more cost effective alternative is the 10 foot black-flex drainage type. One pipe $4.50 and four 6 inch band (radiator type) clamps $2.25 each = $13.50 pre-corn. Pop some holes in one end and zip tie it shut. I use a 3/4 bit but drill only approx. 4-6 per 10 foot piece placed on 45 degrees from each other about a 1.5 feet apart.
                  Put two clamps together (now 12 inch) anchor to a tree with about 4-5 feet being vertical fill the pipe, bouncing the corn down. Slap the other clamp on and you're done. Although recently I cut a 3 inch by 3 inch square near the bottom of the pipe - you can drop in jello or your favorite attractant. Easy and cheap to replace. Holds 1 to 2 bags of corn, just make sure a squirrel isn't in there when filling, or extra pants might be required.
                  any pictures of this setup? i'm having a hard time visualizing where all these clamps and holes go. Is it hard to fill up? How durable is it?

Comment

Both setups work well, but 24 holes is way too many. Remember, the piggies are gluttons and 6-8 holes works a lot better (cheaper).

Comment

I would agree with eradicator. We started with 12 holes. By the end of the season, we were down to 1 hole. We taped up the rest with duct tape. If we didnt, they could empty out in one or two nights. We went with 3/8" holes.

Comment

Originally posted by innergel View Post
                        any pictures of this setup? i'm having a hard time visualizing where all these clamps and holes go. Is it hard to fill up? How durable is it?
                        You guys ROCK!!!
                        I agree with the statement above but it does sound viable but a little to deep to visualize!

On the pics above how do you keep the ends on? I don't see any threads? Thanks for the response it is awesome to see the boys involved.
                        Man, the number of holes is definitely gonna be KEY for me since I only go up to Smith County once per month or so.
                        Hey Dan, you wanna start working on these this week? I will pay for the supplies but I totally suck when making stuff!

Comment

a few of mine. Way too many holes. It's been in this same location for over 3 years

Comment

They look great. We used to fill 2 liter pop bottles and drop them around the water holes and feeders. The deer even got into kicking the corn out of them.

Comment

Buzzbait,

That looks like a good place to whack some porkers. What kind of fitting do you use to keep your endcaps on?

Comment

Working...
                              X