• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar Feeder Hog Lights?

Anyone got any DIY plans?

Thanks,

Zack

Yeah come on... would like to see some as well... I have heard of folks just bolting on regular solar yard lights to their barrels.

Comment

I've given out plans in the past and have been promised a hog hunt or two...and in 3 years I haven't gone once.

I'll dig around and see if I can find my plans again.

Comment

Hog lights

I have the $39.00 kit that comes from Home Depot or Lowe's. I mounted it on a 3'' PVC pipe thats about 10' tall. I ran the wires on the inside of the pipe to keep the animals off of it. I liked this method because it allows me to slide the pipe over a tpost and change locations. Meaning 3 feeder locations one set of lights. It can be seen behind the feeder. The thing runs on 3AA rechargeable batteries. If I plan on spending the entire night I put in a fresh set of batteries other wise the normal ones get a little dim after 4 hours. If it was in the clear cut it might last longer on the rechargeable. They will light up about a 20 yard circle around the feeder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	deerjaw1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	24720698
        Last edited by OPC Patrick; 02-02-2007, 01:43 PM.

Comment

I use the same setup as mentioned above, but I put mine inside an old ammo case.

Comment

Patrick,is your setup motion sencered?

Comment

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
              I use the same setup as mentioned above, but I put mine inside an old ammo case.
              stxhunter, please explain...what do you put inside an ammo case?

Comment

wonder if you could run this off a 6volt recharable feeder battery?

Comment

The solar powered lights from Home Depot (about $45) work great! I just zip tied them to the legs of my feeder. Make sure to have them pointed away from your blind so they don't shine in your eyes......

Comment

Thanks for the pics, Gold...what's the pie pan for?

Comment

I was wondering the same thing about the pie pan.

Comment

Those lights will work fine, the biggest drawback is the small solar panel. They need an all day direct sun light to last any length of time. But they do work.

Comment

I didnt put anything inside the ammo can, i just bolted the lights to it. This way the unit is portable and I can use bungee cords to secure it to a tree, post or whatever is near the area I am going to hunt.

Comment

Okay, stxhunter...I like that idea.

Comment

Beraldel and Graybow,

You've heard of the "dinner bell"? Well, the pie pan is just that. I have it lined up so that when my feeder throws the corn hits it! You can hear it from a long way off. I don't know if it helps, but it hasn't seemed to hurt....

Comment

Working...
                              X