Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 12-22-2017, 11:09 AM   #1
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin Co
Default School me on breaking in a new rifle

We bought the kids a Savage Axis XP in .243 . What's the correct way to break it in?
Already got the kit to fix the stiff trigger pull.
Also it has a Weaver 3X9 scope on it. How's good or bad is the scope? They'll be hunting hog and deer in East TX. Probably keep the shots to 50-75 yards until they get more trigger time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
BigThicketBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 11:10 AM   #2
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

Clean it, shoot it, repeat.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 11:10 AM   #3
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Clean it, then shoot it.
oktx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 11:13 AM   #4
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I hope y'all bust a few of them with that gun. I will start hunting them hard as soon as deer season is over. Let me know how you like the trigger job.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 11:13 AM   #5
6.5 shooter
Eight Point

https://savagearms.zendesk.com/hc/en...-in-procedure-
6.5 shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 12:23 PM   #6
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
We bought the kids a Savage Axis XP in .243 . What's the correct way to break it in?
Already got the kit to fix the stiff trigger pull.
Also it has a Weaver 3X9 scope on it. How's good or bad is the scope? They'll be hunting hog and deer in East TX. Probably keep the shots to 50-75 yards until they get more trigger time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Just shoot it. The break in method of multiple shots and cleanings is designed to wear your barrel and reduce your barrel life. During the cleaning process you could also damage the rifling or crown.
Just shoot it, enjoy it, clean it with a Teflon based lube and then run a dry patches through the barrel till it is dry. Use a OTIS cleaner to ensure no rifling, lans or crown damage.

Last edited by lovemylegacy; 12-22-2017 at 12:34 PM.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 12:40 PM   #7
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

From savage web site
https://savagearms.zendesk.com/hc/en...-in-procedure-

^^^^^ I agree , I sighted mine in about 20 shots, cleaned, picked best group ammunition, dialed in
, hunted ^^^^^

Last edited by pilar; 12-22-2017 at 12:47 PM.
pilar is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 12:47 PM   #8
bmc09
Eight Point

Hunt In: Looking for a lease

clean the junk they put on it before packing it up.
Go shoot and clean when you are done.

My father in law got a savage combo with the weaver scope. his had trouble staying zero'd. might just have been a defect on the one he had...who knows. have fun putting it through its paces to find out.
bmc09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #9
pure lefty
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County and wherever

Clean, then One clean two clean etc, up to 5 and clean. You would be surprised how much shavings and stuff are in barrels
pure lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 01:09 PM   #10
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Pull the bolt out and clean it from the reciever end. They make guides that slip in where your bolt goes to prevent damage and undue crap falling into the "works". Some cleaning rods (mine) have a guide on them so you can clean from the muzzle without hurting the crown. I personally think you would have to really try hard to damage the crown with a good cleaning rod, but the notion persists. Worse damage can occur from resting the muzzle on a dirty floorboard in your truck.

As for break-in, just shoot it like they said. Try not to get the barrel too hot, and periodically clean out the copper fowling if you want to maintain your accuracy.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 01:10 PM   #11
Carpe_diem
Ten Point

Hunt In: Taylor, Fisher, Jones Counties and TPW draw hunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
I had no idea the break-in process for a new rifle was so laborious, time intensive and potentially expensive. Wow.
Carpe_diem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 01:11 PM   #12
krisw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cass County

I clean them initially, then start shooting. When the groups start being affected, I clean it again. Like drycreek mentioned, try to keep it from getting too hot.
krisw is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 01:14 PM   #13
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe_diem View Post
I had no idea the break-in process for a new rifle was so laborious, time intensive and potentially expensive. Wow.
....and un-necessary
Old 12-22-2017, 01:19 PM   #14
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX

Quote:
I do a shorter version of this, but I rarely use a brush.

clean
1 shot and clean for 5x
3 shots and clean ...how many time based on how long it takes to get a clean patch, but average 3X
5 shots and clean 2-4x depends on group size. When it starts shooting good groups, I clean shoot 5 more, clean, shot once. done
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 01:51 PM   #15
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
I do a shorter version of this, but I rarely use a brush.

clean
1 shot and clean for 5x
3 shots and clean ...how many time based on how long it takes to get a clean patch, but average 3X
5 shots and clean 2-4x depends on group size. When it starts shooting good groups, I clean shoot 5 more, clean, shot once. done
Years ago I did a study on this and there must be 20 different ways to "break in" a barrel. There is one cleaning method using lapping compound....really? I tried the 20 shot method on a couple of rifles vs a no cleaning method. All the rifles shoot just fine, tack drivers. So I quit using the 20 shot method. I now just initially clean the barrel, shoot, cool, shoot, cool, lube the barrel and dry patch it.

The one thing I noticed, the more I shot the rifles, the tighter the groups got. In my opinion, you need some copper fouling to increase accuracy. When the bullet is running on a thin layer of copper is less friction than on a steel barrel. Now this is just my unprofessional opinion.

Its all an imperfect science, but a heck of a conversation subject
Old 12-22-2017, 02:08 PM   #16
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
Years ago I did a study on this and there must be 20 different ways to "break in" a barrel. There is one cleaning method using lapping compound....really? I tried the 20 shot method on a couple of rifles vs a no cleaning method. All the rifles shoot just fine, tack drivers. So I quit using the 20 shot method. I now just initially clean the barrel, shoot, cool, shoot, cool, lube the barrel and dry patch it.

The one thing I noticed, the more I shot the rifles, the tighter the groups got. In my opinion, you need some copper fouling to increase accuracy. When the bullet is running on a thin layer of copper is less friction than on a steel barrel. Now this is just my unprofessional opinion.

A lot of guys that know more about rifles than I do believe your theory about a little copper fouling being a good thing, so there must be something to it. I believe most of us would be a little surprised to look at the average new rifle bore through the "eyes" of a bore-scope. Some of them look rougher than used barb wire. A little copper "plating" mught improve them
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #17
BULL21
Eight Point

Hunt In: Robert Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
A lot of guys that know more about rifles than I do believe your theory about a little copper fouling being a good thing, so there must be something to it. I believe most of us would be a little surprised to look at the average new rifle bore through the "eyes" of a bore-scope. Some of them look rougher than used barb wire. A little copper "plating" mught improve them
All barrels have imperfections in them. As copper passes down the barrel it fills in the imperfections(like filling a pothole). When all the copper has been cleaned out, it has to be replaced to improve accuracy. Thus the reason n for fouling shots before shooting.
BULL21 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 03:14 PM   #18
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke, Denton

Shilen told me break in was pointless and only caused unnecessary wear on the barrel when they built my rifle.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 03:17 PM   #19
BrianL
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post

Almost every new gun I have bought, started shooting better groups around 30 shots in. I don't think there is much difference in shooting 20 and cleaning then start testing your shot group, but cleanup on 20 rounds through a new gun would take FOREVER without using a brush. I just don't like using a brush unless I have to, so it is much easier to shoot a few and clean, then repeat.

I use the sighting in process for breakin.

Last edited by BrianL; 12-22-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:22 PM   #20
BrianL
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
Shilen told me break in was pointless and only caused unnecessary wear on the barrel when they built my rifle.
A LOT of difference between a Shilen barrel, and a factory Savage Axis barrel.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:22 PM   #21
Chasing_bone
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

I’m with the other guys. Shoot it and sight it in. However I don’t use rods any longer. I only use the bore snakes.
Chasing_bone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 03:27 PM   #22
BJ DUPLECHAIN
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wood Co

Quote:
Lol
BJ DUPLECHAIN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 04:30 PM   #23
Dave

Quote:
True, but break in is the same. Unless you are at the point in your shooting that you can tell when you start to loose .25in of accuracy as you near 3000 shots then the break in process isn't necessary.
Dave is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 04:38 PM   #24
grizzman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas and Arkansas

Quote:
I did this with a rifle one time. It still didn't shoot any better than the other rifles that I had that I had just cleaned, took to the range, shot three- three round groups, and cleaned again.

My BIL swore by the final finish bullets for break in but his rifles didn't group any better than mine.
grizzman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 04:52 PM   #25
BrianL
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
True, but break in is the same. Unless you are at the point in your shooting that you can tell when you start to loose .25in of accuracy as you near 3000 shots then the break in process isn't necessary.
To me, it's not as much about accuracy, as it is about ease of cleaning. I have done it both ways, and no way to really tell if one way would have made it more accurate than another because every gun is different. What I can tell you, cleaning a new gun that has been shot 20-30 without cleaning is MUCH harder to clean, than cleaning a barrel little as you go.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:24 PM   #26
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Biggest issue is many will read that clean & shoot method, not have a GOOD bore guide & cause way more damage to the bore than just taking it out and shooting the snot out of it.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 06:59 PM   #27
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe_diem View Post

Only on rifles with mediocre or less machining processes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 08:44 PM   #28
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Biggest issue is many will read that clean & shoot method, not have a GOOD bore guide & cause way more damage to the bore than just taking it out and shooting the snot out of it.

I have been reading this. What's a good bore guide?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 04:10 PM   #29
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Almost every new gun I have bought, started shooting better groups around 30 shots in. I don't think there is much difference in shooting 20 and cleaning then start testing your shot group, but cleanup on 20 rounds through a new gun would take FOREVER without using a brush. I just don't like using a brush unless I have to, so it is much easier to shoot a few and clean, then repeat.

I use the sighting in process for breakin.
It took me right at 6 hours, but I was breaking in more than one
Old 12-23-2017, 04:12 PM   #30
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
Absolute truth.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:48 PM   #31
rudeman
Ten Point

I take my savages out of the box run a dry patch, zero it in and shoot then snot out of them then clean them after deer season maybe, if I'm not hog hunting with them. I too have Savage Axis XP2 in 223, 22-250 and 308 and those are some of the best shooting rifles out of the box. I'm done to just a handful of Remingtons but have several savage rifles. By the way, i hate cleaning guns. Pappabear and nozzlenut and several other guys here know how my rifles shoot.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
rudeman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 04:51 PM   #32
kruppa24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Concho

Chut it
kruppa24 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 04:56 PM   #33
saltwater
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardeman county. Quanah

Try this, I would break in a mass produced rifle, it’s not only to improve accuracy, but supposedly helps with cleaning down the line. I’ve done this procedure a few times, and groups do seem to improve around 30 shots!! Good luck. https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn...aspx?lid=13001
saltwater is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 07:00 PM   #34
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

As the 'smith that rebarreled one of mine told me, "Go out and kill something with it."
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 09:19 PM   #35
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
I have been reading this. What's a good bore guide?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I used the Lucas back in my scrubbing days...I think Sinclair makes some good ones too.

I have gone to the foaming bore cleaners & use the weed-whacker string pull through method...the stuff is great!!
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2017, 01:05 AM   #36
Maddox
Ten Point

I don't even clean them anymore. Take it out and shoot it. The first two-three bullets will get the crap your trying to "clean" out of the barrel.

After shooting them, I just run a boresnake with a small spray of CLP through it 5 times. I don't run a brush unless I think the barrel is dirty enough to show problems with my grouping.

I have 5 new guns Ill be sighting next week. I'll save the groups and post the results.
Maddox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top