The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the email

Thanks for the email John, Your information is on its way.

Yours in conservation, Robert Smith, N. Ky. Chapter #481 Quail Unlimited
    thekysportsman@hughes.net

Originally posted by Oletrapper View Post
    I would like to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. We here in Kentucky have lots to be thankful for. Many thanks to those who have helped our QU Chapter make our Bull Elk Tag raffle a great success. To all the states which helped make our herd what it is today. Over 12,000 and growing. We have come a long way since 1997. Many thanks to all.

Yours in conservation, Robert Smith, N. Ky. Chapter #481 Quail Unlimited
    thekysportsman@hughes.net

PS: There are still tickets available but you need to hurry. Please email me to reserve.

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
      Not sure why I said "draw". Wasn't sure how they determined where you hunted and wasn't aware that you could pick. Thanks for the info.
      I'm no expert, but if you go to the Colorado website they have a big map of all the OTC vs limited draw units. LOTS of country to hunt with those general tags, can buy cow or either sex tags, with either sex being more expensive.

If you are starting from scratch on areas, first think about what kind of hunting you would best enjoy. Stay at a hotel, haul a camper, spike camping, four wheelers, or bivy style hunting??? Once you figure that out and what kind of shape you are in then you can decide what kind of country you want to hunt.

Lots of BIG elk killed on OTC units every year, both in high country wilderness units and low land sage country. Just depends on what you envision when you think of elk hunting. Decide what you would like to do and then maybe we can help you with some unit suggestions.

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Sitting here going thru all the sales and thought I would post a gear list for a Sept Backcountry Elk Hunt. Winter means picking up gear at incredible discounts. Don't wait til next summer to buy your gear as you will pay retail or close to it.

1. High Quality Gortex boots. I have 4 pair but my favorite is the Lowa Tibet...Got mine for just a hair over $200 from Shoebuy.com. Wait for a 25% off and new purchases get an additional 10%. Kenetrek, Asolo are some others.
          2. Socks- Good boots are nothing without good merino wool socks. I also use a liner sock. The trick to avoid blisters is to wick the sweat from your skin.
          3. Clothes...I got Sitka Ascent pants and Core Zip-Ts last year off camofire.com for half off. Russell and Core 4 are good as well!
          4. Vest- I got a vest a couple years ago and it is one of my favorite garments. It's great in the mornings and when you stop. It keeps your core warm without the extra bulk and weight of a jacket. I use a Sitka Celsius.
          5. Tent- High quality 3 season 2-person with weight around 4-5 pounds with the ground mat. For you tall guys watch out on length. I am 6'4" and the regular tents were too short. What happens is either you feet or head touch the sides and soak up the condensation and you sleeping bag gets wet. I got a Sierra Designs Vapor light 2 XL which is 93" long.
          6. Sleep System- High quality bag and pad. I use synthetic bags because I am afraid of down getting wet and loosing it's insulation properties. Down is lighter and packs smaller though. I use the Big Agnes system which integrates the pad and bag. try to keep your system under 5 pounds if possible.
          7. Pack- For extended length hunts (5+ days)you need about a 4500 cu inch bag. You also need to make sure your pack can handle enough weight to haul Elk meat out as well. Badlands, Eberlestock, Mystery Ranch, Kuiu, and Kifaru are some top hunt pack manufacturers. Also don't overlook real hiking packs like Gregory. Packs are a great thing to find in classifieds so check them.
          8. Rain Gear- Most hunts considered here will just encounter brief showers so I don't feel the ultra high end stuff is worth the cost to me now. I use Marmot Precip which does very good. No it's not camo but trust me the Elk don't care. Sitka Stormfront and Kuiu Chugah are the best. Cabelas makes very good stuff as well. You want breathable stuff as pvc stuff will get you almost as wet from sweat while moving. Light and packable is what you should be going for.
          9- Cook System- All I have ever used is a Jetboil type stove. I like it a lot.

Also note that if you are thinking of getting a new bow and skimping on the above gear I would seriously reconsider!

Hope others chime in on stuff I missed.

Comment

Well done Dr Thornton!!! Great info here guys, make your wish list off of his suggestions! I too have found the vest to be about the most versatile piece of clothing ever for backpack hunting. Really good while you are humping up the hills as well.

What kind of optics does everyone use??? Brand, magnification, etc and WHY you use your set up.

PS Shoebuy is golden on boots, great info!

Comment

So my main question is this: what about us first timers that have no one crazy enough or no one with experience to go with us? Am I doomed to an outfitter?

I want this hunt bad. Should I start with an easier species to get familiar with the area?

Lastly, I'm a teacher, and trying to get time off during the beginning of the year, specifically September, is difficult. Are there any other options as far as times of the season to hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by marshrat View Post
                So my main question is this: what about us first timers that have no one crazy enough or no one with experience to go with us? Am I doomed to an outfitter?

I want this hunt bad. Should I start with an easier species to get familiar with the area?

Lastly, I'm a teacher, and trying to get time off during the beginning of the year, specifically September, is difficult. Are there any other options as far as times of the season to hunt?
                Heck NO!!! IF you really want to hunt elk, you will. How do you want to hunt? Weapon? Terrain?

I would suggest a southern Colorado hunt, just because it would allow you to spend less time traveling. Don't worry about the perfect unit or the perfect time, just go...you will be hooked.

I know that in Colorado you have to draw a deer tag, but if you check the books, you can find a unit with better chances of getting drawn. An August mule deer hunt would help you learn a unit for sure.

Shoot me a PM and I will see if I can help. I'm no expert though.

Comment

2012 Colorado OTC archery season starts August 25th, is that too late?

Comment

Good point on optics TWP. After I wrote my last post I thought I should have added an optics bullet as well. I use a brand called Theron Optics. In my opinion they are the best value in optics around. I got a pair of 10x42 ED glass for a little over $300 and I love them. No they are not as good as the big 3(Zeiss, Leica or Swaro) but for the money I am very impressed! Now as far as Elk hunting it is my opinion you don't need 10x42s to hunt Elk in timber but I carried mine this year and they did fine. I would say most western hunters carry 8x42 or 10x42 glass. A brand called Zen Ray was 2nd on my list and is more readily available. If you've got the coin cameralandny.com has the best deals on high end optics...check out their demos prices.

Another point to add is a good Mapping GPS. I use mine extensively. Stick with Garmin as you can get free TOPOs online pretty easy. I have a Garmin Vista hCX. Would like to upgrade to a Garmin Oregon 450 which is a touch screen but not tops on my gear list this year.

My KUIU Icon 6000 was waiting when I got back from deer hunting. Have not done anything with it yet except take it out of the box but man is it light! They say it'll handle 80 pounds comfortably...We'll see.

marshrat...For a 1st timer you are not doomed. There are thousands of guys that go west every year on their own and a lot that prefer it that way. I would say that it is my preference to hunt Elk with at least 2 guys.

1. Because it works better to have a caller in back of you
                    2. You will need help getting 200#s of meat plus a head off the mountain should you be successful.

I did go outfitted on my first Elk hunt(unsucessful) but I learned a lot but don't feel like it is your only option. There is a ton of info online and I suggest you visit other forums that focus more on western hunting. Bowsite.com, archerytalk.com and onyourownadnetures.com are ones I frequent.

Your timing is gonna be your biggest issue. Not being able to go in Sept when the Elk rut is going on. It is the most magical hunting experience I have encountered. If Sept and early Oct are out you need to focus on timed hunts when you can go. States have late hunts (nov-dec)which may coincide with school but those hunts are spot and stalk and intercept type hunts.

For pre-school hunts check out NM archery antelope and NV archery Mule deer. My wife is a teacher and I can get away for those hunts pretty easy before school starts.

Good luck and PM me with any questions you have I would be happy to help.

Comment

Sweet, I will check out the Theron brand. The Colorado unit I have been hunting is dark timber anyway, I hauled binos with me and just about NEVER used them. Spotting scope would be a complete waste of time.

Those dang KUIU Outlet prices are tempting me, BIG TIME right now. Called and talked to Jason for a while a couple months back about a business opportunity, and we got off on the Icon. He is pretty excited about it. Please give us a review when you can.

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                      Good point on optics TWP. After I wrote my last post I thought I should have added an optics bullet as well. I use a brand called Theron Optics. In my opinion they are the best value in optics around. I got a pair of 10x42 ED glass for a little over $300 and I love them. No they are not as good as the big 3(Zeiss, Leica or Swaro) but for the money I am very impressed! Now as far as Elk hunting it is my opinion you don't need 10x42s to hunt Elk in timber but I carried mine this year and they did fine. I would say most western hunters carry 8x42 or 10x42 glass. A brand called Zen Ray was 2nd on my list and is more readily available. If you've got the coin cameralandny.com has the best deals on high end optics...check out their demos prices.

Another point to add is a good Mapping GPS. I use mine extensively. Stick with Garmin as you can get free TOPOs online pretty easy. I have a Garmin Vista hCX. Would like to upgrade to a Garmin Oregon 450 which is a touch screen but not tops on my gear list this year.

My KUIU Icon 6000 was waiting when I got back from deer hunting. Have not done anything with it yet except take it out of the box but man is it light! They say it'll handle 80 pounds comfortably...We'll see.

marshrat...For a 1st timer you are not doomed. There are thousands of guys that go west every year on their own and a lot that prefer it that way. I would say that it is my preference to hunt Elk with at least 2 guys.

2. You will need help getting 200#s of meat plus a head off the mountain should you be successful.

I did go outfitted on my first Elk hunt(unsucessful) but I learned a lot but don't feel like it is your only option. There is a ton of info online and I suggest you visit other forums that focus more on western hunting. Bowsite.com, archerytalk.com and onyourownadnetures.com are ones I frequent.

Your timing is gonna be your biggest issue. Not being able to go in Sept when the Elk rut is going on. It is the most magical hunting experience I have encountered. If Sept and early Oct are out you need to focus on timed hunts when you can go. States have late hunts (nov-dec)which may coincide with school but those hunts are spot and stalk and intercept type hunts.

For pre-school hunts check out NM archery antelope and NV archery Mule deer. My wife is a teacher and I can get away for those hunts pretty easy before school starts.

Comment

In OK, we start school around August 11th. It is early. maybe the beginning of October, But I just Don't see how that can come about. What would be a good amount of time to ask off? how long should I hunt? I would prefer archery over rifle.

Comment

In OK, we start school around August 11th. It is early. maybe the beginning of October, But I just Don't see how that can come about. What would be a good amount of time to ask off? how long should I hunt? I would prefer archery over rifle.
                          You might just get your feet wet with a rifle hunt. In NM the rifle hunts typicaly last five days starting at first light on a Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                            You might just get your feet wet with a rifle hunt. In NM the rifle hunts typicaly last five days starting at first light on a Saturday.
                            I was thinking about doing a rifle hunt next November for elk rather than a bow hunt. Unless a bow hunt is doable outside of the rut and in November on my Thanksgiving break. If I have to go the rifle route for November, is a CO OTC tag still available or worth going at that time?

Comment

1. High Quality Gortex boots. I have 4 pair but my favorite is the Lowa Tibet...Got mine for just a hair over $200 from Shoebuy.com. Wait for a 25% off and new purchases get an additional 10%. Kenetrek, Asolo are some others.
                              I use a pair of LOWA hunter extremes in colder weather. Asolo sassalongs for warmer weather. I do have the tendency to wear the sassalongs as an everyday shoe as the are so dang comfortable. To get in shape and prep for long hikes in the summer I will hike with lowa renegades because they are lightweight and are good in the hotter weather.

Comment

or is there another state that I should look into for an OTC tag or drawing for that Thanksgiving time frame?

Comment

Working...
                                X