The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by old killer View Post
    If you go to my topo.com and follow beaverhead road up the mountain from Reserve, we camped on road 626. That is also Sign Camp canyon rd. The right at the y goes lower to parks and tanks. To the left of the big tank is Devils Creek. A lot of elk all the way back to 626a and upper devils tank where we took a 6x7. The elk work their way up Turkey mountain in the morning. You have to get high early to beat them up the mountain. All the way to the end of 626a is six shooter tank. You can drive to there. The best hunting will be past the tank and down into bull basin. I killed my bull at crossing tank.
    At sheep basin there is sheep basin tank. Take the road past it and go towards the ridge. Park at the end of the road and over the ridge is an unnamed tank. We took a 310 in that area. Over that ridge is Gatlin canyon, there were a lot of elk in there, mainly because the outfitters won't get that far off a road. If you kill in there you can access it from farther down beaverhead road in a U turn. We went in on atv's to get an elk out.
    Any of the large tanks and tanks close to a road will have 2 to six stands on them.
    Thanks a lot, I am looking it up now.

Comment

Originally posted by old killer View Post
      If you go to my topo.com and follow beaverhead road up the mountain from Reserve, we camped on road 626. That is also Sign Camp canyon rd. The right at the y goes lower to parks and tanks. To the left of the big tank is Devils Creek. A lot of elk all the way back to 626a and upper devils tank where we took a 6x7. The elk work their way up Turkey mountain in the morning. You have to get high early to beat them up the mountain. All the way to the end of 626a is six shooter tank. You can drive to there. The best hunting will be past the tank and down into bull basin. I killed my bull at crossing tank.
      At sheep basin there is sheep basin tank. Take the road past it and go towards the ridge. Park at the end of the road and over the ridge is an unnamed tank. We took a 310 in that area. Over that ridge is Gatlin canyon, there were a lot of elk in there, mainly because the outfitters won't get that far off a road. If you kill in there you can access it from farther down beaverhead road in a U turn. We went in on atv's to get an elk out.
      Any of the large tanks and tanks close to a road will have 2 to six stands on them.
      I went to Google Earth and found the areas you were talking about. I also found a lot of unnamed tanks that should be productive I am gonna check them out in July, Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Did my first 14'er today, Grays Peak

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340585345.975559.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	24087446

the peak!

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340585364.243013.jpg
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	24087447

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340585377.477048.jpg
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	24087449

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340585392.826979.jpg
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	24087450
        Back at my friends jeep had to rehydrate

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340585405.237438.jpg
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	24087451
        Last edited by tookeymonster; 06-24-2012, 06:53 PM.

Comment

I can barely breath thinking about 14K....see any critters up there?

Comment

Originally posted by tookeymonster View Post
            Did my first 14'er today, Grays Peak
            Only 54 more to go!

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
              I can barely breath thinking about 14K....see any critters up there?
              Saw several goats up top, bunch of MuleDeer at the tree line. No elk but we did get a late start so they were probably in the shade by then.

Comment

Yeah buddy!!!! Just wrote out some goals on the 14ers, will hopefully get 3 of them this year. That hydration is key. Lol Well done.

Comment

Trying to plan out Sept and Oct:
                  Starting Aug. 25th, Colorado OTC archery elk, possibly an archery either sex deer tag- waiting on leftover draw, then possibly Idaho OTC elk, followed up with South Dakota archery deer-starts Sept 22nd, followed up with Colorado 1st rifle cow tag-Oct 13-17- leftover draw.

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
                    Trying to plan out Sept and Oct:
                    Starting Aug. 25th, Colorado OTC archery elk, possibly an archery either sex deer tag- waiting on leftover draw, then possibly Idaho OTC elk, followed up with South Dakota archery deer-starts Sept 22nd, followed up with Colorado 1st rifle cow tag-Oct 13-17- leftover draw.
                    Now that's 2 months of hunting fun!

I've got the 2011 CO leftover list from 8/8/2011...I think it was before they started selling but can't remember, if you want to see what was left last year send me your email and I'll send it over.

If you have good info on ID disregard my comments but those herds did get hurt by wolves. My buddy has hunted the Dworshak for years and they are moving because of it.

You hunting Custer NF in SD?

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                      Now that's 2 months of hunting fun!

I've got the 2011 CO leftover list from 8/8/2011...I think it was before they started selling but can't remember, if you want to see what was left last year send me your email and I'll send it over.already have this years leftover list, submitted for leftover draw last night

If you have good info on ID disregard my comments but those herds did get hurt by wolves. My buddy has hunted the Dworshak for years and they are moving because of it.Idaho is strictly backup plan, have never been there but do know a bunch of people who have

You hunting Custer NF in SD?have a friend who did this hunt last year, would be hunting with him so haven't checked it all out yet.
                      See answers above, just started putting things together last night. Still have a while to research but I know time will fly by quickly.

Headed back up to Colorado this weekend on another scouting trip....

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
                        I went to Google Earth and found the areas you were talking about. I also found a lot of unnamed tanks that should be productive I am gonna check them out in July, Thanks again for your help.
                        Check the National Forest alerts for closures before you leave. As bad as it is with fire they may close the forest completely.

Comment

Headed to Colorado tomorrow evening, will spend another weekend in a wilderness area. Will be hitting one peak at 13,600 feet.
                          Started taking Diamox this week to help prevent altitude sickness, don't want to have any problems. Will be sleeping at approx 11,800 feet where we are packing in to.
                          Packed the backpack tonight, fully loaded with spotting scope, tripod, and fishing pole is 38 lbs. Will be closer to 40 lbs if I switch the bivy sack for the GoLite SL5 tipi depending on weather when I leave the truck. Or I can ditch the tripod and spotting scope and drop it to 34 lbs. with about 2.5 lbs of that being food.

Comment

Kind of surprised you guys let this one slip so far down....

Comment

Beautiful country! I saw on another post you didn't see many critters though. It sure looks 'Elky" to me.

Comment

I'm famous

I was thumbing thru the latest Eastman's BHJ. I forgot I sent a pic in last year of my Elk kill and there I was on page 89. Don't know why they chose my dink with all the other 300+ bulls in there....probably my pretty face

Comment

Working...
                                X