No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please leave us a review after you test out the Icon. Jason has one in the outlet that is like a siren song to me right now.

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
    Good thread!

Training:As much as I can right now sitting a stand 8 hours+ per day

Gear: My big purchase this off season was a a big mutliday pack. Picked up the KUIU Icon 6000. It will be at my doorstep in 2 days. Got pretty much everything else. I stocked up on Sitka last year off camofire.com. In the marker for a big base camp tent though.

Apps: Yes never too early to think about apps. Will be applying for WY...if not drawn will apply for NM and if not drawn CO OTC. Points in UT, NV and AZ.

For those who have not gone Elk hunting before...a pair of premium, well fitting boots should be tops on your list!

Comment

wyoming elk 1st on the list. then depending on those results... wyoming deer and antelope, colorado points all the way around, utah deer& elk points, sheep apply. idaho mt goat apply. nevada apply for mt. goat and deer. kansas deer point, and texas public land. also this year montanna allowed hunter to apply for points only would like tobank a few points have some future areas in mind. idaho archery elk is a good fall back option if for some reason plans are unsuccessful.

Comment

[quote=Whirlwind;4553619]
        Originally posted by Kokanee View Post
        TWP, I had never heard of Kuiu before!? Thanks for the tip! I will have to check them out. Sitka is over the top pricey! They are in the same price point as the normal non-hunting related alpine gear I buy, but any better deals for good quality lightweight clothing that won't get me killed at elevation is a plus. Primos Micro's are the smallest that I have seen so far, but I haven't looked too hard. They fit my mouth, which is small as well, but didn't cause me to gag. I can't make any sound out of them that doesnt' sound like a drowning cat yet though!

The Kuiu camo is about the same price as sitka. The designer of Kuiu worked or maybe still works for sitka. check out Core4element camo too. You can find good deals on camofire and get the whole set. I got pants, shirt, jacket, suspenders, belt and cap for like $250.
        I saw the deals on Camofire for Core4element and took advantage of them. I was pretty impressed with their gear and will be looking to buy more.

Comment

I'm loving this thread. This is getting me really pumped up as I will be looking at OTC tags for my first year. I'm already getting some good info here. Thanks for doing this.

Comment

Good thread

Comment

Originally posted by tommyp View Post
              wyoming elk 1st on the list. then depending on those results... wyoming deer and antelope, colorado points all the way around, utah deer& elk points, sheep apply. idaho mt goat apply. nevada apply for mt. goat and deer. kansas deer point, and texas public land. also this year montanna allowed hunter to apply for points only would like tobank a few points have some future areas in mind. idaho archery elk is a good fall back option if for some reason plans are unsuccessful.
              Tommy, do you mind letting us know how you go about doing your homework on animals, states, units, etc???

Just a short little write up or maybe just some links to help some of the newbies better understand the draw process? You seem to have it down pretty darn well.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                We will be after cows this weekend. My nieces have youth tags.
                Please keep us in the loop on how they do! What unit?

Side note, used to shoot a lot of ducks in your neck of the woods/desert when I lived in NM. Best of luck to your nieces.

Comment

Here is a great start to Colorado for beginners or new to Colorado hunters. It helped me a lot!

Surf their entire site, lots of good information for OTC DIY hunts as well as their draws and pref. point info.
                  Key in on the Big Game Regional Hunting guides. Shows the rules and regs., antler restrictions, Pack horse requirements as well as the previous seasons harvest stats by region/unit. Like drinking from a firehose!

Also, not sure about other states, but CO. requires hunter safety course proof after 1948, not 1972 like Texas. Witnessed one poor guy get turned away at the license counter after driving 16 hours!

US Forest service Maps here, or mytopo.com to make your own.

Comment

Oregon is over the counter for tags. The web address is www.dfw.state.or.us you can get the game regulations there. We dont have the elk numbers that Co. does.

Comment

i will try to put togther a list. and some links. dates and so on. once you get started it is not too bad. it does take commitment and planning for not only this next year but years in advance. like my colorado deer tag needs y 4 points on average to pull so that means that hunt comes around every 5 years and so on.

Comment

Dang I just got home from elk hunting and yall are already talking about next year..

Comment

gotta stay on top... it takes forever to get here and its gone in a blink. heck when Idaho was really hot you had to be on board december 1st, cause primo tags were gone by noon, except limited enties.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                              Dang I just got home from elk hunting and yall are already talking about next year..
                              If you want to hunt some of the best units, you have to think a decade or more out! As I'm typing that, I'm wondering why anybody would be so crazy. But then I look at my hunting pics and then I remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                                Heck! I start talking about it and planning for it on the way home from it!

It's a sickness that I wish on nobody And at the same time everybody

Comment

Working...
                                X