The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Elk Thread

Well, just got done putting all of my bivy pack gear in new spot in the garage, and got the feeling that is is getting into application time and it is always physical prep time of the year. Figured I would start a thread concerning anything and everything with the ol wapiti.

Always see LOTS of folks who chime in on the elk live hunts each year, and they always say that they would LOVE to hunt elk, but don't know how, who, what, where, or when. Well, hopefully this can build over the winter months and we can help each other out and learn a thing or two from the more seasoned elk hunters on here.

I will start I guess.

Training:
    Starting a Westside Conjugate/Crossfit hybrid system to start gaining strength for the cold months and work on some conditioning as well.

Gear:
    Started a "Glass Fund" to get purchase some higher end glass compared to my cheap stuff. Not sure what size or brand yet....would LOVE some Swaro ELs, but may have to go used to do it.

Money Grab aka Draws:
    Started doing my research on Montana and Wyoming, not going to give NM another dime after they passed the new bill. Will also be putting in to start earning points towards a ewe big horn tag in MT as well. If I don't get drawn, again, I will see about returning to one of two OTC units in CO that I've hunted recently.

Comment

Subscribed!

Training:
      Cardio, more cardio and cardio still. Leg work and backwork to improve endurance, typical lifting regimen for upper body & core work to keep the girls happy. P-90X is not my freind!

Gear:
      Lighter bow for next year in the plan. No glass needed for the most part as terrain is too dense in zone 71 CO. New camo that will bridge the gap between morning, day and night temps better than current, Sitka is looking to get the nod.

Form:
      Shooting at least once a day at full heart rate and AT.

Calling:
      Take the training wheels off and ditch the Carlton bugle and learn the Primos blue reed and diaphragms for all around utility.

2012 is going to be a full 9 months of work for September!

Comment

Well I have a guided elk hunt in CO for next Sept already paid for! I guess I need to start working out a little to get in shape for the mtns. Last time I was up there it was no problem but that was about 5yrs ago and I am not getting any younger.

Bisch

Comment

This past fall was my first elk hunt- was an incredible time with a great bunch of guys. Really looking forward to going back, but like was said above, my cardio workouts will start much sooner than they did last year. Probably within the next 30-45 days. It was brutal .

Subscribing to this thread...

Comment

This is giong to be one to follow because I have always wanted to go elk hunting and have not been able to get any of my buddies interested. Thanks for all the tips that have come and or coming in the future.

Comment

I have been hunting elk here in Oregon For over thirty years. I agree with Kokanee learn to use a diaphram calls. Need both hands for bow. Carry different brands because of different pitch. You will only have a few times calling the same bull. They will get The sound of your call and if they dont see a bull or a cow will get call shy on you. I love chasing elk and hope I can go another thirty years.

Comment

Subscribed

Comment

well it is really not that long till application season begins...

Comment

Originally posted by tommyp View Post
                    well it is really not that long till application season begins...
                    Yup, for several states you'd better have it on your mind because before MLD Deer season is over their draws will have already passed

Comment

No elk for me in 2012. Africa is already booked and paid for (except for a few trophy fees). All good suggestions and routines to follow. Just remember, no matter how much you train and such, you will never be fully good to go in the no oxygen atmosphere of the mountains!

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                        No elk for me in 2012. Africa is already booked and paid for (except for a few trophy fees). All good suggestions and routines to follow. Just remember, no matter how much you train and such, you will never be fully good to go in the no oxygen atmosphere of the mountains!
                        About three miles with a plastic trash bag over your head will take care of that.

Comment

Subscribed. I'm putting in for Arizona and New Mexico for sure in '12. The AZ tag is a dream!

I'll start getting ready for the hunt (if drawn) in the spring- lots of cardio and lifting. It's a grind if you don't take getting in shape seriously- and being out of shape also cuts down on your chances of getting a nice bull!

Comment

Kokanee, I hear you on the lighter bow. Went to the traditional side and this is one of the big reasons why...plus it is just more fun.

Also, don't buy Sitka until you check out KUIU!!! Awesome stuff at a lot better prices! Made by Jason Hairston, one of the founders of Sitka, who left when they sold out to Gore. Nice guy, can call him and talk gear if you have questions.

Originally posted by Kokanee View Post
                            Subscribed!

Training:
                            Cardio, more cardio and cardio still. Leg work and backwork to improve endurance, typical lifting regimen for upper body & core work to keep the girls happy. P-90X is not my freind!

Gear:
                            Lighter bow for next year in the plan. No glass needed for the most part as terrain is too dense in zone 71 CO. New camo that will bridge the gap between morning, day and night temps better than current, Sitka is looking to get the nod.

Form:
                            Shooting at least once a day at full heart rate and AT.

Calling:
                            Take the training wheels off and ditch the Carlton bugle and learn the Primos blue reed and diaphragms for all around utility.

2012 is going to be a full 9 months of work for September!

Comment

Originally posted by hbuck View Post
                              I have been hunting elk here in Oregon For over thirty years. I agree with Kokanee learn to use a diaphram calls. Need both hands for bow. Carry different brands because of different pitch. You will only have a few times calling the same bull. They will get The sound of your call and if they dont see a bull or a cow will get call shy on you. I love chasing elk and hope I can go another thirty years.
                              What is the best call for some with a very small mouth and a very very strong gag reflex? I carried mine in my mouth for a week before my last hunt and still gag every time.

Comment

Working...
                              X