Post Tension Cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1369 View Post

I think this is the cable that was being referenced.

Looks like the dead end is being held up with two pieces of #3 bar staked into the dirt.

I'm not a commercial guy, so that's why I'm asking this, but do they have to wait for a 28 day test break before they're allowed to post tension the slab?
    No. Typically the cables are stressed appx 7 days after the pour. Concrete holds the dead end in place for the stress. If it is a large foundation there will sometimes be a keyway installed on smaller offsets (i.e. Garages) at the connection point. When that happens the key way will be metal and the dead ends on both sides will be supported by rebar dowels just like in the photo.
    I will concede it is not normal to see bottom cables only the exterior beams, but that is apparently what the engineer in record calls for.
    There's a good chance that the contractor is using a turnkey company for his foundations and that's the reason for the pads not having a full 4" clearance. Trying to save money on concrete. Do the math on a foundation and change the beams from 12" wide to 11" and 24" depth to 22" and you've cut a whole truck or more of cost in concrete depending on the size of the slab.

If I'm the buyer here and I've done my research and hired what I believe to be a quality contractor I'm not going to be the one in his way and pissing him off, especially this early. If the buyer is concerned about the contractors construction practices, I would hire and independent inspector to inspect all 3 phases and let him be the thorn.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
      If I'm the buyer here and I've done my research and hired what I believe to be a quality contractor I'm not going to be the one in his way and pissing him off, especially this early. If the buyer is concerned about the contractors construction practices, I would hire and independent inspector to inspect all 3 phases and let him be the thorn.
      This is a good idea.

Comment

WOW
        yep i called my engineer to come out pre pour and he verified everything... not sure why your builder would get upset as thats standard for the kind of money dropped

tell builder your bank required it

the city or county where u got permit will have copy of drawing you can go yourself and pull it, Mine charges like a dollar a page to reprint
        Last edited by kingranch; 08-23-2018, 03:54 PM.

Comment

I got to tell you bud....if the builder got butt-hurt over this at this stage of your relationship, you got a long row to hoe.

Comment

The reason he is ending the cables in the corner like that is because they are not using interior beam cables. That intersection is where the exterior and interior beams connect. Wont see any of that around here. But we do have blind dead ends in a few slabs from time to time.

Comment

Im far from a slab guy, but how can you pull the cables.without any sticking out?

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdaddy View Post
                I bet there is no concrete testing done on the slab, second I bet the cables are stressed within 5 to 7 days.
                Around here 7 to 10 days for a full stress, try to hit 7 day when it is real hot

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                  Im far from a slab guy, but how can you pull the cables.without any sticking out?
                  The othe end sticks out about 2', it is called the live end

Comment

Some builders pre-stress at 5 - 7 days, then full stress later. Some full stress at 10 days or so. Engineers will design foundations differently. If the foundation is built pet the engineers specifications, you should be good. Obviously provided the engineer knows his business.

Not knowing any of the specifics of your foundation, in general the pictures provided look representative of a post tension foundation. It's not unreasonable to ask your builder for a copy of the pre-pour inspection report. If the interim loan is in your name, i'd demand a copy of the report before i paid the foundation draw.

Comment

We talked yesterday afternoon and what he showed me was the actual drawing from the foundation Pier company and it didn't show them in the inside just around the perimeter. He also showed me a drawing from them on another home that said the bottom cable was "if required". I told them I wanted a drawing or letter saying that they are NOT required on my home and it needed to be stamped, dated, and signed. He said they were going to get that. I told them they didn't need to be upset or something because I questioned the slab on MY home. I said I would expect they would do the same if someone was building their home. I looked a long time to find a good builder that didn't seem like a BS salesman and had meetings with 4 others. This one seemed like the one that was meant to be.

Comment

OK. Take this advice for what you want to. This guy wants your business because that’s how he makes a living, takes care of his family, pays his bills. If you’re satisfied ( I say satisfied because if I’m your contractor you’ve already prepped me for not being able to make me happy) with the foundation keep in mind everything from this point on can be fixed. He has other jobs and can not be on site 12hrs a day and is trusting contractors to perform their job correctly. They will not. He will have to bring them back to make any necessary repairs. You have already cost him money and moved the close date back by postponing the pour. He does not need or want daily phone calls or emails about what you see or think is incorrect. He needs to be allowed to do his job, if you think he can’t you should cut ties now. With that said, any concerns you or your private inspector have during rough in stage I would make sure are 100% addressed before you allow him to insulate or sheet rock.

Like I said, take it for what it’s worth. Don’t know your contractor, he may be great, average or terrible but you don’t want to become the client that he avoids all calls from. He’s making sausage, making sausage is not pretty. There will be mistakes, repairs and adjustments through the entire process.

Comment

That's interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                            OK. Take this advice for what you want to. This guy wants your business because that’s how he makes a living, takes care of his family, pays his bills. If you’re satisfied ( I say satisfied because if I’m your contractor you’ve already prepped me for not being able to make me happy) with the foundation keep in mind everything from this point on can be fixed. He has other jobs and can not be on site 12hrs a day and is trusting contractors to perform their job correctly. They will not. He will have to bring them back to make any necessary repairs. You have already cost him money and moved the close date back by postponing the pour. He does not need or want daily phone calls or emails about what you see or think is incorrect. He needs to be allowed to do his job, if you think he can’t you should cut ties now. With that said, any concerns you or your private inspector have during rough in stage I would make sure are 100% addressed before you allow him to insulate or sheet rock.

Like I said, take it for what it’s worth. Don’t know your contractor, he may be great, average or terrible but you don’t want to become the client that he avoids all calls from. He’s making sausage, making sausage is not pretty. There will be mistakes, repairs and adjustments through the entire process.
                            Yes sir I told him that we were not going to be a thorn in his side. We just knew that once it was poured no changes could be made. I told him that we were not going to be knit picking every little thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearbarrow View Post
                              We talked yesterday afternoon and what he showed me was the actual drawing from the foundation Pier company and it didn't show them in the inside just around the perimeter. He also showed me a drawing from them on another home that said the bottom cable was "if required". I told them I wanted a drawing or letter saying that they are NOT required on my home and it needed to be stamped, dated, and signed. He said they were going to get that. I told them they didn't need to be upset or something because I questioned the slab on MY home. I said I would expect they would do the same if someone was building their home. I looked a long time to find a good builder that didn't seem like a BS salesman and had meetings with 4 others. This one seemed like the one that was meant to be.
                              The drawing itself should be stamped by an engineer. If it wasn't that would be a red flag for me.

But yes, you are correct, he should be able to get a letter from the company who did the drawings stamped and everything. If you really want to be sure, get the PE information and check it out online. I think this site will get you what you need. We use a pay site at work, but this one checked out for our PE's and is free.

http://www2.dca.ca.gov/pls/wllpub/wl..._pgm_code=7500

Comment

Originally posted by Bearbarrow View Post
                                Yes sir I told him that we were not going to be a thorn in his side. We just knew that once it was poured no changes could be made. I told him that we were not going to be knit picking every little thing.
                                It’s your house and it may take being knit picking to get what you want. Hopefully not, hang with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X