Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-04-2018, 09:16 PM   #1
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman
Default Strength training for kids

My 9 yr old wants a bench and free weights, anyone have resources for strength training for kids? I know it can be damaging to growth plates if done improperly. I’m inclined to just keep him doing push ups, prison squats and pull ups.
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 09:23 PM   #2
BULL21
Eight Point

Hunt In: Robert Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
My 9 yr old wants a bench and free weights, anyone have resources for strength training for kids? I know it can be damaging to growth plates if done improperly. I’m inclined to just keep him doing push ups, prison squats and pull ups.
Just keep him doing what he’s doing. Don’t put a kid that young on weights
BULL21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 09:27 PM   #3
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonroa, Comfort

Quote:
Don't do it! Just find a strength and conditioning coach for youth players. They mainly stick with jump boxes and running with a few medicine ball drills.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 09:32 PM   #4
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stonewall County

No weights that young. My son has had a strength and conditioning coach for over a year and they do nothing with weights. A little bit with bands and medicine balls but the majority is jumping and push ups/ set ups

Last edited by aggie2000tx; 02-04-2018 at 09:35 PM.
aggie2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 09:54 PM   #5
CoachStanton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Punkin Center, TX

Get after it. The old way of thinking was that it would stunt growth and hurt the child. That is not true. Peer reviewed research has proven otherwise. Obviously he doesn't need to be working for a one rep max, but weight training will not hurt him. Studies have shown that resistance training in prepubescent males will stimulate testosterone production and growth hormone production. It actually does the opposite of what we had heard for years. The reason kids are so much bigger in high school now has more to do with the fact that they start lifting weights in middle school than waiting until later. Make sure he uses good technique and let him go.
CoachStanton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 10:10 PM   #6
Brute Killer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pleasanton

When I was coming up it was hauling hay and moving pipe, driving t-post and digging post holes.
Brute Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 10:42 PM   #7
Beargrasstx
Six Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado

Nothing wrong with lifting weights. I personally wouldn't have him do reps less than 6 but that is just a personal decision not based on anything factual.

Your body doesn't know the difference between lifting itself, a haybale, a dumbbell, or resistance bands. All your body knows is the resistance it is moving. Carrying a ball around or doing box jumps isn't safer on your joints than squatting or doing dumbbell lunges. I would say a greater chance of injury would happen with doing box jumps
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 11:00 PM   #8
mojohunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Jackson Co. and Tom Green Co.
Default Strength training for kids

Google Zero Block Training. You will find a lot of info. I keep up with Joe Kenn “Bighousepower”. He is the S&C coach for the Carolina Panthers. He has several accolades - NFL and NSCA coach of the year awards. We use a lot of what he teaches/coaches with all levels of our athletes. Zero Block especially for our incoming 7th-9th grades. Mostly body weight movements along with bands, kettle bells, and dumbbells. Master those movements before adding weight. There are several YouTube videos with zero block training as well.

Last edited by mojohunter; 02-04-2018 at 11:10 PM.
mojohunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 11:23 PM   #9
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

The old school way of thinking no weights that young is gone. He doesn’t need to be maxing out everyday but some weights are good. We’ve got a group for the kiddos at out CrossFit gym that’s awesome. Lots of body weight stuff with a few days of lifting mixed in.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 11:41 PM   #10
huntingfanatic
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall County

Pretty much all you need to know

https://www.nsca.com/uploadedFiles/N...20-%202009.pdf
huntingfanatic is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 06:54 AM   #11
KUJays
Six Point

Hunt In: Brown and Hopkins County

Get him TRX, all body weight lifting.
KUJays is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 08:47 AM   #12
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

My kid was into so much at that age he had no time to train. Football- soccer-baseball- kick boxing-track. I would get him exposure into as much as possible and make him an athlete. Every sport will help with the other. No help on training at that age. We started my youngest about 13 years old but he also dropped to one sport
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 09:11 AM   #13
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk Co., TX & La Flore Co., OK

My 9yr old is in an off season strength conditioning program, and they use no weights. They teach technique then apply it with strength building exercises. Lots of medicine ball, jump blocks, parachute and resistance sprints. He comes home wiped out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 10:11 AM   #14
bowsticker
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, Brackettville

No weights...Push ups and sit ups
bowsticker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 10:26 AM   #15
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Stay with natural body strength, push ups, pull ups, dips, etc.. No weights! Maybe some resistance with bands.

I wouldn't start weight training until hormones start pumping through the kids body and that won't be until 12 or so.
Chad C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 10:29 AM   #16
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Really the only movement I would be careful with is going overhead with weights. I made 2 sand bags with some military canvas duffles and have my boys drag them, throw them, sling them, basically jist "move" them, and they actually love it it. It's great for the core.

We can get onto our middle school football field, which is turf, and we run sprints, shuttles, and throw the bags in. Kettlebell swings are great, along with pushups, sit ups, air squats, squat jumps, burpees and hand stand holds.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 06:28 PM   #17
krisw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cass County

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStanton View Post
Get after it. The old way of thinking was that it would stunt growth and hurt the child. That is not true. Peer reviewed research has proven otherwise. Obviously he doesn't need to be working for a one rep max, but weight training will not hurt him. Studies have shown that resistance training in prepubescent males will stimulate testosterone production and growth hormone production. It actually does the opposite of what we had heard for years. The reason kids are so much bigger in high school now has more to do with the fact that they start lifting weights in middle school than waiting until later. Make sure he uses good technique and let him go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acameron52 View Post
The old school way of thinking no weights that young is gone. He doesn’t need to be maxing out everyday but some weights are good. We’ve got a group for the kiddos at out CrossFit gym that’s awesome. Lots of body weight stuff with a few days of lifting mixed in.
Any links to back that up?
krisw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 07:08 PM   #18
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

Doing physical therapy last year I discussed it with my therapist, for my 11 year old grandson. She said lighter weights high reps, no powerlifting. Her training says powerlifting can cause growth plate issues.

He turned 12 in October, weighs 156 lbs. Needs conditioning as well as strength training. He loves basketball, I don't think he has the speed for it, but he is built for football. Needs a good coach to teach some technique, if he wants to play anymore.
double bogey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 09:02 PM   #19
CoachStanton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Punkin Center, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisw View Post
Any links to back that up?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3445252/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3483033/

These are just a couple. There are thousands of them and some can get very technical if you want to dig further.

CoachStanton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 09:05 PM   #20
Hoss163
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowsticker View Post
No weights...Push ups and sit ups
This and jump rope
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 10:01 PM   #21
Still Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tex, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico

Get him a gymnastics program and a wrestling program. I guarantee he will muscle up and lb per lb per the strongest athlete around.
Still Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 10:13 PM   #22
justindiehl7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Woodville, TX

Make him drink 2-3 glasses of milk a day til he’s 15, then start lifting weights.

justindiehl7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 10:44 PM   #23
Texas007
Eight Point

Hunt In: Midway,

Vary the pushups hands close together shoulder width, past shoulder width. (Or raise his feet on chair or couch). Chair dips supported or unsupported. Sit-ups and squats. Like most have said pay attention to correct form.
Texas007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 10:57 PM   #24
AxisAddict
Four Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Actual strength and conditioning coach/personal trainer here (not a school coach). There has been a lot of decent advice on here, and a lot of erroneous advice. As with anything, there is too much of a good thing and too little of anything. Just because your child is young, doesn't mean he can't train with weights. HOWEVER, you shouldn't push a kid too hard too fast. The old "stunting the growth" thing comes from pushing a young child, whose growth plates are still solidifying, too hard. Weight training can absolutely be beneficial as it targets the muscular system. Putting too much weight on a child, will indeed hurt their skeletal frame. As a rule (VERY GENERAL), if the child can't lift the weight without a great deal of straining (manifested as pain on the face), it is TOO MUCH. I could go on for hours, but my overall response to your quandary is that YES kids can train with weight.
AxisAddict is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 12:43 AM   #25
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southeastern Oklahoma

Tag
Booner Sooner is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 01:19 AM   #26
Archer4Life
Eight Point

Hunt In: anywhere i can

Tag for later