Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-17-2018, 11:46 AM   #1
hunt3469
Ten Point

Default Any Physical Therapists here??

Good morning everyone! Happy to share that I have been accepted to PT school and begin this coming August in Conway, Arkansas. Really excited to start this new chapter in my life and looking forward to my career. Curious to see if anyone here is a physical therapist and if so where do work? Hospital, own clinic, etc. Also what kind of therapy do you enjoy? How is the job market looking as well? Any information and comments is much appreciated!! Feel free to PM me. -- Zach Hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hunt3469 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2018, 11:52 AM   #2
Tomkat70
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason ,Brady,Menard

Congrats
Tomkat70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2018, 12:02 PM   #3
Ronnie
Eight Point

Hunt In: La. & Texas

Do it. Get a job anywhere. Inpatient, outpatient, acute care, try them all to see what you like best. You will pretty well be able to take your pick.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2018, 12:13 PM   #4
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

My wife is an OT and you will certainly have no problem starting a career when your done.
She has worked for several clinics specializing in pediatrics and loved it.
Like mentioned already, try several different options to see what fits you best and be ready for a lot of calls from recruiters
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2018, 12:24 PM   #5
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Congratulations! !! My niece is waiting to get in also. I had no idea it was so hard to get into a PT program.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2018, 12:25 PM   #6
Jerry Worley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gatesville

My youngest daughter is about to graduate in April. Yeah for me!

Her last clinical was with a PT Clinic 2 miles from our house. Turns out they liked her and made her a job offer. She just accepted and will start in May. She will be working with kids most all the time and that is what she wanted.

The best advice I can give you is to remember with each clinical you go to, you are on a job interview. Do not get caught up in the "I'm paying to be here, instead of them paying me" crowd. Her clinical before this one, they also offered her a job.

One other thing, she meet recently with the group she is graduating with in April. Do not assume the highest paying jobs are in the biggest cities.
Jerry Worley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2018, 01:44 PM   #7
hunt3469
Ten Point

Great, thank you for the recommendations! I am glad to hear the job market is very solid, from everyone I talk to that seems to be the trend going forward. PT school is VERY competitive to get into so I am thrilled and blessed.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:48 PM   #8
hunt3469
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Worley View Post
My youngest daughter is about to graduate in April. Yeah for me!

Her last clinical was with a PT Clinic 2 miles from our house. Turns out they liked her and made her a job offer. She just accepted and will start in May. She will be working with kids most all the time and that is what she wanted.

The best advice I can give you is to remember with each clinical you go to, you are on a job interview. Do not get caught up in the "I'm paying to be here, instead of them paying me" crowd. Her clinical before this one, they also offered her a job.

One other thing, she meet recently with the group she is graduating with in April. Do not assume the highest paying jobs are in the biggest cities.

That is awesome for you and your daughter! What is a typical starting salary offer currently and where do you live?

Old 01-18-2018, 03:03 PM   #9
hunt3469
Ten Point

Bump

Old 01-18-2018, 04:01 PM   #10
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Congrats
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 07:34 PM   #11
Jerry Worley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gatesville

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt3469 View Post
That is awesome for you and your daughter! What is a typical starting salary offer currently and where do you live?

i will pm u
Jerry Worley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 07:41 PM   #12
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Ironically. ......I started my PT today!!! Gotta get these knees better in time for New Zealand mountain hunt. Europe mountains killed my knees 3 weeks,ago. )-;

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 08:37 PM   #13
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

One of my best buddies graduated from PT school a few years ago. He has had absolutely no problem finding work, there are enough jobs out there that he has been able to be picky with where he wants to end up.
Acameron52 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 08:44 PM   #14
BULL21
Eight Point

Hunt In: Robert Lee

Congrats!! Been a PT for 20 years. My daughter and son-in law are both PT’s and my other daughter is a PTA. Haven’t had to look for a job since I got out of school. I’ve been in home health for 15 years and we now own a home health agency.
BULL21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 09:06 PM   #15
Tall Tex
Six Point

Hunt In: Weimar,TX

I do PT at a hospital. Graduated about 5 years ago so not to long. Best advice is keep an open mind to all areas as you will mostly likely change your mind. I wanted orthopedic but did my acute rotation and loved it.

Also, try to make your last rotation one that could lead to a job offer after school. I suggest studying for the board rather than working and studying on a temporary license. Better to pass the first time then wait for the next test date.

Lastly, would will see differences between textbook and clinical applications, hands on experience over time teaches you things a book cannot. Remember the Board is about what is written in the BOOKS. That was probably the best advice a teacher gave us going into our first rotation and then again sitting for the boards.

Good luck on your journey.
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 10:34 PM   #16
Kdurham
Eight Point

If anyone that is a PT looking for a job in the DFW area PM me. I have a friend that owns an home health and Therapist staffing agency

Kdurham is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 11:18 PM   #17
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

I've been a PTA for 15 years and have done pediatric home health for most of it, but I have worked in about every setting possible. Pediatrics has taken a major hit in the home health setting and just this week I have transitioned back to adults unfortunately. The industry is cyclical like other industries, but I can honestly say it's been very good to me for the most part. As others have said keep an open mind about different settings becuase there is about a 90% chance you'll end up doing something you never dreamed of. Also if you are looking to get rich this might not be the career path for you unless you decide to start your own company, but it very easy to make a good living. Another great thing about PT is you can find a job in the big cities or very rural areas because the demand is high. My best advice would be to surround yourself with GOOD mentors throughout the process. This may be clinical instructors, professors, or co-workers when you get out. Find the good clinicians and be a sponge. Also never underestimate the value of good continuing education classes. Shoot me a PM if you ever have any questions and I'd be glad to answer them for you. Congrats and good luck!
cwill is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2018, 12:59 PM   #18
hunt3469
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Worley View Post
i will pm u

Ok thanks I'll check inbox

Old 01-19-2018, 01:00 PM   #19
hunt3469
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwill View Post
I've been a PTA for 15 years and have done pediatric home health for most of it, but I have worked in about every setting possible. Pediatrics has taken a major hit in the home health setting and just this week I have transitioned back to adults unfortunately. The industry is cyclical like other industries, but I can honestly say it's been very good to me for the most part. As others have said keep an open mind about different settings becuase there is about a 90% chance you'll end up doing something you never dreamed of. Also if you are looking to get rich this might not be the career path for you unless you decide to start your own company, but it very easy to make a good living. Another great thing about PT is you can find a job in the big cities or very rural areas because the demand is high. My best advice would be to surround yourself with GOOD mentors throughout the process. This may be clinical instructors, professors, or co-workers when you get out. Find the good clinicians and be a sponge. Also never underestimate the value of good continuing education classes. Shoot me a PM if you ever have any questions and I'd be glad to answer them for you. Congrats and good luck!

Thank you for your response and advice. I may send you some more questions in the future!!

Old 01-19-2018, 01:02 PM   #20
hunt3469
Ten Point

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated!

Old 01-19-2018, 01:33 PM   #21
Kdurham
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULL21 View Post
Congrats!! Been a PT for 20 years. My daughter and son-in law are both PTís and my other daughter is a PTA. Havenít had to look for a job since I got out of school. Iíve been in home health for 15 years and we now own a home health agency.

Sent you PM

Kdurham is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 11:03 PM   #22
hunt3469
Ten Point

Sent you a PM Bull21