Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-04-2018, 01:38 PM   #1
TalonErickson7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harris and Montgomery County
Default Chiropractor

Has anybody visited a chiropractor? If so what is your thoughts on them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TalonErickson7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 01:44 PM   #2
MQ32Shooter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cisco, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonErickson7 View Post
Has anybody visited a chiropractor? If so what is your thoughts on them?

I've been visiting them since 1965. Much rather have them give me an "adjustment" rather than drugs.
MQ32Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 01:47 PM   #3
Charles
Pope & Young

Yes. Good once you find the right one.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 01:49 PM   #4
TalonErickson7
Ten Point

I am going for my first time today and I am a little nervous. Haha

Old 01-04-2018, 01:53 PM   #5
MQ32Shooter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cisco, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonErickson7 View Post
I am going for my first time today and I am a little nervous. Haha

You are going to have to RELAX!! Don't fight them by staying all knotted up. Most folks they can help and I think they provide a valuable medical service.
MQ32Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 01:54 PM   #6
icetrauma
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
You are going to have to RELAX!! Don't fight them by staying all knotted up. Most folks they can help and I think they provide a valuable medical service.
Exactly, RELAX, DO NOT tense up and resist.
icetrauma is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 01:55 PM   #7
cj7zrcool
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Throckmorton County

Been going to them for years. Had a couple of great ones, a couple of OK ones, and one that I couldn't get out of his office fast enough.

A massage before hand works great for me.
cj7zrcool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 01:59 PM   #8
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

when my back is jacked up, I go get an adjustment(s) which does wonders

positive experiences for me
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 02:00 PM   #9
mzurovec
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blanco, Burnet

I went to one for the first time recently, and while I felt good for a few days afterward, the pain in my middle back came back even worse than before. For me, that back pain comes and goes, so it's hard to say whether or not it was worth it. The pain isn't bad enough to keep going back and I'll deal with it until it gets worse at this point.
mzurovec is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 02:05 PM   #10
iamntxhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Blake View Post
when my back is jacked up, I go get an adjustment(s) which does wonders

positive experiences for me
X2

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
iamntxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 02:07 PM   #11
DJM
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills Co,Coryell Co,Lampasas Co

Mine keeps me walking upright and relatively pain free.I go about every 2-3 weeks.

DJ
DJM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 02:09 PM   #12
UncleBubba
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dickens, Hunt, and Red River Co.

I never like them until I fell out of my tree stand. She straightened me back out after about 6 months of weekly visits. Now I go see her when something feels out of whack or hurts.
UncleBubba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 02:10 PM   #13
BULL21
Eight Point

Hunt In: Robert Lee

No offense to chiropractors, but if you guys have to keep going back regularly, then you aren't ever fixing the problem. You are just putting a "band aid" on it.
BULL21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 02:13 PM   #14
Head Hunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas and New Mexico

Look at Arrosti. they are awesome.
Head Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 02:29 PM   #15
ofishil
Ten Point

I like going to a chiropractor because I know when I walk out I will be feeling way better.
ofishil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 02:30 PM   #16
jmeghunts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULL21 View Post
No offense to chiropractors, but if you guys have to keep going back regularly, then you aren't ever fixing the problem. You are just putting a "band aid" on it.
I wish I could find the stats on back surgery that my chiro told me about. It basically states that 80% of people that have back surgery will have another back surgery within 10 years of the first. For me, the chiro keeps me off pain meds and away from the operating table. It may be a bandaid but it's a good one.
jmeghunts is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 02:39 PM   #17
BULL21
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeghunts View Post
I wish I could find the stats on back surgery that my chiro told me about. It basically states that 80% of people that have back surgery will have another back surgery within 10 years of the first. For me, the chiro keeps me off pain meds and away from the operating table. It may be a bandaid but it's a good one.
I never said anything about surgery, and I call BS on an 80% number. You can find any stats to prove your point. The problem with most people is that once they go and feel better, they continue to do the same self destructive actions that led to the initial injury. I personally donít care if you go or not just stating the facts.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:50 PM   #18
jmeghunts
Ten Point

Quote:
I never said anything about surgery, and I call BS on an 80% number. You can find any stats to prove your point. The problem with most people is that once they go and feel better, they continue to do the same self destructive actions that led to the initial injury. I personally donít care if you go or not just stating the facts.
But you haven't stated any facts.
jmeghunts is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 02:50 PM   #19
cap50948
Four Point

Hunt In: Hemphill, Erath, Leon, Freestone

I go once a month. Don't fight against what the chiro is trying to do. You'll just make it worse You maybe sore the day after a little then you will feel way better.

Only time I had pain was when I had a rib out and he put it back in. Didn't even know ribs could do that. When he popped that sucker back in I nearly punched him.
cap50948 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 03:00 PM   #20
DJM
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills Co,Coryell Co,Lampasas Co

Quote:
The problem with most people is that once they go and feel better, they continue to do the same self destructive actions that led to the initial injury.
The same can be said for Physical Therapy..........correct?

DJ
DJM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 03:01 PM   #21
BULL21
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeghunts View Post
But you haven't stated any facts.
Been a physical therapist for 20 years. Iíve seen more than my fair share of back surgery patients that did well. Do people have to have additional surgeries. Sure, but not 80%. If you donít change your life(being overweight, weak musculature, poor body mechanics,etc), you will having recurring problems and possible additional surgeries. The same thing happens with shoulder/hip/knee surgeries. Keep going. Itís no sweat off my back
Old 01-04-2018, 03:01 PM   #22
Smell the Glove
Ten Point

Completely got me off of pain killers and constant pain. Only needed a few adjustments and a dozen or so sessions on a decompression table. Couldn't be happier that I avoided the knife.
Smell the Glove is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 03:07 PM   #23
BULL21
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM View Post
The same can be said for Physical Therapy..........correct?

DJ
The goal of therapy is strengthening, body mechanics education,lifestyle changes not adjustments. If patients donít change their lifestyle, they will continue to have issues. You are correct in that aspect. And no even the best therapy will not always be 100%.

Last edited by BULL21; 01-04-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:25 PM   #24
Native Texan
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County

My entire family has been going to chiropractors for many years. They are our first choice over the drug pusher MD's for just about any health problem.
Native Texan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 06:06 PM   #25
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Been usin' them since I played college football... our trainer was a Chiropractor, and he was the best trainer I ever had. He kept me playin' and I had plenty muscle structure then. I just got whacked around on a pretty regular basis... He'd straighten my back out... Since then, I have continued to use them when I need it. Now it's more from over exertion or a bad physical move when loaded down and I get my skeletal structure all out of whack... My chiropractor keeps me going quite nicely. He's dang good at what he does too. He's the guy that keeps all the HSLR cowboys going between rides at the rodeo too. AND he's a long time TBH'er... so, yea, he's pretty good. He won't toot his own horn, but I'll dang sure would recommend him for skeletal issues that aren't due to something broken...

Last edited by SaltwaterSlick; 01-04-2018 at 06:08 PM.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 06:33 PM   #26
onejump
Eight Point

Hunt In: Buffalo Gap, Tuscola

Helped me with migraine headaches, shoulder out, back out and ribs keep popping out. Keeps me walking and hunting, abused my body when I was younger. I do not care for meds so it works for me.
onejump is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 07:00 PM   #27
Leon County Slayer
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Camo (Leon County) - Knifemaker<><

Firm believer in the right one. Kept me grin surgery and promoted and pushed me to change my posture which caused flare ups.
Leon County Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 07:10 PM   #28
clay4626
Eight Point

Hunt In: Roberston Co, Lincoln ranch and johnson ranch

there's good ones and bad ones like in every service offered. If you find the right one
that doesn't think he can cure any thing with adjustments then you will have good results
There are some of them that think they can cure anything even cancer and have lead people down the death road
clay4626 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 07:47 PM   #29
Anythinghunter8
Six Point

Hunt In: Flatonia

my wife goes and she bring our kids but some of them are in it for the money we had one in Houston and the lady wanted her there every other day and then we found on in Austin and he tell her see u in a couple weeks. I envy the one in Austin he is open from like 9 to 3 with a 2 hour lunch and only open Monday - Thursday I tell my wife I should have been a chiropractor
Anythinghunter8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 07:57 PM   #30
Howard
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Carta Valley

I was reluctant first trip but glad I did. Haven’t been in years but probably should get adjusted
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 08:08 PM   #31
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

I visited one for the first time a few weeks back. Older neck injury just will not go away, so I finanally went. Slow recovery still, but getting better. There are a lot of guys out there, but only a few are good. DO YOUR HOMEWORK. If they feel the need to heavily medicate you, I would leave. That's just my .02
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 08:17 PM   #32
Louis
Eight Point

Been goin to one for several years. Go on or twice a month just to keep everything lined up. I drive a big rig. I go to Dr Robert wolf. He's located in Cleveland tx. Very good. Works out of his house and very reasonable on price. Does not medicate you to do adjustments. Can give you phone number if you want
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 10:28 PM   #33
jeffpg
Ten Point

Hunt In: All of USA & Africa

I’ve had great experiences with them. It’s not like I was raised to think. There’s no black magic to it, just solid skeletal adjustments to get you back where you belong. If you get a good one they will explain exactly what they’re doing while they work on you. It’s enlightening and very helpful. And yes, you must be relaxed and open minded to get the full benefit.
jeffpg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 10:29 PM   #34
jeffpg
Ten Point

Hunt In: All of USA & Africa

Iíve had great experiences with them. Itís not like I was raised to think. Thereís no black magic to it, just solid skeletal adjustments to get you back where you belong. If you get a good one they will explain exactly what theyíre doing while they work on you. Itís enlightening and very helpful. And yes, you must be relaxed and open minded to get the full benefit.
jeffpg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 01:05 AM   #35
Draco
Pope & Young

I've been 4 times in my life. I was in serious pain every time and every time, I walked out pain free. They are great if they are good at it.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 03:40 AM   #36
stickemhard3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mont. County and Anderson County

Chiro's have made sleeping, standing up from a seated position, walking, and sitting for more than 30 min bearable again. I was in bad wreck with no seat belt that shifted and herniated a few discs. I fought the pain for about 4 years. Did physical therapy, which helped quite a bit. Even with the lifestyle change, sudden turns or twists or just sleeping wrong would throw me into a world of pain. It wasn't until i could barely walk during a 3 week stretch, at 26yrs old, that I listened to a friend and tried a chiro. Literally within days of the 1st adjustment, i was able to touch my toes for the 1st time in over a year. This chiro took and x-ray and showed me which disc was out of place and clearly stated that his adjustment alone would not fix the problem. He explained that since the disc was out of place for so long, it would take a while for my muscle to accept a new position for the disc. Above there are arguments for PT and chiro but the best solution for me was a combination. The chiro i go to now has a PT and adjustment service. He offers them as a package. The PT is structured around how you perform in certain "tests". It involves stem machine, massage, stretching, and strengthening. I have had 4 different discs out in various locations and have a neck issue that flares up as well. It is not uncommon that one disc will go back and another will shift. PT will strengthen your back and can prevent this from happening. My suggestion would be to 1st, find the root cause of your issue (mri or x-ray). Most pain can be cured by PT, but PT doesn't fix a structural issue. Do not expect over night pain relief. Your pain might go from an 8 to a 4 it almost never goes from an 8 to a 1 in a short time frame, ie. 2 weeks.
stickemhard3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 05:28 AM   #37
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

They are great. Only thing that has helped my back over the last 15 years.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 05:43 AM   #38
postman
Ten Point

I have gone to one and believe that he just short of "saved my life" , had terrible neck/shoulder pain. I would say it was the most relief from any pain I've ever experienced in my life from any medical provider. It was almost instantaneous. Now, having said that I think they can leave you at the end of each session how they want to get you to come back. They all want you to come back to keep the cash register going cha-ching, and I did, until I finally hand to say whoa.

Yes I would recommend them and I would go back if I needed to.
postman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 05:44 AM   #39
RINCON
Ten Point

Recommendations for a good chiropractor in NW HOUSTON?
RINCON is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 05:45 AM   #40
Hammerdown
Eight Point

Hunt In: Marquez, Jewett Tx and Kansas

When I was a sophomore in High school. I started having severe back pains. I played every sport under the sun and was pretty rough on my body (still am). My doctor did X-rays and said it was a pinched nerve and referred me to a chiropractor. I went to the chiro he did his own X-rays and yep it was a pinched nerve. Laid me on the table and went to cracking on me. He told me I would feel better the next day. Well that night I couldn't sleep my legs, thighs and groin area was numb. I have never been in so much pain but I managed to get back on the court and continue to play basketball. I went back to my family doctor a week later and complained about the pain I was having. He ordered more X-rays and still the same conclusion. He then sent me to another Chiro that cracked and popped me. Same results once again. It wasn't until our Athletic trainer at the high school referred me to Dr. O'neal with Sports Medicine out of Clear Lake that finally gave me some answers and it took him all of 5 minutes to diagnose me. Of course he ordered an MRI to back up his diagnosis. Turns out I was born with Spinal Bifida Occulta and developed Spondylolysis which is basically stress fractures. I had fractures to my L4 and L5 and being cracked by a Chiropractor was the last thing I needed. I haven't ever used a chiro since. 18 years later I still have back pain. Sorry that was so long!
Hammerdown is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 07:20 AM   #41
R Dubya
Eight Point

Hunt In: Eastland County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Hunter View Post
Look at Arrosti. they are awesome.
I second this idea, I went for the first time 2 weeks ago, I haven't had a migraine yet, I was having 2-3 per week.
R Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 07:28 AM   #42
TalonErickson7
Ten Point

Well, I had a lower back injury from work ďmy faultĒ lifting something wrong at a young age thinking ďIím young and my back is capable of whateverĒ anyways the pain has continued for years after going to a chiropractor today it feels much better. From what he told me my spine was actually sitting way out of place and if it wasnít for my proper sitting position I would walk funny. I feel better! And if it continues i hurt Iím going to go back and and if it hurts multiple times after that well.. I might just go back again

Old 01-05-2018, 07:29 AM   #43
IowaHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: IA + MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
My chiropractor keeps me going quite nicely. He's dang good at what he does too. He's the guy that keeps all the HSLR cowboys going between rides at the rodeo too. AND he's a long time TBH'er... so, yea, he's pretty good. He won't toot his own horn, but I'll dang sure would recommend him for skeletal issues that aren't due to something broken...

Great guy and contributor here.

Located North of Houston.
IowaHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 07:31 AM   #44
TalonErickson7
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzurovec View Post
I went to one for the first time recently, and while I felt good for a few days afterward, the pain in my middle back came back even worse than before. For me, that back pain comes and goes, so it's hard to say whether or not it was worth it. The pain isn't bad enough to keep going back and I'll deal with it until it gets worse at this point.

My co worker told me he had the same thing. He said you canít fix it in going you have to go more than once he went weekly.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:10 PM   #45
ren087
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Great, wish insurance paid for more visits.
ren087 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 12:20 PM   #46
hot_rod_eddie
Ten Point

Hunt In: NC, SC

I know a great one in Pasadena. I have been going for 8 years from Indiana to Texas to North Carolina. He was the best so far out of 5 total. From what I experience, all can help, but some are better than others. I just get straightened out, but my wife gets miracles performed on her foot, back, and headaches. PM for info.
hot_rod_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top